Japan--before and after

Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
Here are another couple of links to really make yourself aware. The first earthquake I ever experienced was in Sendai in 1978 and whilst it was quite dreadful at the time, it is 'nothing' compared to this event.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...aftermath.html

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...its_japan.html
Jitkaau, thank you for sharing these. The world needs to see these. Out of every disaster, lessons are learned...and by that I'm not speaking of how to build stronger .... things.... but the lessons of the intangible, personal type....
We are on loan on this earth, and as short as it may be, let's try to make it full of kindness, caring and consideration of each other. I still want to believe that most of us share this kindered bind with each other, but the ugly, selfish ones get the attention.
You take care where you are.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 PM

Very, very scary. So sorry for those people. From a distance I can only pray for them. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SherriB
Wow. Those pictures are very sobering. :cry: :cry: To go from a beautiful seaside to mud, debris and so much death! I don't know if my mind could ever comprehend it if it happened here. My heart aches for every person affected by this horrible tragedy.
it did happen here..only very few paid attention to it...it was called Hurricane Katrina and it wiped out miles of the Mississippi gulf coast. Whole towns literally GONE...few knew or cared, because New orleans flooded...the number of lives lost might have been less, but the loss of nature, history, and more was just as devastating!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:00 PM

It's hard to believe anyone survived that.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Wow. Those pictures are very sobering. :cry: :cry: To go from a beautiful seaside to mud, debris and so much death! I don't know if my mind could ever comprehend it if it happened here. My heart aches for every person affected by this horrible tragedy.
it did happen here..only very few paid attention to it...it was called Hurricane Katrina and it wiped out miles of the Mississippi gulf coast. Whole towns literally GONE...few knew or cared, because New orleans flooded...the number of lives lost might have been less, but the loss of nature, history, and more was just as devastating!
I agree with you.............Here in Oregon we only heard about New Orleans. Yet, I knew more areas were hurt. The one thing that makes this different is a LOT more people were instantly killed by this earthquake and tsunami.

Someone asked if all Japan's preparedness really helped. Yes it did -- there is a video out of some tall skyscrapers swaying like our pine trees in the wind. They did NOT collaspse. Had they collapsed, millions more would have been killed.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:11 PM

Thank you so much for sharing those astounding, awful photos. We must all do whatever we can for these people. Again, thanks, I probably never would have found them.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:44 PM

I've had a rock in my stomach ever since last Friday. Can't leave CNN and FoxNews alone, day or night. I lived in Misawa, farther north, for about a year and a half, and used to go to Sendai for vacations.

I remember most of the town of Misawa burned down one night. My husband asked if I wanted to go down and see it about midnight, but I was too tired, and said I'd go first thing in the morning. By the time I got there, all the burned buildings were torn down and the town was all new wood wall studs and floor joists.

The Japanese are pretty stoic people, but this is just too much. Pray ..... and give .... all we can to help!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I agree with you.............Here in Oregon we only heard about New Orleans. Yet, I knew more areas were hurt. The one thing that makes this different is a LOT more people were instantly killed by this earthquake and tsunami.

Someone asked if all Japan's preparedness really helped. Yes it did -- there is a video out of some tall skyscrapers swaying like our pine trees in the wind. They did NOT collaspse. Had they collapsed, millions more would have been killed.
I agree, Japan's preparedness did help...even with the nuclear plants. The earthquake didn't damage the building. I understand it was the tsunami that damaged the water cooling system.
I wouldn't compare New Orleans to Japan...other than water was a factor. Japan is an island. New Orleans was built below sea level. People chose to remain in New Orleans to ride it out. People in Japan had 30 minutes to try to get away from a wave traveling 500 miles an hour. There really isn't anything to compare. I feel bad about those in New Orleans who left and had nothing to return to and I believe we have a number of folks now living in Portland from New Orleans.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 PM

Heartbreaking, those poor people.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:39 AM

Oh my goodness.