I remember when....

Old 09-10-2010, 05:48 AM

My first job after high school was at a big corporate law firm on Wall St. in NYC. Yes, back in the 50's we wore dresses, skirts and blouses, heels and stockings to work. If we worked on Saturday I usually wore a casual outfit of slacks with a matching sweater or sweater set. I didn't like wearing hats but wore gloves all the time as accents to my outfits or coats. I had lovely slips trimmed with lots of lace and ribbons. Most gals wore girdles with snaps attached to hold up their stockings. Back in those days I didn't need a girdle so I wore a garter belt to hold up my stockings.

Late 60's- early 70's changed everything, you wore panty hose with your dresses and in some work places could even wear pant suits so out the window went slips, girdles, hats and gloves. Can't say I missed them much but miss buying the lacey slips.

Yes, $1.00 per hour was considered good pay for a beginning position in early 1950's. $37.50 a week, 15 to Mom for the house, another 5 that she put in the bank for me (banks closed at 3pm daily and don't remember if they were open on Sat.) and the rest was for me for lunch, carfare, movies, clothes, etc. May in Jersey
Old 09-10-2010, 06:40 AM

Man will this tell on me. I remember when Daddy would give my brother and me 50 cents. we would ride the bus to downtown Dallas,go to a movie,buy popcorn and a candy bar,and a drink,ride the bus back home on the old Dallas Ft worth road. rolof. Oh yes the little town I was from in West Tx ,had one filling station, one cafe, a school ,and a church. I had the same first grade teacher that my parents had, her name was Mrs, Flowers will never forget. The last thing I have heard of from there, was an article in the Dallas Times Herald was there was 1 graduating senior that year. Now dont ask what year that was because I cant remember, A senior moment or what.?
Old 09-10-2010, 06:48 AM

Every summer my sister and I would go to my greatgrandmother in Pulaski Va, we would stay all summer and walk to town to go to the movies ( only had two in the town). We were from a lot bigger city and it was so much fun to be able to go to town by ourselfs. We look forward every summer going to the small town. I still have a aunt in Dublin which is even smaller. I still like to go see her in the country. It really hasn't change in all this time. I think the movies has closed down.

Granny k
Old 09-10-2010, 07:10 AM

What memories! I grew up in the late 50s - 60s. Collecting pop bottles to turn in at a little store for a loaf of Wonder bread and a pound of sliced bologna that we fried and made sandwiches (Yummmm!).

Wearing pants under our dresses when we walked to school in the winter. Putting bread bags on our feet before putting on boots to go play in the snow. Making snow ice cream. Walking to and from the movies - if it was after dark on the way home, we always ran as fast as we could past the creepy funeral home!

As teenagers, getting 50 cents of gas on Friday and driving around town all weekend long. After we were married and DH came home from Vietnam, we were stationed in Virginia - we were shocked that gas there was 30 cents a gallon (about 5 cents higher than at home)and his pay was about $320 a month and our rent was $150!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:05 AM

My dad worked for the power company so we got transferred about every 3 years. We moved from a little town in Ky to Steubenville OH. What a culture shock. Movies went from 25 cents to $4.50! Will never forget the first time we had to pay that!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:48 AM

I remember when I went to a party with my father and came home with my mother!

Tah Dum!

Edie
Old 09-10-2010, 08:50 AM

I remember when I went to a party with my father and came home with my mother!

Tah Dum!

I remember when my sister and I would pick potato bugs and my grandfather would give us a penny for every 10 we would pick. Then we would tear down to the dime store and get a book of paper dolls for a dime!

I remember trying to teach my grandfather's chicks how to swim.

Edie
Old 09-10-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Woolworth's, OMG, where else could you buy windmill cookies and a parakeet in the same store.
We actually bought a pet alligator there!!

My favorite memory of Woolworth's is the tuna sandwiches they had. They were so yummy. We only got to go when my grams would take us. I remember they would have balloons blown up and tied around and inside would be a piece of paper with a price on it. the price was what you had to pay for your banana split. My grams was the one that always took us to the dentist. She would take us there after the appt. to get ice cream. It was hard to eat because your face was numb and it would melt and run down your chin.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 AM

A favorite memory... reaching the age when I could walk from my house to the town square with my cousins to the 5& Dime called Mary's Variety. You could get a tiny brown bag filled with peanuts for a nickel. The toy counter was full of things for under 25cents. Rubber balls, jacks, cards, tops, jump ropes, rubber bugs, plastic dolls, GI joes. I wanted a hula hoop but they cost a dollar.. But I did eventually get one and boy did I ever love that. I tried one not to long ago .. it is my grandaughters.. lets just say I shoudnt have.. lol
Old 09-10-2010, 10:39 AM

Am glad I'm not the only one from that time era. Boy talk about same things different town. My children always marvel that I had to help mow the grass (for not only our lawn but 3 other connecting neighbors) and my mom would give me a dollar to fill the gas can , and I would ride my bike down the 3 or 4 blocks, fill the can and still have enough(I think it was a nickel) to buy peanuts out of the "vending machine". It was one of those glass filled jars that you put a coin in and turned the crank, like a gumball machine. I ate so many peanuts from that gas station(one of 2 in town) the owner called me peanuts! We never locked our doors, always played outside till the street lights came on, cause then you knew it was time for supper, divorce was something nobody did, and instead of harvest gold, our kitchen was BRIGHT yellowand the playroom was BRIGHT orange. AAAAGH the 70's. I know there' lots more but I won't bore you any further.