Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years.... >
  • If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years....

• If you have shopped at Michael's in the last 2 years....

Old 05-27-2011, 02:45 PM
    Power Poster

My account had suspicious activity and my bank immediately cancelled the card. I had to go to the bank to find out what happened when my card was declined at a restaurant.

It took them 10 days to cancel my card, they said that my new card should have arrived before the old one was cancelled. It didn't come in the mail until later that afternoon :lol:

I too wish that they would have sent me an email right away so that I would have known. It was quite embarrassing to have my card declined, thankfully it was a restaurant I frequent often and they trusted me to come back and pay :D:D:D
    Old 05-27-2011, 02:58 PM

Back in March I had taken my daughter to girlscout day camp, headed home stopped at the local grocery store to get something for dinner came home. cooked dinner was sitting there eating (within two hours of the last time I used the card) and had a phone call it was VISA fraud protection calling to check on some charges. Well low and behold there was 300 dollars worth of charges that had been charged to my account only 45 minutes prior to them calling me. They canceled my card right then and there, I had to wait till monday to call the bank they said it would take up to 24 hours for the money to be back in my account. it was back in there within minutes. but I still had to take cash with me on my road trip to KY.

I found out the other day that a police officer from the local department was hit. The only thing they can think of is info was gotten with all this Michael's deal. He didn't know his account was whiped out until he went to pay for lunch at the local grocery store which sells hot food in their deli!
    Old 05-27-2011, 03:11 PM

I hadn't heard about this before. Thank you for posting!
    Old 05-27-2011, 03:43 PM

About 6 years ago we had a very sick cat and I was going to the vet once or twice a week for meds. One day the card wouldn't go through. They cancelled it without letting me know because of unusual activity at the vet. At least I had money on me.
    Old 05-27-2011, 04:02 PM

My card was cancelled too! About three weeks ago I changed my pin number when the problems with Michael's was on TV. Now the other day the bank called me and told me to expect a new card in the mail-but they didn't say when. Changing the pin number was not enough. I am so used to the debit card I hardly use checks anymore. So today I had to use a paper check for groceries, and was treated like a crook! And I'm almost out of checks and had to order new ones. Things used to be so simple!
    Old 05-27-2011, 04:04 PM

From the news reports, it looks like the compromise was in the Chicago area; pin pad tampering, limiting the exposure to Michael's customers in that area. On May 5th.

Sometimes there is a gap between the compromise and the attempted fraudulent activity, when the bad guys are generating new cards, distributing them, etc.
    Old 05-27-2011, 04:16 PM

websites say 20 states were involved including NC which is where I would have used mine. It doesn't state which stores though.
    Old 05-27-2011, 07:32 PM

I've heard from others to always use your check card as credit, never put in your pin. They say crooks can sit in a store parking lot with a laptop and hack the pin pads inside the stores, getting all your info and pin. Has anyone else heard of this happening? I've always used my DC as credit since then.
    Old 05-27-2011, 08:56 PM

Here is a link for the 20 states:

http://consumerist.com/2011/05/micha...20-states.html
    Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 PM

I know its a huge pain to have your D/C go down. I will try to give some info.
    *Reordering a card takes 10-14 days, they have to be ordered, information uploaded, account(s) tied to, imprinted, and and mailed. The inprinting with your name maybe done by a 3rd party so they're "ordered".
    *Changing the pin does not change the card tied to an account only your access.
    *I've seen transactions from a compromised cards # show up 2+ years later with transactions from Bangkok in the thousands. It took minutes and the electronic fraud system stopped it, but there was a lot of damage done in a short time.
    *It is not wise to use it online in my opinion, if you give someone that info you authorize them to do what ever they want to your checking/savings account. They can deny your dispute saying you authorized them and theres laws that protect them.
    *You can have more than one D/card tied to an account. If you carry more than one you won't be caught without.
    *Most banks have some sort of limit to help the fraud/loss if a card is hit.
    *You can have a debit card and an ATM card tied to the same account. That way if your debit card goes down you can still go to an ATM and get some cash.
    *I myself do not travel without ATM, debit card,and CC on me. Always have back up so you don't get stuck.
    *There are so many things that can happen, lines go down, fraud, weather, machines won't read, plain old where your trying to shop don't support your d/c, hackers, theft from transaction processer companys. The list don't end.
    * I know theres no reason for poor customer service, your bank might be spending tons of man-hours researching, disputing transactions, reordering compromised cards and setting up pins. Non of these crappy things are a push one button fix. Theres constant changing, not only the ways these jerks commit the fraud but the constant changing of rules and laws and how this stuff is handled.
    *Update your address and phone # so if there is questions about something hitting your d/c they can get a hold of you.
    *Balance your account, check your statements, you only have 60 days to dispute a charge.

*Ok I've blathered on long enough.
    Have a great night!