I remember when....

Old 09-12-2010, 08:31 AM

It's good to look back and recall all those happy moments. We were dirt poor, but as my brother said "Everyone was poor then - we were all just too happy to notice it." I remember the canning we did; the gardens we planted; and most of all - I recall Mother and Daddy fixing a big box of food for a neighbor family, when we could just about afford our own food, but most of it was raised on the farm.
Everyone worked and helped one another. We did a lot of walking and all the neighborhood kids would get together for a game of "kick the can", hide and seek, or some other made up game.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:08 PM

I remember going to the movies with my sister when we were little (early to mid 60s). for 50 cents you could get in, and have popcorn, candy and a pop. We were kind of poor ,so we only got 35 cents so we could get pop and OR popcorn or candy. This would be the Saturay kiddie show. It was usually a double feature and a couple of cartoons.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:00 PM

I was recalling a lot of things when I was a child - it would take a book to write all of them. I was born in 1932, so there would be many, many years of reminiscing. Can you all see the differences between "yesterday" and today?
Dodee
Old 09-12-2010, 04:54 PM

I also grew up in Detroit - Moved away when I was 22. I remember Stopel Park - probably 4-5 blocks away. On Saturday nights in the summer they had an old time band concert in a little bandstand - if the wind were just right I could hear them while sitting outside on the back porch. And block parties where they'd use those sawhorses and close off the street. It was the only time I was ever allowed to ride my bike in the street! Magical memories.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Does anyone remember:

Breck shampoo and hair setting gel products? Breck came in a glass bottle with a lid that had a slot in it to make it a 'piggy' bank. I still have it! - with coins in it!

Green Stamps? Mom saving them and us putting them into the books so she could go buy things.
Remember all of them.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:22 PM

Remember Slim Jim pants with the zippers on the bottom sides...buttoning up our sweaters backwards, the little snowball collars you could tie on....rabbit fur muffs....Pat Boone Shoes (white bucks)...Fabian...laffy taffy....aqua net....setting your hair with flat beer...couldn't we go on and on and on.....
Old 09-12-2010, 06:31 PM

Oh, this thread is making me cry....I can relate to almost every response. Another memory....My Dad passed away from cancer when I was 4 and my sister2 and a half. Shortly after my maternal Grandma came to live with us. Our house was not big and my and my sister's bedroom was a small room off the kitchen. I remember falling asleep to the murmur of my Mom and Grandma's voices from the kitchen where they sat playing cards or just chatting. I always felt so safe. To this day I can't fall asleep unless I have the TV or talk radio on...turned low so it is just a background murmer.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:51 PM

I remember that whenever my grandmother came to visit my dad would lay in a supply of Strawberry Nehi.
Does anyone ever remember a soda called Little Tom. It was these 8 oz bottles of soda, all different flavors. My dad would buy cases of it during the summer months cause we kids would be drinking pop more at that time. We loved it, but not sure if it was because of the flavor or the kid sized bottles.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
It needs to be said - in this day,. we have all seen the awful life that the average person endures, I wouldn't trade the 50's and 60's with anyone. It is quite sad that our grandchildren could not experience the innocent times that we had lived back when ---- remember when everyone was quaranteened from polio? We all managed, didn't we? The family unit was BIG, morals were high, and life was so much better, wasn't it?
Amen!!!! My grandkids love to hear stories about the days we grew up in. My oldest (14 Yrs) said he would have loved to lived back in the 50's when life was simple and carefree. He is my computer geek and while he is on the computer he listens to music from the 40's and 50's. It amazes me!!!!!! Knows all the words to the songs----better than I do!
:-) :-) :lol: :D :lol: :lol:
Old 09-12-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Edie
I remember when I went to a party with my father and came home with my mother!

Tah Dum!

Edie
Huh?