I remember when....

Old 09-11-2010, 04:08 AM

Edie, You and I have a lot of the same memories. Earth Angel was 'our song". Was there when Rhythm and Blues became Rock and Roll. Used to listen to Moon Dog, aka Alan Freed, on the radio for our favorite songs. Glad that I can remember more of the good times than the bad ones (like air raids because we thought the atom bomb might be dropped on NYC and other big cities). May in Jersey
Old 09-11-2010, 05:26 AM

When I started to work in 57, I used to go to the Horn and Harded automat for lucch. I ccould put a few nickels in a slot and out would come a sandwich ,only for four or five nickels. That was cheap for the time,Manhattan was a lot pricey and I just had a half hour for lunch. The automat and Chock ful of nuts coffee made my work day.
Times were simple and we didnt have things we have now ,but I wouldnt change a thing. Except IM older now .
Old 09-11-2010, 05:51 AM

Capizzios
Old 09-11-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Capizzios
I forgot about Capezio's. How about Packard-Rellin's - a shoe store in Milwaukee. Anybody who was anybody either had Capezio's or Packard-Rellin's, except me, of course, I was from St. Paul and we always got Red Goose Shoes - having to measure our feet from the foot xray machine. Edie
Old 09-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Oh I remember the service stations! My dad worked at a service station and when I was 9 he got his own. I grew up in a Texaco service station. Gas was 35.9 and by 72 it was 45.9. Self service hadn't been thought of. They started out with full service. You checked the oil and the battery every time. you wiped the windows and gave green stamps. There was only one kind of gas. NO ethanol yet. Then came full service or mini service. You pumped gas but no washing windows or checking the oil etc. Self service had not been started yet when my dad closed his gas station in 1974. Gas was 59.9 for full service or 54.9 for mini service. I learned to check oil at the age of 9 and worked at the gas station cleaning and running errands from the time I was about 10. I started pumping gas at the age of 12. The Texaco Star still brings chills to my soul as my dad has been gone for 20 yrs this Dec and it always brings back so many memories! The smell of oil and gas brings back so many memories of the gas station.

We gave green stamps at the station and I went with Mom to the distribution center to pick them up alot of the time. When I stayed at my grandma's she had a big deep drawer she saved all her stamps for whem my cousin Jim and I to put them in books when we came. The Hyvee gave out the yellow Crown stamps and there were about 4 or 5 differant stamps you could get depending on where you shopped.

Pop was only in glass bottles. Royal Crown Cola -Double Cola(tasted like Dr. Pepper and Coke mixed) -Grape Nehi -Orange Nehi -Coke actually had a bit of cocaine in it then(that is where the name came from originally) Coke started out as a syrup for coughs and colds. My grandma used to make homemade root beer. and she made popcorn balls my favorite!

Nancy Drew books The Hardy Boys The Bobbsey Twins Rough Rider Lassie Five Little Peppers Little Women

Mickey Mouse Club Cartoons on Sat morning Capt Kangaroo
Archie Comics
Old 09-11-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by doggies mom
When I started to work in 57, I used to go to the Horn and Harded automat for lucch. I ccould put a few nickels in a slot and out would come a sandwich ,only for four or five nickels. That was cheap for the time,Manhattan was a lot pricey and I just had a half hour for lunch. The automat and Chock ful of nuts coffee made my work day.
Times were simple and we didnt have things we have now ,but I wouldnt change a thing. Except IM older now .
Loved Horn and Harded's (sp?) macaroni and cheese. Although I've tried many recipes that claimed to be the 'orginal' recipe they all fell short on taste and texture. I think H & H had a huge pot of mac and cheese in the back, slapped some into the little casserole dish, ran it under a broiler and put it in the little window. All the recipes I've tried called for the mac and cheese to be baked and that dried it out.

Chock Ful of Nuts is that Heavenly Coffee, or so their theme song said. Back in those days department stores were only open late on Thursday nights. That was the night I would stop on my way home from work in Mahattan to shop the department stores in downtown Brooklyn. I often stopped at Chock Ful of Nuts near the train station for coffee and a donut or at Nedick's for a hot dog and an orange drink. Remember the tall thin glasses they had for their orange drink? My Goodness each new post brings back another memory, May in Jersey
Old 09-11-2010, 12:59 PM

When my husband and I were getting married ,my sister in law gave me 30 books of S and H green stamps for our wedding ,it got a lot of things we needed. I still have the ironing board by proctor that I got for a book of them. They just dont make boards like that any more. I just never thought to get any new one. This one will still last for another lifetime or two.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:05 PM

I still get back every few years and then get to go to Nathans.Nothing can beat those hot dogs. They have them here but I dont think they taste the same. I miss some things about N>Y> but I dont miss those awful winters.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by doggies mom
I still get back every few years and then get to go to Nathans.Nothing can beat those hot dogs. They have them here but I dont think they taste the same. I miss some things about N>Y> but I dont miss those awful winters.
You have to go to the orginal Nathan's in Coney Island for the best tasting ones, must be something about the salt air there that makes them taste so good. May in Jersey
Old 09-12-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Growing up in a small town ---

* It was BIG news when our garbage man married one of the

So many memories....
So what was the BIG news about the garbage man marrying one of the........or do I know :lol:
I was wondering the same thing?