Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I might be the only one who didn't know this but... >
  • I might be the only one who didn't know this but...

• I might be the only one who didn't know this but...

Old 05-13-2012, 07:02 AM
    Power Poster

I wipe down my cart and always close the toilet seat lid. My hubby thinks i'm paranoid (sp)!!
    Old 05-13-2012, 07:21 AM

Germs only "bother" me, if someone is coughing around me. However, I have been known to wipe the cart handle, when there's a lot of flu going around. My house is "clean enough, to be healthy . . . and dirty enough, to be happy."

I agree with the over-sanitizing ourselves danger. If we refuse to embrace the harmless germs, we'll be wiped-out, in a hurry, when the big ones come along.
    Old 05-13-2012, 09:00 AM

Studies have shown that grocery carts are among the dirtiest objects we touch on a frequent basis. Some of the others include: door handles, atm machines, women's purses (think of all the places they get set down, including some restrooms) and cell phones. As far as dirty diapers in the cart, I always sanitize my carts (though I am an advocate of handwashing and not using sanitizer) just to be safe. The study done on grocery carts showed that along with germs and bacteria, fecal matter was one of the substances found in highest concentrations on carts.
    Old 05-13-2012, 09:37 AM

THIS is my pet peeve.

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    In my opinion - a DRY toilet seat is probably less 'contaminated' than many other things we come in contact with in our daily rounds.

But the ladies that sprinkle when they tinkle - GRRRRRRRRRRR -

change that to 'females that sprinkle when they tinkle - - - -'
    Old 05-13-2012, 10:51 AM

I don't let myself worry too much either about things like that. Not meaning I'm completely unconcerned but a healthy awareness is fine, I think. Besides, we need to breath and who knows who's lungs that air has been in before. And money...are we ever going to stop handling money? (well, maybe seeing as it's becoming more of a cashless society). But, think about the number of hands and places money has been. We'd drive ourselves crazy if we tried to sanitize everything.
    Old 05-13-2012, 10:53 AM
    elm

Originally Posted by jcrow
    When I went grocery shopping with my niece two summers ago in Texas, I grabbed a cart and stuck my purse in the top part of the cart. She stared at me for the longest time before she told me that people put kids with dirty diapers up there. I couldn't believe I hadn't ever even thought about that. And all that time I was putting my nice purses there. And I would save the top part for my bagged fruit and veggies. Oh my!!! Makes me cringe when I think about it. Did you all know that? I can't believe I never thought about it before.
    That's why my local supermarkets supply wipes that you can clean the handle bar with. I use them first on my hands (the carts are outside, the wipes just inside the door) then on the handlebar and then on the whole upper basket. Only takes a minute and makes me feel much better.
    Old 05-13-2012, 12:47 PM

I also NEVER leave my purse unattended in any store. There is always someone around looking for an easy hit.
    Old 05-13-2012, 12:53 PM

I agree with you. I just keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my purse and use it after I go to stores, etc.
    Old 05-13-2012, 02:13 PM

I will always wipe down the cart seat and handles before using them and also after using them. After loading my groceries in the car I have hand sanitizer in the car I use. Grant it, there are times I do use pens, door knobs, restrooms that others have used but I try to always sanitize when I am able. I for one hate getting sick because when I do it takes forever to get over something anymore.
    Old 05-13-2012, 02:56 PM

And I thought that maybe I was paranoid. I grew up on a dairy. Dogs were outside animals. Do you want to know why I do not want a dog putting their wet nose or tongue on me. I know that if I pet a dog that I have to wash my hands right away. Get the picture? Dairy farm, cows, horses, goats. All their stuff is not dropped in toilets and flushed in to some underground system. Dogs love to roll in this stuff, smell and even eat a little of this stuff. If that doesn't gross you out how about this. City dogs do this too. They use their tongue to do what I use toilet paper for.

My best friend is laying in by my Lazboy waiting for my DH to carry her out side again. Tomorrow our neigbor (a vet) will bring a shot of something to help her with the pain she is enduring. If that doesn't work then he will give her a second shot and we will lay her out between our orange trees with our other friends of years past. Abby is first and only dog I have allowed in the house and she has become a true friend to me.