I've Been Hacked!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2024, 06:52 AM

Default I've Been Hacked!!!!!!!

For the past couple weeks now I've been trying to get my computer cleared of any remote programs installed by a service that I've used in the past to clean files from my computer. I've used them for a couple years with no issues but this time they hacked me, kept me on the phone for a couple hours claiming a deposit to my checking account wasn't correct that came from their office. When ever I tried to open my bank account, they'd throw a blue screen on my computer stating windows was updating. They even had someone call me claiming to be from my bank's fraud dept. Finally after much frustration, I rebooted my computer without their knowledge and was able to open my bank account to see what they actually did was transfer $4500 from my savings to the checking to make it look like it came from them. I immediately hung up, shut my computer down and ran to my bank with a printout of what they claimed happened but didn't.

I sent my tower to be cleaned of any remote programs but once I got it back, I then got hacked on my Amazon account and my brother's bank account that I managed they tried to have $45,000 wired but I have so many alerts on his account that they called me to verify about this wire transfer. So now I've changed his bank account as well as all mine to new account numbers, had my tower wiped cleaned of all programs and windows reinstalled plus went to my internet office and had a new IP address. Now comes the fun stuff of reinstalling my programs, changing all my autopay accounts to the new checking account and having my pension and S.S. deposits changed for both myself and my brother.

I'm so afraid of this "AI" thing coming up as they can clone your voice, maybe your cell phone and god only knows whatever they might try to do. Luckily, I caught on to the goons and stopped them in their tracks though I'm still having issues with Amazon as they ordered Apple gift cards for $250 each and they're none returnable. Still fighting with them about it but my credit card that got charged for the ordered was closed out and they know about the scam.

Be wary as they are out to get us. Mine actually came out of Saigon though the phone number I called was Seattle, WA and the fraud guy's phone number was PA. They are good.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:01 AM

ouch. could have come from anything, cloning voice and cell and card cloning has been around for at least 20 years.
what i wont have is seri or axela type stuff. we only use one computer for anything bank/money/buying/selling.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:52 AM

We recently went through this with my mom. She was trying to print something and the printer wouldn't work. She *thought* she'd activated the troubleshooting section of the printer's settings, but it was really a popup and she was scammed - sort of. They showed her a screencap of her computer that made it look like it was full of corrupted files (photoshopped, nothing was actually corrupted) and that the only way to fix it would be to pay $500 for this software to be installed. The software is real but is available for $59.95.

I spent several days filing police reports, official complaints with attys general in 2 states, fraud reports with her credit card company. We also requested a new credit card from her bank, and had my son remote in to her computer, he fixed and cleaned it up for her. Turns out the problem with the printer was that it wasn't selected as the default printer.

She is easily frustrated by technology, so I told her the new rules are: 1) she does not do anything on her computer in the evenings. 2) If she gets lost or confused and needs help, her first call is to me, my brother, my husband, or my son, and she's not to think that she's bothering us. 3) She uses 2FA (2-factor authentication) on all her accounts.

I'm sure eventually I'll have to have access to all her accounts and finances to keep an eye on things, but I'm trying to keep her as autonomous and independent for as long as I can.
Old 06-13-2024, 09:30 PM

Peckish, I've been waiting for my new credit card to arrive. Online it says it was delivered but I haven't received it as yet so called the company to report it not received so I had it blocked until it does get here just in case my dumb mail boy delivered it somewhere. Can't be too careful these days.

My PC guy, Tim says that Microsoft Office no longer works on Windows 10 so he installed something else that works just as well. I tried it out and it will open up my old Excel files so I'm happy. On the other hand he told me my old Quicken 2012 wouldn't work either plus I couldn't find my disk to install it anyway so ended up having to order the new version of the program that now has renewal services but I already cancelled the renewal service for next year as I don't use their online options anyway. Just want to keep an eye on my accounts, stay alert to what's coming in and going out and how much money each month I have to play with after all the bills are paid.

Still waiting on the new account for my brother's bank. I asked the nursing home not to tell him what happened as he gets so worked up over stuff like that but they did anyway so I had to calm him down on the phone last night. Can't understand what part of "don't tell him what happen" that they didn't understand. Anyway, he now knows his money is safe and not to worry.

I'm also starting to use the 2FA wherever they offer it on any of my accounts including Google, Microsoft, etc.
Old 06-14-2024, 07:35 AM

If you want to see how these scammers do it, I recommend search youtube for "scammer payback". The guys name is Pierogi and it is very enlightening. He's one of the good guys.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

I was told by IT guy to never ever click on a pop up or ad. if you see something pop up that you want to know more about then Google the item or info. We have two step verification on all online pay sites. If the right code sent to us is not provided then access is denied. My nephew works for IT dept at a big company. He always uses a comic high pitch talk through the nose voice when asking an app to text for him. It's really funny listening to him. He said AI is serious stuff and mostly likely will be used for worse then good.