Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I need surgery ...a little scared here >
  • I need surgery ...a little scared here

• I need surgery ...a little scared here

Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 AM

I have had this surgery a couple of times, I'm sure they are doing arthroscopy (spelling?), It is amazing how fast you bounce back. I had some difficulty with swelling, but a teacher friend had the same surgery at about the same time and whilst I was still nursing mine, he was out playing basketball with "his" team, which my daughter was on. It has a lot to do with your physical shape prior too the surgery. If you have a little time before the surgery, you might do some extra walking. That doesn't mean go out and hurt yourself. LOL!! Good luck, if you are having pain now, you will be thankful after the surgery due to lack of that pain.!!
    Old 05-12-2011, 09:14 AM

I have had my left knee scoped twice for meniscus problems. The first time was to repair the torn meniscus. Second time 8 years later was for the same problem, but this time the meniscus was removed. The recovery period is relatively short (2-3 weeks) depending on your general health and the extent of the repair. I would not hesitate to have done again if necessary. Pain depends a lot on your tolerance and becomes less each day. You will need physical therapy to help bring your knee back to normal.
    Good luck and speedy recovery.
    P.S. Can this be postponed till winter, then you would not miss all the summer fun.
    Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 AM

Why not put together a kit for sewing during recovery? If you can't use a machine, pick up english paper piecing or applique?
    Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 AM

You will do fine. a friend of mine had this done and can hardly remember the pain before he had it done... you will do fine... just do the physio, it will help in strengthoning everything around it .... my prayers are with you while recouperating... also i'm sure with you working at a church group they are quite accomodating!
    Trust in the Lord and all will turn out as he planned!!! (Maybe you were meant to relax a bit more this summer!)
    :thumbup:
    Old 05-12-2011, 10:07 AM
    Banned

It's natural to be a bit nervous when you hear the word "surgery". Everyone would be (or has been). So you're in good company there. :-D The important thing is to move past that as best you can and call on the Lord to give you strength and peace. You have a great support system here as well.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers as you take this journey.
    Old 05-12-2011, 02:04 PM

I had my right knee done 2 weeks ago. It's doing great. My Dr. had me take 2 weeks off of work, but I don't stand all day. I have great motion, I'm still getting my strength back from the surgery trauma. I was out walking around a bit today, it hurt a little but is doing better than I expected. I am assuming that the are going in arthroscopic ally, you will have only 2 or 3 small holes in your knee, I have 2.
    Keep it elevated and iced as much as you can the first week or two and go to therapy. I suggest that you try and bend it within a couple hours and do it often. maybe after you take pain drugs, the first one I had done 3 years ago froze up on me. This one I have a great bend on it. I have been to therapy 3 times so far and it's doing great!!!
    Old 05-12-2011, 04:21 PM

You're in our prayers. You will be okay. Please let us know how things go for you. I pray you will soon be up and sewing again. Maybe some handwork would help you during the time you need to stay off your feet. I like to knit and crochet and it helps me to have something to do with my hands.
    Old 05-13-2011, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I do remember icing it per doctor's orders and elevating it.
    Make your own "soft" ice pack:

1 part Rubbing Alcohol
    2 parts Water

I use a quart bag and put in 2 cups water and 1 cup alcohol. Make sure you double bag it..

for covering a larger area,use a gallon bag,and double the recipe

or if your lucky enough to own a "seal a meal" vac thing..you could make a leak proof one!

i used this when i had the knee replacement surgeries.
    Old 05-13-2011, 03:29 AM

Don't sweat it. The repair job you're going in for is a piece of cake. I was walking on my repair the night of surgery, feeling better than I had in years. Unfortunately, six months later, I fell up the stairs as i came in the house and undid the surgical handy work. Had a re do to fix it up. Still a piece of cake. Now, however, and totally unrelated, I'm having a knee replacement on the same knee this coming Tuesday.

Ya got it easy - remember the ice, elevation and exercise advise, and you'll be a happy camper.
    Old 05-13-2011, 03:32 AM

I had torn menisus about 6 years ago-had arthroscopic surgery -did great-knee felt much better-I was never scared but maybe that's because I used to work in the OR. Truly if that's the surgery you are having -nothing to it.