I remember when....

Old 09-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mrsk
Am glad I'm not the only one from that time era. Boy talk about same things different town. My children always marvel that I had to help mow the grass (for not only our lawn but 3 other connecting neighbors) and my mom would give me a dollar to fill the gas can , and I would ride my bike down the 3 or 4 blocks, fill the can and still have enough(I think it was a nickel) to buy peanuts out of the "vending machine". It was one of those glass filled jars that you put a coin in and turned the crank, like a gumball machine. I ate so many peanuts from that gas station(one of 2 in town) the owner called me peanuts! We never locked our doors, always played outside till the street lights came on, cause then you knew it was time for supper, divorce was something nobody did, and instead of harvest gold, our kitchen was BRIGHT yellowand the playroom was BRIGHT orange. AAAAGH the 70's. I know there' lots more but I won't bore you any further.
I won't be bored!! I was born in 55 and I remember alot of similar things. We love to hear these stories so tell as many as you like!!
Old 09-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I am enjoying all the stories too. :)
Old 09-10-2010, 01:10 PM

I remember buying a candy bar and a coke for 10 cents. Playing outside till we were made to come in. Always wearing dresses. Having a prayer and saying the Pledge of Allegiance every day I went to school. Splitting a half gallon of ice cream between the five of us after church on Sunday night. Visiting Grandparents every Sunday. Driving a 1964 Volkswagon for a week on $1.60 in gas. We were not rich in money but we were rich in the love we had for each other. I have so many wonderful memories I could never list them all. I am very thankful for all of them.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:23 PM

I was born in 43 and lived in a small town called Pine Bush N.Y We went to school on a school bus that let all the dust in from the dirt roads.On Sunday my parents would drive me to sunday school and after they would give me a dime for a candy and comic book. Summers where the best we would play outside all day and have lemomaid on the porch. We had a kill running in the front and one in the back a short distance from our house. We played there all summer and had such fun!!!!What "MEMORIES"
Old 09-10-2010, 02:50 PM

It needs to be said - in this day,. we have all seen the awful life that the average person endures, I wouldn't trade the 50's and 60's with anyone. It is quite sad that our grandchildren could not experience the innocent times that we had lived back when ---- remember when everyone was quaranteened from polio? We all managed, didn't we? The family unit was BIG, morals were high, and life was so much better, wasn't it?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Banned

Growing up in a small town ---

* The post office was the front room of a ladies house.

* My mother named the street - until 'they' realized the name everyone was using wasn't actually the real name of the street.

* We had 7 bars, no schools and no churches in our town. (according to my dad - I only remember 1 bar not 7)

*Everyone seemed to be related to each other in elementary school

* Our 'block' was 9 miles around!

* There were no Fast food places in the area.

* The mall was 30 - 45 miles away

* There was no Dairy Queen, just a place called the Char-Bar owned by... yes, Charles and Barbara

* We had Redi Killowatt statue that was put on the lake each winter and we had a contest to guess when he would fall into the water when spring came! I won second place one year!

* We had 4 households on our party line phone and Daddy put us on a 10 minute limit on phone calls because he was Fire chief and needed to be able to recieve phone calls, even though we could hear the fire house siren from our house - Mom and I used to follow the fire truck to watch the bigger fires.

* Daddy new when anyone got a new car by the time of day they drove past our house

* It was BIG news when our garbage man married one of the

* I remember my closest friend my age lived 10 +/- miles away.

So many memories....
Old 09-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

I remember watching Carol Burnett with my dad and watching Lawrence Welk on Sat evenings with my grandparents.

I remember playing croquet as a family grandparents aunts and uncles and cousins.

There were 2 five and dime stores in town. Harrison's had several tables that had glass dividers and in the spaces created they had all kinds of kid things. Whistles,combs, mirrors, little dolls, purses, tin stars,yoyos, jacks, marbles etc lots and lots of things.
You could buy dishes or clothes or baby items or boots or just about anything there.
Penny candy galore. You could get a handful of candy for a penny.

Hoaglin's was the other one on the opposite side of the square. they had a real monkey in a cage at the back of the store.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
It needs to be said - in this day,. we have all seen the awful life that the average person endures, I wouldn't trade the 50's and 60's with anyone. It is quite sad that our grandchildren could not experience the innocent times that we had lived back when ---- remember when everyone was quaranteened from polio? We all managed, didn't we? The family unit was BIG, morals were high, and life was so much better, wasn't it?
I wouldn't trade the 50's for anything either. I do remember the year the Minnesota State Fair closed down - I think it was in 1949 - because of Polio. I had it that year. Not bad, but I was one of them. I remember a popular song was "I'm a Lonely Little Petunia in an Onion Patch - Oh won't you come and play with me" and nobody could. But I still wouldn't change anything. If one little teeny thing had changed, (think about this), we'd never know our husbands/wives, our children, our friends and all of you! Edie
Old 09-10-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
When I was a child we lived in Firebaugh Ca. back then it was a small farming community and everyone knew each other. If you were a child and you were seen goofing off or doing something you shouldn't be doing your parents would know about it before you got home. My favorite memory was that every summer there was a snow cone truck that Would drive around each neighbor hood and the snow cones were only a quarter each. There was always a long line of kids waiting for their turn. For a quarter you would get a great big snow cone and it tasted good not like the flavored ice in a cup you have to take out a loan to get these days.
It was the same way here. Got a lecture from the person who saw and then was told "I am gonna tell your momma". So then you caught hell from your mom too. I do this to this day to the neighborhood children. lol It still takes a village to raise a child. Still have the ice cream truck driving through the neighborhood, saw them Tuesday!!!!
Did anyone have a "fog truck" for the mosiqtoes (sp)? We used to run after the truck. God knows what we were "sniffing" then (this was over 40 years ago). Swimming in the ditch when we had a really big rain, as they were really deep on the sides of the road. :mrgreen: :shock: :roll: :?: :-(
Old 09-10-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Growing up in a small town ---

* It was BIG news when our garbage man married one of the

So many memories....
So what was the BIG news about the garbage man marrying one of the........or do I know :lol: