Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all. >
  • I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all.

• I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:45 AM

Rusty Quilter, that was a good one! Thanks
    Old 01-26-2011, 07:48 AM

Just laugh and say..."I don't drink, don't dance and don't bowl...and sewing keeps me out of bars." Then dance away as you look for fabric to make a new bowling shirt.
    Old 01-26-2011, 07:49 AM

Well Ladies again thanks for the encouragement, and yes advice, that is what I needed to handle this. I really appreciate it very much.

And I have started my hot wheels quilt, when I am finished I will put it on the board!
    Mary
    Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 AM

1. It's your money, and you are an adult. You get to decide when, where & how it will be spent.
    **this is what I use when folks try to bark at me. I use "that" tone of voice when I say it.

2. Sometimes you have to buy fabric when & where you find it, especially when you know what project you will use it on in the future.

3. If #1 and #2 don't stop the whining, tell them to blow it out their ears.
    Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 AM

whaaaa? You drove 1 1/2 hrs to visit her, and she started telling you that you weren't being 'frugal' enough with your money?
    Tell her you appreciate her concern, you are getting by just fine.. thank you, and you were really looking forward to spending an enjoyable afternoon browsing the fabric shops and wanted to share that with her, since you treasure time with her so much. ..... If she did it a 2nd time, I'd bypass her house on my way to the fabric store!
    Old 01-26-2011, 08:16 AM

I am sorry she was so unkind in speaking her mind. Advice... tell her you appreciate her interest and concern but quilting is your joy and even though you do have a stash, there is a quilt you have in mind that requires just one more fabric to complete it..... not really a lie and you will eventually use the new fabric with some you already have. You have to do what makes you happy. The next time you go there just take an afternoon ( or longer) to do some shopping by yourself.. they do not need to know what you purchase. Keep it in your trunk until you get home. You may not be able to say anything that will stop her from voicing her opinion.... in that case.... she is entitled to voice her opinion and you are entitled to ignore it. LOL Have a wonderful day.
    Old 01-26-2011, 08:19 AM

WOW! You got lots of wonderful advice and comments. I kind of chuckled to myself when reading your first comment. My MIL always had comments like that no matter what I was doing. After she was gone I converted 3 of the 4 SILs into quilting.

I have found in my 61 years of being a people pleaser that some have the self esteem of a worm so they tear down other people in order to make themselves feel better which of course it doesn't, so they keep up that behavior. I tell everyone including church friends, friends and relatives 'it keeps me out of the bars." Everyone just laughs! Sue
    Old 01-26-2011, 08:23 AM
    Power Poster

i get that all the time, just for those people, i keep small handmade gift on hand and give to them, it shuts them up right away. So sorry you have to deal with people like that.
    'they don't realize all the beauty we bring to life and heklp other with. it;'s a good addiction. we beautify homes, lives and warm up the place.
    i'm backing you up 100%.
    Old 01-26-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
    I went to visit my bro.& sis in law this past week. Being I am a newbee here and really learning a lot, I always tell her what I have been doing and have done, even showed her some of my work,

well this time, I wanted to go to mill outlet(Clinton,NC) to just look at fabric}. And also walmart. She went off on me, stating the fact that I was crazy in trying to get more fabric, which she knows I have a stash here at home. she said, use what you have then get more later. (I did find a hotwheels material, at walmart, going to make a lap quilt for a boy).

but what she said kinda bothered me.
    Yeah she knows I don't have much money coming in too, and she pounced on that too. Spending on fabric I don't need, she just kept on and on.

So for the question, how do I handle people like this, more negative stuff thrown at me? I really have watched what I do spend. Spent $4.44 for that yard of fabric(hot wheels).

But if I am to be a quilter. what can I do to reply to the negatives of others like this?? I do have some old clothes to tear up, but I still would like to get more fabric, and so on.

Sort of on a downer about this too. maybe I need an uplift this time.
    Thanks for listening. and giving me an answer
    Mary
    You buy fabric she buys booze & cigarettes. Don't worry about it. If it makes you happy buy a piece of fabric. I do this too. I spend money on my toys instead of fancy clothes. As long as I have nice jeans & shirt or tee shirts I'm happy. My mom buys those stupid (to Me) gothic romance novels. She's not hurting for money but to me it is a waste. I would rather have fabrics, notions or new sewing toys. Chin up girl, you take care of you.
    Old 01-26-2011, 08:31 AM

Someone once had the nerve to ask me why I 'waste' so much money on fabric. I told him that it gives me an artistic outlet and something to do, and the final result is a quilt that will keep my family warm for years. I asked him then why he wasted his money on cigarettes that literally go up in smoke, cost more than my fabric and leaves nothing behind except black lungs and a bad stink. Lol, he sure felt foolish.

FREE Quilting Newsletter