Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem >
  • Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

• Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Old 01-07-2012, 03:07 PM

Hi folks! Glad to see the happy faces!
    Irish, thanks for your note and "care package". I've spent the week doctoring again. My blood is all over the place. but my oxygen levels are better, so no supplemental oxygen at this time. The good news? My doctor ordered me a new wheelchair for when we are out and about. This one is "portable" so we can fit it in the Toyota. Will receive it next week.
    ShortanSweet- I saw a diabetes educator and it was very helpful the first time I went. not so much the other times. the big eye opener for me was portion size, I was eating the right foods, just bushel baskets full.

My doctor encouraged me to try WW and says I HAVE to lose 100 pounds. How much does it cost to join?

I am working on my GFG still and enjoying it very much. I try to sew at least 30 minutes a day.

I need a new way to burn calories, I did start counting them again today, when I got to 1200 I didn't stop counting and I didn't stop eating! However, it did make me aware of how much I really eat when I think I don't.
    Old 01-07-2012, 03:32 PM

meanmom---great job on your weight loss this week. Keep up t he good work.

podunk---you still have time to lose what you want. don't beat yourself up

MJ- good to hear from you, glad you are getting a more portable wheelchair.

Maggiemay- welcome home---hope you enjoyed your cruise.
    Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 PM

Having more than one wheelchair when you need one is critical. I had one at home, one in the car for shopping and one at school during the two years I was confined. You are much more mobile if you aren't having to fold and load the home one all the time. Besides, it gets too dirty. Getting to work was interesting. I used my rented wheelchair to the door, double rails to hop down the stairs, a walker to the car and a friend met me at the car with my school chair - a gift from another friend. Such sweethearts. Glad to see you back. I was wondering about you when I was out walking. Thinking about you guys keeps my mind off walking the dogs on ice. It didn't look icy from inside. Ha! Thank goodness for YaxTrax.

I am feeling down. Is it time to start using the Sunlamp? I need to find some handwork if it is. I tried to knit a scarf with silk ribbon before Christmas and couldn't do it in a hurry. I can try again now that there's no time line - or start a GFG or yo-yo table runner. I wouldn't have the patience to do a quilt in either one.

Lions and Saints are on TV. I don't expect the Lions to win, but I hope they look respectable. I was surprised when they were ahead. Sad, when I'm in Michigan, but I'm a realist.

I'm going to make a mostly vegetable soup tomorrow. That's usually a good jump started for me. The grocery store I went to tonight had no lemons or limes. Has there been a shotage? I know Meijer's has plenty. I like a hamburger/cabbage base for my soup, but I can't eat the HB I've got here, so I guess it will be chicken for the meat.

I am gaining control of my weight and getting healthier.
    Old 01-07-2012, 09:44 PM

I stayed mostly to my plan today, but definitely NOT under 1200 calories. However, the realist in me sees I didn't get this enormous appetite all at once and I won't be successful by trying to stop cold turkey. It may work for some, but for me, I get angry and feeling deprived. Then I eat to "feel better", and this solution doesn't work.

I have a plan for tomorrow that I will reach my goal or very close. My meals are planned and I am moving more, not just bed ridden now. The mobile wheelchair will make a big difference as I won't "stay home" because it is "too much trouble to get the electric chair" out of the house.

Irish, I suggest it is time to get out the sunlamp and the GFG for a table runner. It is really very satisfying to hand sew these pieces. I love to look at the tiny stitches and realize I did them!
    Old 01-08-2012, 02:15 PM

Just got back from getting my nails and toes done, I did some pampering before I head back to work. I am excited to get back but also nervous as it will be the first time since Sept working or being around sick patients. I really dont want to catch anything so will be taking every precaution I can.

I still have about 5 more weeks of therapy to finish up.

I will be cutting more on my purple batiks gumball quilt. Got the strips cut, not to sub cut them.

Looks like we are turning in the second room on the apartment into an efficiency for my brother and SIL. I will be happy to get back into my apartment. Life throws us all suprises. Now to figure out what to do with my stuff that is in this room, since I was using it as storage. May have to rent a small storage unit after it is all said and done.

I am on track with my eating and weight loss. once therapy is done I will be joining the gym to continue my workouts. I am enjoying the place I go, and since they also allow you to use their facility not being a patient for a small monthly fee. I am excited to be able to continue.
    Old 01-08-2012, 03:39 PM

MJ glad to hear you are doing a little better. I think you feel better when you can get out of the house more. I like weight watchers because I can make anything I want to eat fit into the plan. 1200 calories is too low if you need to loose 100 pounds. With WW the amount you get each week changes with your weight. I really wanted a huge hamburger the other day and I made it fit into my plan. It doesnt cose anything to join. THe cheapest way is if you put it on your credit card monthly. I think it is $10 a month. They teach you how to eat. I feel like the weekly weigh in keeps me accountable. I am down 39 pounds. I have about 45 more to go.
    Old 01-08-2012, 04:51 PM

Sounds like everyone is doing fairly well. It's hard to get caught up after being gone. A big welcome to the newcomers!
    I'm almost home from vacation. We flew into Chicago and then stopped in Madison, WI at my daughter's apartment. My husband and I are here while the kids play some kind of role playing game. I should be home a little after midnight. I can't wait to sleep in my own bed and shower in my own shower. I don't think I gained any weight but I'll find out in the morning. My jeans seem a little looser.
    I am invited to go on a quilting retreat next week that had a spot open up. I'm in kind of a time crunch with vacation and then next weekend we go to Iowa for our last Christmas get together. The retreat would start the next day; I would be home 1 day and then we leave for Texas to stay until spring. I have to decide asap. I guess I should just say no but I really hate to miss out on a retreat.
    Old 01-08-2012, 05:11 PM

MJ, Weight Watchers is $48 a month here, so it's about $11 a week. TOPS is much less. I think $5 to join with a small weekly fee and some minimal 'fines'. I didn't care for the one here. Too much negatively presented as funny. Does your hospital have any sort of class or support group for diabetics?

Well, this soup will definitely take off pounds - they're going to go up in smoke. I subbed a can of Rotel tomatoes and chilies for the plain tomatoes. In a full Dutch oven, it shouldn't have added that much heat, but either it did or I'm becoming a wimp in my old age. I've lost 2 of my Christmas pounds and I think another one just vaporized. This is Ann Louise Gittleman's lastest weight loss soup. The hardest part was cutting up a big squash.

My house just won't clean itself and I have so much sewing I want to do. Tonight I will cut out the shapes for the Spicy S. Let's see if I can remember to drop down 3/4" on each cut this time.

I am gaining control of my weight and becoming healthier.
    Old 01-08-2012, 05:56 PM

Hi everyone, I have been very bad, just eating everything around. Will try to start again tomorrow. Irishrose, those rotel tomatoes sure do have a kick to them. I put them in my gumbo and had to give it away, because I couldnt eat it.
    Old 01-08-2012, 08:10 PM

When I get the rotel tomatoes.........I have to get the mild ones otherwise I can't eat them.

Tomorrow is a new day, get up and start over. Failure is not an option. this is your health.