Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I need surgery ...a little scared here >
  • I need surgery ...a little scared here

• I need surgery ...a little scared here

Old 05-13-2011, 07:34 AM

Any surgery is a little scary, but you will do fine, and just think how wonderful it will be when its all over with and you have recovered.
    Old 05-13-2011, 07:51 AM

I had two tears in my meniscus and had surgery last year. It was really a breeze, outpatient surgery. Had to wear a brace for a short time, and ice it and elevate it at first, but very little pain, and a big relief from the bad pain I had before the surgery. DOn't be afraid of this, it's really not to bad at all.
    Old 05-13-2011, 08:11 AM

I had the same surgery a year ago....I have absolutely no pain in that knee now.....I don't know why I waited so long.....
    Old 05-13-2011, 08:34 AM

I've had several. Do all the physical therapy afterwards and stay off as long as your doctor says. I worked in a wheel chair for a while.
    Old 05-13-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    Hello! I just found out yesterday that I need surgery soon for a torn right knee menicus & a discoid meniscus with a small cyst. It is not the news I really wanted to hear with summer starting. Really, I am just feeling kinda low. I have never had surgery in my whole 55 yrs except to have my tubes tied 24 years ago. It's sort of scary. Plus, I work 32 hrs per week alot of it on concrete floor standing all day. I am just scared how this is going to affect my finances. Has anyone else had this surgery? Your input would be most welcome.
    Hi - My DH had a knee done like you describe, and he was back moving pretty well in just a very few weeks. And his knee did very well healing over time. A woman I work with had both knees replaced (at different times) and another one had both replaced at the same time. Knees are common....I can understand how you feel, but the outcome will be worth the procedure. We will pray for you!
    Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Any surgery is scary. One thing you might want to get before is a "high rise" for your bathroom stool. It's easier to go to the bathroom when you're up higher and don't have to worry about bending you knee. It also makes it easier to get up and down It's different at first, but what a lifesaver. And like someone else said,do your physical therapy.The more you do it, the faster you'll be up and back to normal. Are they going to put you out or just numb the area? You'll be fine,just take one day at a time.
    Old 05-13-2011, 08:55 AM

My daughter had this surgery maybe not quite a extent as yours, she did well, had the surgery during summer when she is off work and had a good recovery. I am not sure how long she was off theg (or told to be off) but it did nto seem tokeep her down. I am guessing with your work, you might have to cut back on your time at the job if you stand the whole time. It seems to be a common surgery for the knees. Good luck, take care.
    Linda
    P S Maybe you can ask employer to find another spot with less standing for a while.
    Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 AM

There are many times in our lives that we face things over which we have no control; this is one of those times for you. I have not had the type of surgery that you describe, but I have had a total knee replacement. Was I concerned? You bet! I knew, however, that I could not go on living with the pain that I had and so told myself that this had to be. Am I glad I did it? You bet. My life has been ever so much better. I don't even remember that I did have it except for looking at the mark going down my left knee. Wish I had done it sooner.
    You, too, will feel so much better when it's over. Just try to relax, stay calm, say your prayers, and it will soon be over.
    Old 05-13-2011, 10:55 AM

I had meniscuous repair in my left knee last Sept and did just fine. As all the others have said "follow doctors instructions" and you will be fine. Icing and elevating my knee above my heart for 20 minutes every hour the first day was very helpful. I started therapy about 4 days after surgery and I truly believe in P.T. Played golf two months later and had no problem. I am using a stationary bike 3 or 4 times a week and I believe that helps tremendously also. I for one did not have tremendous pain. Good luck to you, you will be in my prayers.
    Jackie
    Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 PM

I've had this suregey and it wasn't nearly as bad as I had heard! I was up and about and pretty much back to normal in less than 6 wks. I am also 55 and just had it done last Dec. Best thing I ever did!
    I wish you the best!!! Keep us posted on how you're doing, please?

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    Hello! I just found out yesterday that I need surgery soon for a torn right knee menicus & a discoid meniscus with a small cyst. It is not the news I really wanted to hear with summer starting. Really, I am just feeling kinda low. I have never had surgery in my whole 55 yrs except to have my tubes tied 24 years ago. It's sort of scary. Plus, I work 32 hrs per week alot of it on concrete floor standing all day. I am just scared how this is going to affect my finances. Has anyone else had this surgery? Your input would be most welcome.