Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all. >
  • I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all.

• I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 AM

You might want to quit telling her what you have been doing also, & not even bother to show her what you have been working on. I would find someone else to share that creative info with. Let her wonder!...
    Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 AM

Some sisters-in-law can be real busy bodies, but grown daughters have strong opinions and advice also.

My husband and I moved from our house of over 40 years to a retirement facility in March. I had to fight to take my fabric and sewing supplies as well as to find a place large enough to contain them. My sewing is my escape since I am caregiver for a disabled husband.

Anyway, I did give away lots of sewing stuff, but in the end kept what I wanted. Using these supplies to make items for a craft sale has been a wonderful way to meet people. Also, it is amazing how often our daughters say "Mom, can you make.........?"

Stick to your guns!!!!! You will be glad you did.
    Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 AM

Oh, the best advice I can give you, is not to shop with this woman anymore, at least not for stash, as it's plain to see, she just doesn't get it, & she probably would not be one I would ever gift a quilt to either!... She needs to get a life & stay out of yours also. I didn't notice you asking her, for her opinion, but seems you got an earful anyway. Not nice at all!....[/quote]

I totally agree with you Nancy. :thumbup:
    Old 01-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Tell her you are considering selling on ebay As your skills progress.
    Old 01-26-2011, 11:28 AM

Seems like your sil needs a hobby of her own. Obviously, you know your own budget and are not splurging outrageously. Plus you are making a gift. I think it's better to make a personalized gift for someone. You have the joy of making the gift and they feel special when receiving it. That's better than spending money on a thoughtless gift. So sad that your sil is so depressed that she can't be happy for you.
    Old 01-26-2011, 11:39 AM

Maybe she is worried if you spend your money on fabric, you won't have enough to lend them when they need it. I find if you look deep enough, its always about the money. Its your money and you do what makes you happy. If I start getting "out of sorts" my kids say Mom needs a fabric fix. It always makes me feel better.
    Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 AM

You could tell her that you have a "quilting" budget, and that the way you spend your money is really no concern of hers. If she can go off on you like that, you have a right to a comeback.
    Old 01-26-2011, 11:46 AM

I have learned dealing with in-laws is like being a duck in water, just gotta let things roll off like a duck does when it gets wet.
    In-laws (especially one sister in law who came to live with us for a while) have no business asking you anything. This one was upset as I didn't tell her how much we make or share what our bills were.. What ?? Nunya !! That is an ABC conversation: A<you>talking to B<dh>and her c-ing her way out of the conversation !!
    I agree with everyone and especially Julianna, Maybe her way of cutting you down is to do what she did to make her feel better. That is how I justify my sister in law and her remarks. I just ignore alot of what she states anymore and move forward. I usually go into my sewing room and quilt or sew when they are around. No comments made no nasty remarks made, and surely nothing said that will make one regret what was said later (as some people really carry a grudge for life!).
    Its your thing, do what you wanna do !
    Old 01-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Not everybody understands just what quilting means to us.Some people paint,some do ceramics,some music,the point is everybody has something they turn to for comfort and enjoyment.I personally ignore most comments like that,if I can.I will quilt any way! So you hang in there and if you want to talk quilting, talk we,re always ready and willing to listen! LOL
    Old 01-26-2011, 01:34 PM

The only possible way to save money when sewing is to watch for sales and stock up with stuff you WILL use. I'd say this person is speaking from depression.

FREE Quilting Newsletter