Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • iPhones-What do you like about yours? >
  • iPhones-What do you like about yours?

• iPhones-What do you like about yours?

Old 11-28-2013, 06:22 PM

Iphones are very user friendly. Go for it.

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams
    For the first time I am considering a smartphone. It has taken me a long time to justify getting one. So I wonder what you like about yours? Of course, I thoroughly enjoy Quilting Board but am not a Facebook or Pinterest person. We don't have GPS in any of our vehicles and we love stargazing. Thanks for any input you can offer!
    Old 11-28-2013, 07:02 PM

I love my FREE BlackBerry Z10. This was my first touch screen phone. I had a BlackBerry Tour for YEARS and I must say they are made well, and yes, they are more secure. If you order a BB Z10 through VErizon on line you can get it free. But if you walk into a Verizon Store, you have to purchase. BUT, we hit two freebees through the store. The sales girl let us order them online through their floor computer, but she had to step me through. Then, for shipping, just check box for store pick up. Viola!! She had them there in the store, and got us set up.

Going from a keyboard to a touch screen takes some getting use to. I love my BB.
    Old 11-29-2013, 04:17 PM

IPHONE user.

I use mine for personal and professional purposes. I have Two email addresses, an appointment calendar with all business and personal appts, navigation, note taking, quilt shop finder, weather, Facebook, texting, Ebay, Twitter, office apps, SiriusSatellite Radio, photos, camera, surfing the net as needed, and so much more. It is synced with my two Ipads. Yep, one Ipad is personal, the other ipad is employer provided. Crazy, isn't it??

Oh, I make phone calls too! LOL!

i have carried a cell phone since 1988. Amazing how far they have advanced.

Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 11-29-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    Old 11-29-2013, 08:17 PM

Here's one problem I had with my ipod touch, and when I did searches on it, found some that had the same problem on their iphone. I set a parental control password a while back because my son was using my ipod a lot. For some reason my password quit working. In the meantime I had to change my gmail password because of a problem with a log-in. So when I tried to log into gmail on my ipod, it prompted me for the parental control code and then it said it was the wrong code. I am 100% sure it's right because it's the same code I use on the directv box. So anyway, I called apple and they said the only thing I can do is reset it to factory settings without backing it up. If I back it up, it will just back up the problem. So everything I have on my apps will be lost, because they all back up directly to email (or during an itunes backup) and I can't change the default email, which is what my apps backup to, without entering the code. My apps aren't all games and I don't care about losing my progress in games. A lot of them have data that I don't want to lose. I've spoken with more than one apple csr and they've all told me there's nothing else I can do. So for that reason I've almost quit using my ipod. Plus the issue that every browser I try with facebook freezes up so much that it's frustrating. I won't use the facebook app because it only shows me about 10% of my feed.
    Old 11-29-2013, 10:09 PM

Gale, how frustrating! Going in circles with no answers really gets to me too!!
    Old 11-29-2013, 10:12 PM

OK, I finally got on it for Black Friday and ordered a gold iPhone 5S. I can hardly wait til it comes. I am most excited about being able to load my favorite Bible translation app and use it in church. Of course, I have been taking notes on all that y'all have shared and will be doing a lot of research into your suggestions. Thank you so much for all of your input. The QB is so great this way on almost any topic. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Old 11-29-2013, 10:59 PM

Exciting! Now you'll have to find lots of useful apps. There are some quilting apps-the one I use most is the Kaufmann one. It's free. Others I use a lot (some only on my ipod) are Out of Milk for shopping lists, Kindle app for reading, and a few games. Quiz Up is fun. I also play Draw Something, Words with Friends, Hanging with Friends and Gems with Friends on it (I play Scramble with Friends on my android phone-it kept freezing up on my ipod). Songpop is fun. Koi pond is neat but not free. Candy Crush if you want to get addicted to something (I play it on my phone). Oh instagram is neat too.

Just don't set a parental control password. I'd hate for what happened to me to happen to anyone else.
    Old 11-29-2013, 11:38 PM

took me a long time to switch as well and I have the Android and love it, even tho I don't spend a lot of time on it texting, etc. When I travel it is useful as a GPS, even has ability for spoken directions. Love the camera on it and gave up my other cameras because I have this. I chose the android over the Iphone at the recommendation of the salesclerk (who could sell both) - coordinating my smartphone with the computer I used (PC not Apple) reduced the chances of glitches in synchronizing data/pictures, etc. I can enter data on my calendar on my computer and it automatically synchs to my phone so I can always check that. I can email from my phone if I'm not near a computer and finally thought about that message I was supposed to send last night (you've had those days, haven't you?). All in all, it's mainly convenience, but what a convenience! Keep coupons with me electronically, free "white pages" to look up phone numbers and addresses, etc.
    Old 11-30-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by gale
    Exciting! Now you'll have to find lots of useful apps. There are some quilting apps-the one I use most is the Kaufmann one. It's free. Others I use a lot (some only on my ipod) are Out of Milk for shopping lists, Kindle app for reading, and a few games. Quiz Up is fun. I also play Draw Something, Words with Friends, Hanging with Friends and Gems with Friends on it (I play Scramble with Friends on my android phone-it kept freezing up on my ipod). Songpop is fun. Koi pond is neat but not free. Candy Crush if you want to get addicted to something (I play it on my phone). Oh instagram is neat too.

Just don't set a parental control password. I'd hate for what happened to me to happen to anyone else.
    I will stay away from that Gale. Thanks. The 5s has finger print unlock on the home button. One less password to remember!
    Old 12-01-2013, 11:46 AM

I love my iPhone and iPad and use them both every day. I download audiobooks from the state library system free. Check with your local library about availability. Free ebooks go on the iPad. Think about getting a stylus if you get the iPhone. The touch buttons are prone to errors with fingers. I think there is free texting between iPhone users. I have an Otterbox for mine to protect it. Better deal at Walmart on those than the phone store. N