Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I need surgery ...a little scared here >
  • I need surgery ...a little scared here

• I need surgery ...a little scared here

Old 05-12-2011, 05:02 AM

Pjaco, I was told the same thing. Lose some weight and that will help. Well, while munch on a large chocolate bar (a main food group). I decided YES I need to lose weight. Now I only munch on tiny chocolate bars. LOL just kidding. I am hoping to resume a walking schedule after surgery.
    Old 05-12-2011, 05:10 AM
    Power Poster

I really didn't have any pain after the surgery. I remember expecting to and not having it!! I do remember icing it per doctor's orders and elevating it.
    Old 05-12-2011, 05:14 AM

I just had my meniscus repaired in february.. They ended up leaving the cyst alone.
    the first couple of weeks are hard. especially the first few days, when its all fresh. Can't walk around, gotta hobble. Mobility comes pretty quickly. It amazed me how everyday i got a little better at walking.
    I just graduated physical therapy last week, and can almost completely bend my knee! Woo hoo! kneeling, still isn't all that doable, but it will be.
    Old 05-12-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    Pjaco, I was told the same thing. Lose some weight and that will help. Well, while munch on a large chocolate bar (a main food group). I decided YES I need to lose weight. Now I only munch on tiny chocolate bars. LOL just kidding. I am hoping to resume a walking schedule after surgery.
    I had knee surg. about 20 yrs ago on my left knee, it was nice because I too was nervous but I woke up thinking when is that dr going to get this done and I was in recovery. Its over before you know it. Just dont over do it for a while, you'll feel better and want to do more but dont, you'll feel it for the next week. My other knee is bad now and I am sure I will have to have surg on that one too.
    Old 05-12-2011, 05:21 AM

I had a torn meniscus, had surgery to clean it out and repair it. I was off work for two weeks, then back for 6 weeks of light duty. I wore a brace for the whole eight weeks, and did my physical therapy three times a week, and I have not had any problems with it since. Follow your doctors orders and you will be fine! :)
    Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 AM

will be praying for peace... and a quick recovery! Please follow your doctors directions re: weight-bearing/non weight-bearing, etc. And really try to follow your therapist's plan, too! Therapy is not particularly fun, but it gets the job done!!
    Old 05-12-2011, 06:30 AM

I had my knee done a couple of years ago, I was amazed how quickly I was up and about. ICE-ICE-ICE, then ice some more!! Do your stretching, and keep it elevated. The scars are really tiny, so you don't have to worry about huge old scars!! :D
    Old 05-12-2011, 07:19 AM

I am going in to have a total knee replacement in about 6 weeks, I am also scared, but I have had 3 hip replacements on the left side so I can go through anything I think.
    You will be fine with all us here praying for you, just remember that.
    Old 05-12-2011, 07:39 AM

I had the surgeries on my left knee, and three months later on my right knee. Then two years later I fell down the steps on a bent right knee and had to have the surgery done again on it. With the first surgery I came home feeling no pain went up and down the steps as usual during the rest of the day. The next day, I paid for it dearly. Keep your leg elevated throughout the day and especially at night, use ice packs to reduce the swelling, but most importantly, you must do those exercises. They really help to speed your recovery. Also take the pain medication the doctor gives you. Don't try and tough it out. Your body will heal faster if it is not under the stress of pain. Best of luck to you.
    Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 AM

I will pray for sucess. They have that mocroscopic surgery now makes it a lot easyer on you.