Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I might be the only one who didn't know this but... >
  • I might be the only one who didn't know this but...

• I might be the only one who didn't know this but...

Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 PM
    Power Poster

In my opinion - a DRY toilet seat is probably less 'contaminated' than many other things we come in contact with in our daily rounds.

But the ladies that sprinkle when they tinkle - GRRRRRRRRRRR -

change that to 'females that sprinkle when they tinkle - - - -'
    Old 05-12-2012, 06:44 PM

I am in the school that believes people are going overboard today with worrying about contaminents. I have heard studies that our children have so many allergies and reactions to thing because they never have the chance for their bodies to build up immunities. Chill out. Wash you veggies when you get home. Wipe down your bag occasionally and things will be fine.
    Old 05-12-2012, 06:45 PM

Well, I always keep my purse hanging on my shoulder. If you put it in the buggy, and you are looking at stuff.....very easy for someone to snag it! As far as germs, they didn't even used to make that hand sanitizer. I say just using common sense, washing your hands, good hygiene, etc. is enough. That's why we have an immune system.
    Old 05-12-2012, 06:47 PM

I do wash my hands a lot or use the little bottle of sanitizer I carry in my purse. Also I put my purse in the cart and use
    the belt that holds a child thru my purse handle and click it. That way if some one thinks they want my purse, the cart
    goes with them and they are readily noticed. Needless to say I don`t have small children any more.
    Old 05-12-2012, 06:59 PM

I always wipe the handle but didn't think of the seat. Thank you!!!! My daughter was infected with Mersa and has no idea where she got it . She fought it for over a year and they say she will always carry it in her body.
    Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 PM
    Power Poster

I watched a report about what gets ground up in all the packaged food we eat. YUCK! I will not tell you what they say was worst one because I don't want to ruin one of life's simple pleasures. I try not to think about what is on my shopping cart or toilet seat because it can make you crazy. I wash my hands as often as possible because the experts say that helps a lot.
    Old 05-12-2012, 07:59 PM
    Power Poster

I don't worry about things like that. I have better things to think about. Germs are necessary for our bodies to fight off bad things.
    Old 05-12-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane
    When we were kids, we ate dirt all the time. We survived and I'm afraid to think of what might have been in that!!
    Ditto. Mom raised us on the "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" rule. I cringe every time I see commercials for sanitizers for this, that, and everything. gosh ... why not just douse the house and kids with bleach and cover them all in plastic?
    Old 05-12-2012, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane
    When we were kids, we ate dirt all the time. We survived and I'm afraid to think of what might have been in that!!
    AZ Jane...I was just thinking about "eating dirt" before I got to your post. As a child, I did that all the time, too! LOL As of today (never take anything for granted!), I'm still alive. I do think we can "over-sanitize" kids to the point where they DO catch every little germ and get sick. My sister is a nurse and will drive me crazy sometimes with all the things she's germ-a-phobic about. And I imagine she ate a little dirt when she was a kid, too, since we have the same parents! HeHe
    Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 PM

My mom kept the house clean enough, and I have too. My children have survived quite nicely (27 & 30). One time when they were small and we were visiting my parents with my sister's family. We had given the kids some M&M's in small cups. My youngest niece accidentally dropped some on the floor quickly picked them up put and put them in her mouth. My brother-in-law was horrified and I said, "God made dirt, it won't hurt." So he relaxed a bit. If we were out in the general public area I may be concerned, but we were at my Mother's house and in her kitchen which was mopped at a regular intervals and swept almost daily.

Have you ever seen Mythbusters? They did a show about "double dipping" tortilla chips in salsa. That is not to say they licked the chips only bitten off and re-dipped. They found first of all the salsa already had a lot of normal germs, so there was no difference afterwards. But then they sterilized the salsa and did it again and it was so nominal. And not the horrible disease spreading we have all been lead to believe.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 05-12-2012 at 09:57 PM.