Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem >
  • Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

• Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM

Cari, you can join us for now. The only thing you're too late for is January's FQ challenge sign-up. Feel free to post any time. Don't wait until February to start improving your health.

nancia, I wish your daughter was not being obstinate. Her GM is gone and your daughter needs to be there for you and for closure for herself. At least you'll have Olivia - and we do want a picture of her quilt, and, of course, more pictures of her. Fibromyalgia is a b----. I'm in one of those 'try to find a spot that doesn't hurt' flares, too. Who knows what causes them. It's part of the mystery of the disease. I bought a picture frame with the Serenity prayer on it for the LR, but maybe I should put in the FR where I will see it often. It's hard to accept what we cannot change.

Sending two red fabrics isn't a problem as long as you sent one to each address. The intro every month says, -----. ---- or whatever you have. Red is great color.

I am still eating too much candy. I have plenty of food in the house, but fell into grabbing 'whatever' when I was getting ready for Christmas. Now that I have time to cook, I need to do so. Someone bought me box of the Pot of Gold Chocolates. They aren't bad so I should have opened them when a crowd was here. My weight is down slightly which is a plus, but the sugar comsumption has to decrease! I AM eating less sugar starting right now.

I stopped at both fabric stores on the way home from the doctor today. No purchases, but several called to me. A pinky-purple print that's down to $4 and a lilac and aqua striped batik that's much more. I did find a line that might do for the auction Spicy Spiral. Soft red print to lime print. It should sell as a spring runner in a red, green, aqua or off white room. I know I like it. That owner suggested Christmas prints, but I can't get excited about that at Valentine's Day. First I need to make sure I like my daughter's or it will be one of the ones donated.

I am gaining control of my weight and getting healthier.
    Judy

Last edited by irishrose; 01-06-2012 at 03:27 PM.
    Old 01-06-2012, 05:07 PM

I am going to go and consult a nutritionist regarding my weight gain and my Diabetes, has anyone done this? if so any tips?
    Old 01-06-2012, 05:45 PM

i want to add a note about eating for comfort. it starts with our very first meal-- a warm bottle, or at our mother's breast and from then on food becomes synonymous with being loved and cared for. and when we are not getting that sufficiently from others we add to it for ourselves. children who don't feel accepted for who they are, and loved for who they are , will feed themselves (overeat) or judge themselves unworthy (and starve themselves) and there are other reactions , too, but most of us at some point got the message from someone important to us that we were not loveable enough and so we started feeding our need to be more loved. it's sad, too, that the foods that release the best feeling chemicals in our bodies are the ones highest in sugars and the shortest lasting so we need to keep adding them. like any addiction, it builds and builds and gets harder and harder to break the cycle. next time you want to feel loved, pick up a dog or cat (or other warm fuzzy. iguanas, while pleasant, do not cause a release of endorphins) and give it a good hug and skritch. adopt a shelter pet. volunteer at a hospital. cuddle up with a warm blanket, a cup of tea with honey (or Honey) and be affectionate and loving toward someone else. nothing feels nicer than doing something nice. (ok, except maybe, being thinner, lol). break the cycle of reaching for food. i seem to always have a dog or cat on hand, and based on that i should be quite thin.....
    Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 PM
    mim

I went to the doc to set up a "warm body" patient record. Because we live on 2 coasts, we decided that it would be wise to have someone here also, even tho our main docs will be in Maine. The doc was very impressed with my trying to get down to a proper weight. I also went to the gym 3 times this week so I started the new years well, I think. And today the first FQs came in which is so very exciting. Only another 20 lbs to go and then the really hard part -- to keep it off. And I will rely on all of you to help.
    Thanks everyone -- Mim
    Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
    I am going to go and consult a nutritionist regarding my weight gain and my Diabetes, has anyone done this? if so any tips?
    I would find a place that has diabetes education with the nuturtion. I went thru a program that was at one of the hospitals and it helps.

Good luck getting your diabetes under control.
    Old 01-06-2012, 08:06 PM

Thank you I will check into that
    Originally Posted by createfourpaws
    I would find a place that has diabetes education with the nuturtion. I went thru a program that was at one of the hospitals and it helps.

Good luck getting your diabetes under control.
    Old 01-07-2012, 03:43 AM

Nancia, your post was very timely for me. Yesterday I really messed up. After working my night shift and not getting enough sleep afterwards, I made a hugh eating blunder. My husband told me to stop at our local Mexican restaurant and bring something home for dinner. I ordered without even thinking about my food plan and didn't realize it until after I finished knocking back 3 pork carnitas, rice, beans, chips, etc. and was so full that I felt miserable. If I had knowingly decided to eat like that it wouldn't have bothered me so much. But the fact that I did it without even considering the calories was scary! Luckily the scale this morning did not reflect what I'd done to myself!
    Old 01-07-2012, 09:39 AM

I went to my Saturday Weight Watchers meeting this morning. I forgot about it being the first of the year when everyone is trying to lose weight for their New Years resolution. The line doubled back on itself and went out the door. I weighed in at the end of the meeting. THere was still a line. I lost 4.8 pounds this week. WOOHOO! Better than I expected. I behaved myself this week. I wanted a big juicy hamburger and I worked it into my plan.
    Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 PM

Way to go, meanmom. You did well. A burger does sound good.

Podunk Princess, one slip doesn't make a bad month. When we know better, we do better. What are you going to order from that restraurant next time? Plan it now when you aren't feeling starving then you'll be prepared.
    Old 01-07-2012, 01:42 PM

Hi Everyone! Happy New Year! I am back from my cruise & feeling pretty plump! It was worth it though. I have looked through the thread a bit, but am not caught up yet so hope everyone is well. I came home to Christmas at my house so am in the process of taking it down. I wish it burned a few more calories!

Last edited by Maggiemay; 01-07-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling