I remember when....

Old 09-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Those were the days.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
It needs to be said - in this day,. we have all seen the awful life that the average person endures, I wouldn't trade the 50's and 60's with anyone. It is quite sad that our grandchildren could not experience the innocent times that we had lived back when ---- remember when everyone was quaranteened from polio? We all managed, didn't we? The family unit was BIG, morals were high, and life was so much better, wasn't it?
Yes
Old 09-10-2010, 05:40 PM

I remember spending my summers at my grandparents apartment house in brooklyn . they owened all of it. The pushcart men would show up and fresh fruit was sweet. I must have been only 7 or 8 and would take the two buses to get there. It was safe going by myself then,and I had a brown sack with some cloths and I spent all summer there. My great aunts taught me to sew and gram was good at everything. That was in the late 40s and early 50s. Travel in new york was very differant than now. Kids could travel alone and it was safe.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:23 PM

Does anyone remember Hallo shampoo in the ribbed glass bottle?It smelled so good and made your hair shine.Or playing hop scotch on the road because there were only one or two cars going by all day and they would'nt try to run you down like they do today!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:16 PM

"Halo everybody, Halo~ Halo is the shampoo that glorifies your hair, so Halo everybody Halo.............remember the jingle??

Originally Posted by lorraine43
Does anyone remember Hallo shampoo in the ribbed glass bottle?It smelled so good and made your hair shine.Or playing hop scotch on the road because there were only one or two cars going by all day and they would'nt try to run you down like they do today!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
Originally Posted by cjomomma
When I was a child we lived in Firebaugh Ca. back then it was a small farming community and everyone knew each other. If you were a child and you were seen goofing off or doing something you shouldn't be doing your parents would know about it before you got home. My favorite memory was that every summer there was a snow cone truck that Would drive around each neighbor hood and the snow cones were only a quarter each. There was always a long line of kids waiting for their turn. For a quarter you would get a great big snow cone and it tasted good not like the flavored ice in a cup you have to take out a loan to get these days.
It was the same way here. Got a lecture from the person who saw and then was told "I am gonna tell your momma". So then you caught hell from your mom too. I do this to this day to the neighborhood children. lol It still takes a village to raise a child. Still have the ice cream truck driving through the neighborhood, saw them Tuesday!!!!
Did anyone have a "fog truck" for the mosiqtoes (sp)? We used to run after the truck. God knows what we were "sniffing" then (this was over 40 years ago). Swimming in the ditch when we had a really big rain, as they were really deep on the sides of the road. :mrgreen: :shock: :roll: :?: :-(
I so forgot about swimming in the ditches. We would also go craw dadding and frogging in the ditches. We would disappear for hours and our parents didn't have to worry about us. My Mom always said that when I got hungry I would come home.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:24 PM

I remember felling so grown up, the first time i bought my own candy bar, with money I earned. I still remember the taste of that 'big hunk". They never tasted so good again. I was 8.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Growing up in a small town ---

* It was BIG news when our garbage man married one of the

So many memories....
So what was the BIG news about the garbage man marrying one of the........or do I know :lol:
It's just that he had been single for sooooo long. He was in his 40's or even maybe early 50's? She was 27. Back then and for us it was news. We never thought he would ever get married because he was always working, didn't know he had time to date. lol
Old 09-11-2010, 02:42 AM
Banned

Does anyone remember:

Breck shampoo and hair setting gel products? Breck came in a glass bottle with a lid that had a slot in it to make it a 'piggy' bank. I still have it! - with coins in it!

Green Stamps? Mom saving them and us putting them into the books so she could go buy things.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Does anyone remember:

Breck shampoo and hair setting gel products? Breck came in a glass bottle with a lid that had a slot in it to make it a 'piggy' bank. I still have it! - with coins in it!

Green Stamps? Mom saving them and us putting them into the books so she could go buy things.
M&H stamps at the filling station (remember filling stations?) and you could get dishes and glasses? Remember towels and washrags inside of laundry detergent? Remember putting peroxide on your hair to lighten it? Remember "Brush-a, Brush-a, Brush-a, with the new Ipana, "Cream of Wheat is so good to eat and we have it every day", "L-A-V-A, L-A-V-A" (It was a hand soap for really dirty hands and it had pumice in it to take the grime off), Ivory Soap - "99 and 100 percent pure"! Remember mixing Johnson's Baby Oil and Iodine together to make your skin look tanner? Remember putting bandaids around your boyfriend's ring when you went steady? Remember "Rock Around the Clock", "Unchained Melody", "Purple People Eaters" (Minnesota Vikings), "The Stroll", I could go on! "Blue Suede Shoes", "White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation".

Some more? White Bucks, Argyle Knee Highs, Penny Loafers, Bernard Altman Cashmere Sweaters, Sweater sets (a short sleeved pull-over sweater and a cardigan in the same color), mint green sweater and a navy blue skirt,Poodle on a felt skirt, crinolines (who wore the most) ammo boxes (leather - from WWII purchased at a local army surplus store) to use as purses and they were too small, the high school homecoming parade and your parents letting you use the big family car and you decorated it all up and drove around showing it off and then loaded your friends in the car and was in the parade; drive ins, drive in movies, necking. Oh, I could go on forever. But I can't. I am 72 years old (in one week and one day) and I have to get back to my quilting. Reminiscing is so neat! Keeps one young, eh? Edie