I'm a Grandma!!!!

Old 01-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Still waiting for the pic of you with the babies Terri...you must have that before you leave! And lots of them tooo!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:08 PM

Oh yeah--motion. When things got bad here--young kids wouldn't sleep and I needed a break, I'd strap them in their car seats and we'd tour the country side. I'd not turn around until they were asleep. :wink:
Old 01-03-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
Did you know that you can't cover babies? They could smother. We kept Olivia New Years eve and kept the heat up high (for us) I even moved her crib close to the heat vent. I still worried that she would be cold. How did my children survive, how did we survive?
Yeah...try telling that to my gd. I scolded my dd when gd was little (3mos old) about "covering her head" well I was informed that dd didn't do that gd did... I didn't believe it so dd had me watch gd when she was put down to sleep...sure enough...within 5 mins. of falling asleep, gd would grab her blanket and pull it over her head.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
Did you know that you can't cover babies? They could smother. We kept Olivia New Years eve and kept the heat up high (for us) I even moved her crib close to the heat vent. I still worried that she would be cold. How did my children survive, how did we survive?
oh, my! I would put my babies down and put a flannel blanket over them like a tent. Mother about had a heart attack! (as though I hadn't learned anything from the first baby I had! HAH!)
anyway, baby girl comes along, I am living in an interesting place, mother and grandmother come to visit.
We couldn't afford a crib, so I had rigged up an orange crate (didn't own any dresser yet, so no drawers) in the livingroom on top of the console television set because #1 son kept throwing his shoes in on top of baby (sharing) ... so, the console is sitting on top of the television set, just inside the front door ... close to heater ...
Grands come in, I am in kitchen making coffee
"Where is the new baby?"
In that box ...
(Mother is grappling with simplicity <g> and looks into the box ... NO! She is NOT in the box!
HEART ATTACK! Someone has stolen my baby! I KNOW they have as I run from (okay, the stitches didn't let me run <g>) the back of the house to the front of the house.
before calling the police, I look inside the box to see if baby is still there, lift up the flannel blanket, and of course! There she is, all warm and cozy, snuggled down in her little cocoon.
HOW COULD YOU COVER HER LIKE THAT????
oh, mother, for crying outloud! That baby isn't going to smother under a flannel blanket.
YES! She will!
NO! She won't ... (at this point in time, I know nothing about fabric <g>) the blanket is made out of woven threads ... woven = air pockets = air flow ergo ... no danger!
and, FURTHERMORE! The blanket isn't over her face, it is draped over her head, and in case you haven't noticed, the nose on her face is square in the middle ... lying on her side with her shoulders and face protecting her, the chances are NIL ...
I should have been a lawyer! LOL
Old 01-03-2010, 06:47 PM

I have more baby stories, first hand experience! LOL
Old 01-03-2010, 08:23 PM

These babies are covered with blankets,,,receiving blankets tightly around them. I do put a cover over top of the portacrib because of the light. They only have a light in the ceiling fan and no lamps in the livingroom, so a blanket over the top shades their little eyes.
Even in the nursery the nurses had a little afghan over Olivia in her bassinet. Olivia was swaddled in 2 blankets with the afghan over her. So, if they are doing it in the hospital, then why not at home?
I still say that all these so called experts have no clue. We are all still alive. A friend of mine just celebrated his grandfather's 105th birthday and I'm sure that man was layed on his belly, side, covered with a blanket, put in a crate to sleep, etc. He's seemed to have survived.
Heck, for the first 2 months of Laurens life, she slept in a dresser drawer because I couldn't afford a crib and I was waiting on one of my moms friends to give me the crib she had. Lauren is still alive......
Old 01-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Banned

Terri, it sounds as if you are doing just fine. As a neonatal and pedi ICU nurse, I can tell you that both back AND side are just fine. And many babies will do ok on their stomachs too, but studies have shown without a doubt that the incidence of Sudden Infant Deaths doubles when babies sleep on their tummies. Actually, what the largest studies showed, is that when there was a big area-wide education for "Back to sleep", that area reduced their incidence of crib deaths by half. As far as covers go, of course it's ok to cover babies! All nurserys do! What the don't want parents to use are heavy, or "puffy" covers like comforters or things with sufficient loft that a baby couldn't keep it's nose clear. Babies are obligate nose breathers. They absolutely can't breathe through their mouths if their noses are obstructed, whether it is from material or from congestion. So, keep on doing exactly what you are doing!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 PM

I just had to check in to see how the babies are doing. Glad to hear all is going well.
I think I laid all my babies on their tummies but I did turn them often. I didn't want the back of their heads to be flat.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 PM

Ok, here's a pic of me and Olivia.
Didn't realize the little cutie fell asleep. lmao
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62874.jpe  
Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 PM

ahhh, so cute!