Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all. >
  • I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all.

• I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:33 AM

My son, (6'6 350 pound football player) used to get irritated every time he heard someone comment "I'd hate to have to feed you!" He finally started responding, "I have never asked you to by my groceries". I always thought is was a great--and very much to the point come back.
    Old 01-26-2011, 05:15 AM

1 1/2 hour trip? Go with a sewing/quilting friend. Share price of gas and dont visit the realives! Then when you go to visit you've already had your fab fix. IMO!!
    Old 01-26-2011, 05:20 AM
    Power Poster

LOL, I always tell people I dont drink or smoke, so fabric is my money pitt!
    Old 01-26-2011, 05:21 AM
    Power Poster

Rusty quilter, thats funny.
    Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 AM

Unless she has to drive you to these places just smile, get in your car and go!
    When people attack you (anyone, family or others) its almost never about YOU, its about THEM (which is not to say they should do this!).I know its very hard not to react when someone acts this way. I used to work phones at a medical bill collection co! I heard more bad crp in my life than I ever want to hear for the rest of it, but when people strike out theyre: ashamed or afraid or both.
    There may be things going on in this marriage you dont know about, they may be fighting, they may have bad money problems no one sees, anything. She is not yelling at you, shes venting about her -
    If she continues you pretty much have to let a person screetch until they just plain run out of breath, then say, "I know this can't be about me and my life choices because you dont live in my body, so figure out whats bothering YOU and get back to me" and say it sweet and smile.
    Old 01-26-2011, 06:03 AM

I always tell people quilting is entertainment cost for me, same as movie tickets, drinks out, etc. might be for them.
    Old 01-26-2011, 06:07 AM

hm and how do they spend THEIR $$? Maybe THEY need advice too??..........and WW3 begins!
    Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 AM

find a local quilt group, at a church or a shop, birds of a feather ..etc. this is no diff than collecting any thing else. You go girl!
    Old 01-26-2011, 06:38 AM

This may sound off the wall, but anyways make her a small snuggle quilt as a gift.
    If she is jealous or whatever the reason may be; it "may pull her in" and she'll "get it".
    Maybe, Invite her over to "play". It might work, but if not just keep enjoying what you do and don't let others comments deter you from something that brings you joy.
    Old 01-26-2011, 06:53 AM

Your SIL is not your keeper ! If you want to take any of her advice to you, then take what you need of it and move on, but just because they helped you after your accident, doesn't mean she can dictate what you should or should not do. After all, you have helped her too. I happen to think people quilt to satisfy their creative instinct, and the need to do that is just in you. I have seen people who are quite creatively talented, but get caught up in jobs and other things in life, and don't satisfy that creative instinct, and get bogged down in depression. Keep those creative juices going, and tell your SIL you are doing what makes YOU happy, and she should find her niche and do the same ! I'll get off my soap box now :)

FREE Quilting Newsletter