I'm showing my age

Old 06-01-2011, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by JulieTN
Loraine - I am an ex-hair stylist. I was taught Finger Waves in trade school.

Our instruction told us any GOOD hairdresser only needs a pair of scissors, comb and hand to create a nice look! She was right. And putting a good 'gel' - old fashioned or new - helps hold the Finger Waves in place. YUP Roaring Twnties!

Julie
My mother used to have these stainless steel grip things, and she fingerwaved wet hair, then put the grip in. Never could understand how she didn't pinch her fingers. My sister had very fine straight hair, and mum used to "ringlet" it with strips of cloth. I thought I was the only one who remembered things like this!!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Marion T
Originally Posted by JulieTN
Loraine - I am an ex-hair stylist. I was taught Finger Waves in trade school.

Our instruction told us any GOOD hairdresser only needs a pair of scissors, comb and hand to create a nice look! She was right. And putting a good 'gel' - old fashioned or new - helps hold the Finger Waves in place. YUP Roaring Twnties!

Julie
My mother used to have these stainless steel grip things, and she fingerwaved wet hair, then put the grip in. Never could understand how she didn't pinch her fingers. My sister had very fine straight hair, and mum used to "ringlet" it with strips of cloth. I thought I was the only one who remembered things like this!!
I remember the strips of cloth, my Mother sometimes set my hair in "rags". Another "hair" thing my Mother told me about was in her younger days girls wore "spitcurls". She used soap to hold them in place. Again it sounds like the roaring twenties.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:14 PM

My mom would curl my hair around rags overnight. They weren't so soft to sleep on as the name suggests! As an adult, I had my hair knotted (fancy style for a party). The stylist tied knots in small clumps of hair all over my head, then pinned them down with bobby pins. When my hair was dry, it was amazing how the knots slipped out and left me with wildly curly hair.
Too many frizzy perms in my history!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by b.zang
My mom would curl my hair around rags overnight. They weren't so soft to sleep on as the name suggests! As an adult, I had my hair knotted (fancy style for a party). The stylist tied knots in small clumps of hair all over my head, then pinned them down with bobby pins. When my hair was dry, it was amazing how the knots slipped out and left me with wildly curly hair.
Too many frizzy perms in my history!
The rags are much better than filling your hair up with perm chemicals, even if a little uncomfortable!! Nice affect too, pity nobody does this anymore.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:00 AM

UMMMM... anyone remembering those long spongy like twisting tubes that were all over tv ads about 10-15 yrs. back to make spiral curls. Be softer, easier to sleep in I should think.

The old time aluminum metal teethy clips for waves and finger waves looked like a narrower version of the large plastic clips that are used to clip up your hair off your neck etc. Same idea in design.

I am not a chemical nut myself. With a really good hair cut, ANY hair can look better - no matter how fine, thick etc. Your hairdresser should take the time to TEACH (not just show you) you how to blow hair your hair, style it -- whatever you think you personally can be comfortable doing between salon trips. But, the issue is money! Hairdressers are not the best paid folks in the world :roll: But I willnot go into that one.

Remember, just like long arm quilters are not all talented as one another, neither are hairdressers. Find THE BEST HAIR CUTTER you can afford, and follow her/him to the endso f the earth. worth very cent. Andno t all great cutters have to cost alot. It is a talent.

JUlie
Old 06-04-2011, 10:04 AM

mom never curled my hair. i just got pony tails and pig tails. she was good at it. i was slant eyed cause she pulled them so tight. no hair came down. and most of the time she'd do the elastic bands so tight that she would have to cut them out. they wasn't going to pull out. i got enough of it when i was 8 or 9 and cut my hair. just laid the scissors next to my head and cut off under the pony tail holder. o my goodness, i'll never forget that day!! daddy was so mad. but....no more ponytails. lol
Old 06-04-2011, 12:21 PM

How about using stale beer for a setting lotion on your hair. My grandmother was sitting at the kitchen table setting her hair when the neighbor men came to get her and take her to my mothers. My father had passed away at work and they knew she would need someone with her. \We teased grandma for years after that. but the beer worked. even left your hair shiney