Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • It's like a Hoarders episode on your computer >
  • It's like a Hoarders episode on your computer

• It's like a Hoarders episode on your computer

Old 03-28-2011, 03:03 PM

You know, as much as there is, it looks pretty organized. Like, all the paperweights together that kindof stuff.
    Old 03-28-2011, 03:06 PM

I agree, she has issues, maybe different from her mother's, but she definitely has issues.
    Old 03-28-2011, 03:20 PM

I have personal experience with a hoarder and it is difficult for family members to deal with. And yes, it is a running commentary in the back of my mind when I start to save something....and realize where I'm going with it.

Also, the compulsive shopping for more is a major source of the problem. The 'high' we get from scoring that great bargain is addictive so it is easy to fall into 'accumulation' mode. That is something I fight every time I go to a store without a list so I try to limit that as much as possible.
    Old 03-28-2011, 03:23 PM
    Banned

O.M.G.
    Old 03-28-2011, 03:32 PM

helped a family friend clean her next door neighbors house - a hoarder - it was unreal - friend's daughter was the only one who could fit through the door into the bedroom because the door wouldn't open and once inside the only place the lady had to sleep was a small cleaned circle on the bed hardly big enough for a chld. At the time we had never heard of hoarding or understood that it was a mental disorder - needless to say that when the lady returned from the hospital she was devistated that her things were gone and that it didn't take long for it to return to the previous disorder. Made me appreciate how easy it is to fall into such a trap - have a tendancy to hoard myself so I have to be extra diligent not to keep too much stuff. Thank goodness I have a DH who comes through periodically and makes me get rid of stuff or who knows where we'd be. Bu I do like to think I'd never get this bad. wow.
    Old 03-28-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by MrsRodgers
    You can laugh all you want. It's your right to laugh if you feel like it. Just as it is that woman's right to have whatever amount of stuff she wants to have. It's HER house. It's HER stuff. And whoever said there should be an intervention is going to be offended, now, because what on earth gives one person the right to go through another person's things and say, hey, you don't live the way we think you should, so we're going to come in and mess up your little world. How would we like it if those who didn't quilt and sew came into our sewing rooms(and I've seen some nasty messy rooms on this board)and said, hmmm, we don't sew, and that's weird to
    us, and we don't think you should have this stuff, so we are going to take it away, and you have no say about it. NOT COOL....it's no one's business but hers. and how dare her offspring expose her little world that she has worked so hard at.
    I hadn't read the comments of others before I posted my thoughts. If I had, I would have written "ditto" on the bottom of yours. I am comforted by the thought that others have less of the "missionary" attitude inside them and don't try to convert everybody to be like them.
    Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 PM

OMG! I feel so bad for the young person who took these pics and how she must feel.
    Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 PM

I am cleaning closet in my sewing room for more fabric space and I thought I had a lot of junk, mine looks spotless after looking at that house.
    If that were my mothers home I would slowly ditch a couple of boxes every week.
    Dusty
    Old 03-28-2011, 05:50 PM

The hoarding pictures are a terrible sight, this lady has a problem, but her "stuff" if in a good order...I'm would think she owns her house, so it is possible that she can do her house as she wants,,the "lazy student" could find a different place to live. Also, at the end of the picture I think the language was not appropriate for this sight and am very surprised that it was allowed to br viewed..maybe surprised is too weak a statement.
    Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 PM

very sad.