Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I wasn't sure what to answer >
  • I wasn't sure what to answer

• I wasn't sure what to answer

Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 PM

LOL, Pamela J.! You're a dangerous lady!
    Old 08-11-2010, 01:22 PM

She reminds me of some other in-laws I won't name. I suspect she likes the whole cloth muslin type quilt. I've met many women who really prefer those toned down style quilts and find the beauty in the quilted pattern (I know some who think if it isn't hand quilted it isn't a real quilt either). I have to admit I'm just now learning to like piecing. I still lean toward whole cloth handquilted quilts. It may be because I'm "color" challenged (I had to ask what jewel toned meant at the fabric store. It provided them with a good laugh).
    Old 08-11-2010, 01:34 PM

I'm so sorry you re having MIL troubles. I try to be as supportive as I can with my DILs (I have 3). One is so comfortable with me that when she & my son argue she will say "I if you don't behave I'm going to call your mom!" And sometimes she does! LOL
    Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 PM

She is jealous of your talent!
    Old 08-11-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by hikingquilter
    I'm so sorry you re having MIL troubles. I try to be as supportive as I can with my DILs (I have 3). One is so comfortable with me that when she & my son argue she will say "I if you don't behave I'm going to call your mom!" And sometimes she does! LOL
    You sound like me. My DIL called me one day and asked, "If your son and I divorce will you still be my MIL?" She and I are best friends. If only my other DIL was the same way. And my SIL and I have a good relationship, although at times he can be a pain. His mother and I are best buddies, do nearly everything together. None of them understand my sewing "thing" too much but are very tolerant.
    Old 08-11-2010, 03:33 PM

You came to the right place to vent! I'm sorry you have to live with that!
    Old 08-11-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
    Originally Posted by Mamagus
    Believe me I know how you feel.
    We had "Christmas in August" at our house this weekend and my daughter's bf wanted to see some of my quilts, so I hauled out some tops and some quilts to show him. My S-I-L whose only hobby is chain-smoking watched for awhile and announce quite pompously, "Well isn't that just a waste of time and money!"
    DH bless him, said quite sweetly, "Dear, why don't you and your attitude take your cigarettes outside for a puff." GAWD I love that man!
    boy is he a quick thinker....love it
    He's a keeper!!
    Old 08-11-2010, 04:04 PM
    Power Poster

Alot of mean, nasty, catty things are said because of jealousy. I would try to say nothing and will probably make her say something even more nasty. Is her Son there to hear her comments? She may watch her poisonous mouth if he were.
    She sounds pretty miserable to me. Sorry you have to put up with her.
    Old 08-11-2010, 04:11 PM

I know this sounds absolutely horrible, but I am so glad that I do not have MIL issues. My husband's mother was a handful and was mean to everyone except her precious son. Unfortunately, she passed away before my husband and I met and I never had a chance to meet her. My mother passed last year not too long after my husband and I married, and lucky for him he did not have to deal with her crankiness either. I loved her but she was definitely cranky.
    Tracy
    Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 PM

You sound like me. My DIL called me one day and asked, "If your son and I divorce will you still be my MIL?" She and I are best friends. If only my other DIL was the same way. And my SIL and I have a good relationship, although at times he can be a pain. His mother and I are best buddies, do nearly everything together. None of them understand my sewing "thing" too much but are very tolerant.[/quote]

After our divorce I was always welcome at FIL and MIL's, my ex - their son - was NOT. In fact he was cut out of their wills, and his share went to our 2 sons. I still feel sorry for him.