Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I've read that most who seem to know this stuff say this winter will be a bad one. >
  • I've read that most who seem to know this stuff say this winter will be a bad one.

• I've read that most who seem to know this stuff say this winter will be a bad one.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:29 AM

Not that ready but will have to cope!!
    Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 AM

Sounds like a quilting winter.....yeah!!!!
    Old 10-28-2011, 11:22 AM

I really hate to say this but I have heard the very same thing. <sigh> Pretty much a repeat of last year here in the midwest, at least. I don't mind a pretty snowfall (as long as I don't have to be out in it) but I do not care for the worry of losing power or family members (or myself) having to be out on the road when the weather is bad. Every few years, it seems, we have a weather system that will keep us out of school for a week at a time....it hasn't happend for awhile so this may be the year for it.

At least we should be warm...furnace started giving us a sooty smell last weekend so we called repair guy. He changed something but that did not take care of the problem. Said there was another 'fix' he could try but he would not be able to guarantee it would last the winter. I went back in our records and DH and I were both shocked to learn that we had put the new furnace in back in 1987!!! Yikes! So, thanks to our son in law who actually works in ecommerce for a heating/cooling distributer company, we are getting a new furnace put in (at a very good price since we are family!). The bad news is that the particular furnace is currently in Iowa and we are in IN. It will not even be shipped to the distibutership in Indpls until next Thurs. It is not too bad in our house...yet. And, as long as the sun is shining we should should be ok...just don't want windy/rainy days. Good thing I have lots and lots of quilts!
    Old 10-28-2011, 11:23 AM

My DH said just last night he thinks it's going to be a bad year. This is as we were watching snow falling on October 27th! :shock:
    Old 10-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Here where I am it is still no snow. nonetheless I was in Denver CO from Monday til Thursday and they got close to 15 inches of snow in some areas of the city. where I stayed we had about 8 inches. they cleared the roads fairly soon but still had freezing temps for the melted stuff. Can you believe when I got there it was 80 degrees. Next morning it was in the high teens. Brrrrr! Glad to get home to some sunshine. DH said it rained every day I was gone. hope it stops now that I am here. need more gravel in the drive.
    Old 10-28-2011, 11:41 AM

I don't remember if it ever snowed in MA in Oct before. WAY to soon for me, and appartently alot of drivers as there were many roll overs this am.
    Sure hope Sat's storm holds off until at least late afternoon, I have a craft fair until 3pm, then pack up and head home.
    Trip to NH on Sun to bring DGS home.
    Old 10-28-2011, 12:22 PM

I don't give much credit to weather predictors. They can't even get tomorrow's right. ;-)

If the rest of us made as many mistakes on the job as weather people do, we would all be fired. :-D
    Old 10-28-2011, 12:46 PM
    Power Poster

After my day today,l believe them.
    I now have two large piles of small branches i trimmed off the huge ones that fell in my yard. I dragged out five or six huge branches out to the driveway. I'm hoping someone with a saw will offer to cut them down for me and maybe someone with a pick up truck will offer to at least take them to the area our City set up as a temporary dump. If not I must hire someone to do it. I can't cut these down any more than I have and will not go near a power saw.
    Old 10-28-2011, 01:00 PM
    mim

I'll take what comes -- a winter with no snow hurts plants -- too much is also bad --

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Bad snow and ice storms, power outages, and extreme cold. Just a heads up to get prepared to stay warm!
    Old 10-28-2011, 01:03 PM

I do too but "NO POWER OUTAGE"