I remember when....

Old 09-12-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
* It was BIG news when our garbage man married one of the
Okay, you explained about their ages, but you never finished the sentence. One of the whats? One of the town scarlet women?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
"Halo everybody, Halo~ Halo is the shampoo that glorifies your hair, so Halo everybody Halo.............remember the jingle??
Actually, yes and no. Not for a hair product, but I remember a TV commercial (it was also a TV ad) about kids putting on a Christmas play. A woman is straightening the halo of a little blond girl with glasses, and calling out, "Halo, everybody, halo!" I think it was either an ad for Kraft cheese or for laundry detergent.

I never quite got why she was saying that, so maybe it was a reference to the hair commercial.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:19 PM

I grew up mostly in s.California and remember walking over to my cousins house 2 miles away barefoot. We'd see how many pop bottles(.03 for each)my aunt had for us to put in the wagon and take to the store to buy candy and soda pops.
Anyone recall the Helm's bakery trucks? They were yellow Chevy panel trucks and had lots of shelves built into them to hold all the baked goods for sale. I was born in 1957.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Dee

I was born in 1943 and raised in St. Paul, Mn. I wouldn't trade the 50's and 60's for anything. We truly lived and it was the last of the Happy Days. All the memories written, were wonderful to read, as they all brought back many beautiful, wholesome, honest living memories we all have shared, in one place or another.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Banned

I was raised in Portland,OR and they had a penny saver store, that we would walk to, the candy was 1 cents and the candy bars were a nickle. and there was a sence dairy we would walk to to get a fudge sickle, and I remember people getting milk delevered in glass containers. God bless. life was so simple then.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by Edie
I remember when I went to a party with my father and came home with my mother!

Tah Dum!

Edie
Huh?
That's an old joke from the 50's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Edie
Old 09-13-2010, 03:04 AM

Good Grief! I remember sweaters (cardigans) worn backwards. Remember the drawer full of different collars? Argyle knee highs? I had Bucks (those were the Pat Boone white buck shoes), scarves around our necks that had to be tied just so in a square knot that we wore with the knot either at the front or off to the side. Pep Cereal, 7-Up candy bars. Yes, I feel sorry for the kids who missed that time in the 50's. So much innocence. Remember when we had to sneak "Peyton Place" into the house to read under the covers? It was such a "dirty" book. My golly, I hear ten times worse than that on an audio book. And now they say THAT word and I rememb er the first time I ever heard THAT word, I came home and asked my mother what it meant - she knew! But told me it was the worst word there was and I was never to say it to anyone at all ever, much less say it to myself. The wrath of the mother would be upon me had I ever said that word. At 72, I still do not say that word, but I sure have heard other oldsters belt THAT word out without batting an eyelash. It was such an innocent time. Edie
Old 09-13-2010, 03:51 AM

Oh, yes - the saddle shoes - I loved them 'back then'. We were married in 1955; our daughter was born a year later in 1956 nd our son in 1957. To this day, our daughter's favorite songs are the "Oldies". We lived in Illinois then and a little in Ohio in the 50's. Loved those times.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:23 AM

I am originally from Springfield Illinois, and remember the boys folding up the hems of their Levis so the seam was displayed proudly - and I wore skirts and with my socks pulled up so no one could see the skin on my legs........ WOW - have times changed - it seems like wherever you look now, women and girls have their breasts exposed!!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:52 AM

I was also born in 1932,all these stories bring back so many memories. My grands like to ask me to tell them about the Olden Days,. I even convinced the youngest that I came to Texas in a covered wagon.....So much fun te rememinence.I graduated hi school in1949 now that is some memories......