If you won the lottery

Old 04-23-2011, 09:33 AM

Start with charity of which there are a couple, give some to my church help all my children whatever there need is, set up a trust for the grandkids and last but not least, MOVE, into a newer house. THe Lord always provides what I need the lottery could provide what I want. LOL
Old 04-23-2011, 09:41 AM

Probably die with the shock and not be able to enjoy it. Never mind the kids would soon get to enjoy it.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:20 AM

You asked about the very first thing we'd buy, so the very first thing I'd buy might be a plane ticket home. It's not that I can't afford the plane ticket now, it's that I'm working across the country from where I live, and since there is no direct flight between the two places, it takes all day to get from one to the other. So although I could fly home every weekend, I can really only manage it every few months. But if I won the lottery (assuming it's enough money to make me independently wealthy after taxes), I'd give notice and head home. Oh, and that plane ticket would be first class, and I might even buy the seat next to it so I don't have to share at all.

Other first purchases (after the plane ticket):
-- custom-made shoes, so they fit properly and are stylish(things which seem to be mutually exclusive in wide-width shoes)
-- a month at a weight-loss spa, after I've had some time at home
-- a house, land, orchard... eventually multiple properties in different areas of the country
-- top-of-the-line sewing machine and lessons
-- pay off all bills, of course
-- start some businesses that would serve unmet needs, serve under-served markets, employ Americans at good wages, and sell goods/services for affordable prices and not at the most the market will bear.
-- travel outside the US
-- go to grad school (you're never too old)
Old 04-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Pay off all the bills. Find another home with some property and room to breathe. Buy a longarm to put in it. Let DH invest the rest! :-)
Of course I would have to buy a ticket for that to happen..... :-)
Old 04-23-2011, 01:19 PM

First I would buy my kids a house each.Then buy them decent cars each.Set up a trust fund for our Dgs.Then I would build my parents an energy efficent home.Then I would build the quilt studio of my dreams .Guess it doesnt hurt to dream.Cause I dont even play the lottery.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:21 PM

I have been planning on this for years.
First I wouldn't tell anyone that I won. I would have greedy relatives coming out of the woodwork.
Second find a lawyer and set up trust funds for my grandchildren.
Then
Pay off my DD's house and give her enough to find another one nearer work.
Then move into that house and renovate it. I like the area its in. Then I would buy the lots on either side of me and tear down the duplexes on the one side and use the house on the other side for dogs that needed a place to stay. Pay someone to stay there with them.
Then I would look into buying land and building a shelter for the humane society I use to volunteer for in GA. Set up a trust for spaying/neutering animals.
Keep the rest and live off of it.
And a new car. Never had one of those and I want an electric one.
Fun to dream isn't it. And I do buy lottery tickets.I figure if I don't win someone has to and maybe I am helping them realize their dreams.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
After picking yourself up off the floor of course LOL, what would be the very first thing you would purchase?
A plane ticket to visit all the lovely friends I have made on this board.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:25 PM

I would pay off my house, move my parents into it and find me a house or cabin by a lake with a few acres and enjoy the rest of my life stress free!
My parents live in a small town and there utilties are so high and it only a mobile home, they could afford the utilties here and I think be more comphy since my home is so much closer to stores and ect.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Banned

a small barn conversion up the road and have it altered to my design.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:34 PM

Ramona,, I love this idea.. set up a free animal sterilization group for the entire county. I would go in on it with you! I would also like a big sewing room.. an addition would be necessary. I would like to give to those that need help.. anonymously.. pay for all us quilters to get together. Then have a big quilting cookout party!