Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • If I could do it over again I'd---- >
  • If I could do it over again I'd----

• If I could do it over again I'd----

Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM

I thought about this one long and hard. I agree that the things we did in the past are why we are what we are today. However, I think I would much rather take back the day my children were killed and have kept them safe at my side. I know "it must have been their time" and all that, but the way my daughter went shouldn't have happened! Oh shoot, sorry. But thats what I would have changed!
    Old 05-17-2010, 03:49 PM
    Power Poster

I would start believing in myself a lot sooner than I did.
    Old 05-17-2010, 09:22 PM
    Power Poster

I have only one really huge regret. I wish I didn't take up smoking. Every other bad decision I ever made doesn't come close to this one.
    Old 05-17-2010, 09:44 PM

Gosh, an interesting subject. Well, I would not have worked so darn hard. I'm a chemical engineer by profession and I always worked in a male dominated field. Very difficult at times. I worked ALL the time and saved every penny. Never took a vacation. But stress took it's toll on my health.
    I have a good life, but if I had to do it over again...hmmmmmm...I'd at least take time for me. Not work 80-100 hour weeks. Now, I can sit back and do the things I always used to enjoy...knitting, quilting, cooking, reading (obviously, I don't work anymore!).
    Old 05-18-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by EllaBud
    Gosh, an interesting subject. Well, I would not have worked so darn hard. I'm a chemical engineer by profession and I always worked in a male dominated field. Very difficult at times. I worked ALL the time and saved every penny. Never took a vacation. But stress took it's toll on my health.
    I have a good life, but if I had to do it over again...hmmmmmm...I'd at least take time for me. Not work 80-100 hour weeks. Now, I can sit back and do the things I always used to enjoy...knitting, quilting, cooking, reading (obviously, I don't work anymore!).
    Thanks, you give me hope that all my hard work in the male-dominated engineering field will pay off and I will be able to retire some day! :D The way the market was going, I was beginning to thing that day would never come.

On another thought... does anyone else see a trend here about common backgrounds among us? A lot of achievers, whether it be in their career or, the harder, raising children. This commonality must be why 99% of the quilters I've met are such nice people and I can relate to almost immediately!
    Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 AM

I think I would do a real do-over and be born to a different mother. That's the only way I could change most of the abusive things that happened in my life. Her bad decisions affected my life and changed the path of my life forever.
    Old 05-18-2010, 10:39 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I have only one really huge regret. I wish I didn't take up smoking. Every other bad decision I ever made doesn't come close to this one.
    I quit cold turkey in '85 from a pack and a half per day habit. Not nagging - just saying: Just because you started doesn't mean you can't stop.
    Old 05-18-2010, 05:03 PM

I would have saved more and bought fewer new cars. I would have changed alot of things that happened in my first marriage, many mistakes were on my side I realized as I grew older. There are several points in my life that I should have stopped and thought about my actions and their affect on others. I burned several bridges that I shouldnt have.

Now having said those things, I have done many nice things and I have had a good life.
    Old 05-19-2010, 09:38 AM

I would have finished college, made wiser choices with money, stood up for myself more and been a better mother. I wasn't a bad mom, just wish I could have done some things better for them. Wish I had been smarter with my money and started saving for house and retirement. Oh well I can't complain about my life now, my sons love me and make sure I'm okay, moved me into a nice house and I have a good job with health benefits, now saving for retirement in a few years, I hope.
    Old 05-19-2010, 09:40 AM
    Banned

I would have listened to my best friend who told me not to marry the former hubby. I would have gone back to school sooner. Things happen for a reason, and I am sad that I did not meet my beloved sooner than 6 years ago.