insomnia

Old 04-20-2011, 04:25 AM
Banned

I tend to be really tired and go to bed at 9:30pm or so and sleep so hard that I wake up at 2am and can't sleep anymore because my brain is running full blast. Worrying about all the things I need to get done. So I lay in bed until 5:30am until the alarm goes off. By then my tummy is rumbling. No fun. But one trick I have taught myself is that I repeat over and over one of the kids songs I had stuck in my head all day in my head so I can't think. I just let it flow. Even if it only to sing "spongbob squarepants" over and over and over, just those 2 words. Sounds silly and it is really annoying but it seems to help my brain from not going into thinking mode. :)
Old 04-20-2011, 04:26 AM
Banned

Oh, and wether I get 5 hours or 9 hours I always wake up sooo tired. Whats up with that???
Old 04-20-2011, 05:04 AM

This year has been one for sleepless nights. I never know weather I will be able to sleep that night or not. Some nights I feel I just fell off when I am jerked wide awake. I get up some nights others I try to fall back to sleep. Feel like I am in a strangers body all of a sudden. Trying to cope :roll:
Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 AM

I always slept like a baby until I reached 55. The last seven years have been horrible. I've followed all the "rules" --no caffeine, going to bed at the same time every night and all the rest--to no avail. The thing is I can't say I'm really worrying about anything, I'm just wide awake. I tried sleep meds but they left me with feeing drowsy far too long the next day. So I finally settled on going to bed when I was tired, and if I fell asleep fine, and if not, I get up and sew or do whatever I can without waking up DH. It's no fun that's for sure, but I have not found a solution that works for me.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 AM

I'm in the "goes to sleep but wakes up waaaaaaaaaay too early" group. If I wake up early enough I'll go back to bed after a couple of hours and get a decent nap but if I don't have time to take the nap before 10 am or so then I can't take one or it messes up that night's sleep. Mostly I'm tired all the time.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by patchitpat
Insomnia and I seem to be having a lot of it lately. Does anyone else have this problem? I go to bed when I'm tired and lay there awake and my mind wanders. Worried about my dd's upcoming wedding on the 8th, are the kids and grands okay, what to make for the rehearsal dinner and on and on it goes............. grrrrrrrrrr Guess I'll take my shower and go do my groceries............
I had this problem until I was down to about 90 minutes a night of sleep. I fell asleep driving to work one morning and my dr. decided I needed meds to sleep. I now know what a good night sleep feels like.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:46 AM

I've started taking melatonin recently. I've given to my daughter for years because she has a really hard time falling asleep. Me, I'm out when my head hits the pillow, but then I wake up at 2:00 or 3:00 and I'm awake for hours.

Taking melatonin makes me sleep a little deeper...when I wake up, it's easier to drift back to sleep and I don't tend to come awake.

A couple of doctors recommended melatonin for my daughter. You can get it just about anywhere these days. It comes usually in 3mg, and that's what I take. It's not addictive, either...
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by eashka
Before I retired I worked many years on second shift and then I worked about five years on third shift. I don't know when to go to bed and when I do I can't sleep. I live on this computer! I think my working years ruined my sleep clock.
Me and you are in the same boat :thumbdown: except that I am still working.
I have found what helps is a background noise in my bedroom. I use a small fan,which rattles and bangs :-D .Because it is a consistent noise it puts me to sleep .
there are a lot of days though when I run on 2 to 3 hours sleep :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Old 04-20-2011, 07:18 AM

I have never slept well but recently learned that the ticker tape that keeps me awake can be turned off. I now sleep with a pad and pen right by my bedside. So if I wake and am thinking or worrying about something, I write it on the pad and can then go to sleep without worryign that I won't remember when I wake up. So, I still wake up but now fall back to sleep faster. It's a start, right? and I sleep better without trying to remember eight or nine things...
Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 AM

I have bouts of insomnia...I used to sleep really well until I started taking prednisone. I was really wired on that stuff, and even though I've been off of it for a couple of years it destroyed my sleep pattern! I finally just crash from exhaustion...then the cycle starts over again!