Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Ideas about giving grandkids money >
  • Ideas about giving grandkids money

• Ideas about giving grandkids money

Old 04-03-2011, 10:06 AM

I no longer buy my DGC toys. Total waste of money. I started buying them savings bonds, for their future. My daughter thought this was a wonderful idea.
    Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    I no longer buy my DGC toys. Total waste of money. I started buying them savings bonds, for their future. My daughter thought this was a wonderful idea.
    I like the idea of savings bonds too. When my youngest son was born (he turned 27 yesterday!), I took any new baby gift money that he received and purchased savings bonds with it for his future. They matured several times over and it turned into quite a lot of money given the original investment.
    Old 04-03-2011, 10:18 AM
    Power Poster

For those that "save" gifted money to their children ... suggestion ... keep a journal for them of who gave what, when and why. It could be an interesting story of their life!
    Old 04-03-2011, 10:54 AM

Suzy Ormond (TV) has some great ideas about children and money....I can now see where I made mistakes (but not too bad) and hope to change in the future. Check her out...she is really good.
    Old 04-03-2011, 12:28 PM

What about wrapping their dollars in a story. Write them a story about when you were their age. A memory of your birthday or something else. Or write them a poem about them or something you remember. By the way I may use the money tied to the umbrella....I like that.
    Old 04-03-2011, 02:14 PM

You are too cute! I have taped singles together and put them into small kleenex boxes and wrapped them round and around toilet paper rolls. Once put a 20 in a tiny box then again in a bigger box and so on. Love your umbrella idea......I'll use that one :-D I remember tearing a 50 in half one year and taping each half in a bible. I attached a note to each....."See your sister for the other half" They were not speaking to each other that year....worked like a charm :-D
    Old 04-03-2011, 02:17 PM

My grandkids get money, but boy am I boring--it just goes into an envelope with their Christmas card. Maybe I'll have to get more creative after reading all these ideas.
    Old 04-03-2011, 02:31 PM

I have given a simple card, inside are instructions to figure out where the first amount is hidden in the house. There is then another clue as to where the next amount is, and so forth. Since we are unable to have all the grands home at one time it works for us. A lot of times the kids have to use the dictionary or computer to figure out some of the words in the notes. Such as la baignoire, for the restroom. It is fun for us to hide the money and think up the clues and it is good for the grands too, and they might even learn something.
    Old 04-03-2011, 02:35 PM

My BIL gave my sone money for graduation. He is a carpenter so he used 2 pieces of 2 X 4 cut the same length. He put the money in the middle and used long screws to screw them together and wrote Congratulations Josh! on the outside. Josh had fun taking it apart.
    Old 04-03-2011, 02:52 PM

One thing I have done and actually did it for my son when he was in basic training. For easter I blew out eggs, Washed and dried them well. Then made the opening a little bigger and put money or notes in side. The note said. Good for one batch of home made cookies. Send request to: and put my name and address. I sealed the ends and then painted them pretty. I used acarlic paint and it sort of hide where I had patched the ends. I sent them with a batch of cookies. I attached a note to the eggs that said enjoy them for Easter but before you throw away be sure to break open. They cracked them right away because my son knew I was up to something!! LOL