Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • It's finally going to happen!!! Hello Fl! >
  • It's finally going to happen!!! Hello Fl!

• It's finally going to happen!!! Hello Fl!

Old 04-29-2012, 01:20 PM

Good Luck! I hate moving- the thought of it makes me nauseous!
    Old 04-29-2012, 01:29 PM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

OH, I LOVE Mt. Dora!! I doubt you'll have to go far to find a shop or two. Lucky you!
    Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle
    Good for you to be moving. I would like to move to a cooler climate, I hate the heat and humidity.
    Good luck finding that. We moved here to WI from Orlando, FL & I was so excited since I, too, hate heat & humidity. Come to find out, WI gets the worst of both worlds... hot & humid in the summer (temps over 100 & high humidity are not uncommon) & long, dark, snowy, dark winters (the coldest wind chill since I moved here? -60 the first Xmas we were here). *Sigh* I wonder where the perfect temps are? Our weatherman says San Diego but my DD lives there & isn't particularly impressed.
    Old 04-30-2012, 07:09 AM

Mount Dora is a charming city and a nice area. Once you get settled and have found all the nearby quilt shops, venture a little further to the Quilt Shop of Deland. It is in the downtown shopping area and many of the merchants have reciprocal deals. But the shop itself it a beehive of activity: http://www.quiltshopofdeland.com/.
    Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Default Mt Dora

Mt. Dora is a very nice town. Lots of beautiful lakes. There is a water path to Dora lake that makes you think you are living in the past. Beautiful cypress trees growing from the water.
    Carmen
    Old 05-01-2012, 06:25 AM

Thanks so much for the good wishes and imformation! We're very excited except about the part of moving not once but twice. We plan on building in Sullivan Ranch and need to rent while it's getting done. UGH!!!! But when it's finished I will have a quilt room of my dreams so I can wait! Cross country moves are sooooo hard! I will be leaving 2 daughters & 5 grands but getting close to a son (Orlando) and hopefully future grands
    Old 05-08-2012, 04:14 PM

I live in Ocoee which is about 30 minutes from Mt. Dora. There is a quilt shop in Mt. Dora that has expanded last year. It is still somewhat smaller, but very nice. They have a nice selection of fabrics and machines. It is Sew Many Things. I don't know the address but it is not hard to find. There is another fabric place, Material Girl who used to be in Apopka and moved to Mt. Dora or Eustis. She is open by appointment only. I have not been there since she moved. She used to carry a lot of Moda and probably still does.

There is a quilt shop in Clermont that is downtown, Clermont Sewing Center. It is a nice shop but she doesn't carry a huge variety of fabric. She also sells Viking machines. There is Nancy's Quilt shop in Winter Garden that has just moved into larger quarters. She has the largest selection and she carries a lot of patterns, rulers, precut fabrics. She is right downtown on Plant St. She is just a few miles down the road (4 mi.) from me. We have had several stores close in the last year. There is a very nice Bernina Store in Oviedo. There are several more in Orlando...but this should give you a start when you get here and get ready to shop. Who knows, we might run into each other.
    Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 PM

The name of the quilt shop in Mt. Dora is SEW MINI Things. I LOVE it. Love their choices in fabrics. The guys who work/own the shop are absolutely wonderful in helping you pick out coordinating fabrics.

Nita from Ocala, but now on the road
    Old 05-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1screech
    I live in Ocoee which is about 30 minutes from Mt. Dora. There is a quilt shop in Mt. Dora that has expanded last year. It is still somewhat smaller, but very nice. They have a nice selection of fabrics and machines. It is Sew Many Things. I don't know the address but it is not hard to find. There is another fabric place, Material Girl who used to be in Apopka and moved to Mt. Dora or Eustis. She is open by appointment only. I have not been there since she moved. She used to carry a lot of Moda and probably still does.

There is a quilt shop in Clermont that is downtown, Clermont Sewing Center. It is a nice shop but she doesn't carry a huge variety of fabric. She also sells Viking machines. There is Nancy's Quilt shop in Winter Garden that has just moved into larger quarters. She has the largest selection and she carries a lot of patterns, rulers, precut fabrics. She is right downtown on Plant St. She is just a few miles down the road (4 mi.) from me. We have had several stores close in the last year. There is a very nice Bernina Store in Oviedo. There are several more in Orlando...but this should give you a start when you get here and get ready to shop. Who knows, we might run into each other.
    Thanks so much for the info!!!! Finding a Bernina dealer was on my to do list! Funny but getting both of my machines serviced was a priority even more than seeing doctors, lol. Our rental is on oviedo (while the house is being built) so I will be sure to check it out. Moving date is May 15, yikes!!!!!!