Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Jay Leno - comments about overweight/fat people >
  • Jay Leno - comments about overweight/fat people

• Jay Leno - comments about overweight/fat people

Old 06-15-2011, 07:52 PM

Now that's the pot calling the kettle black since he could stand to loose a few pounds himself.
    Old 06-15-2011, 08:02 PM

He is better than Letterman. We had back stage tickets to see Leno a few years ago so had my photo taken with him. I was so glad that he did not have any jokes or guests on that night that would make me mad or upset. I have not watched him for a long time. Letterman used to be funny but he is just an angry old man these days, and Letterman is really mean with his jokes.
    Old 06-15-2011, 08:32 PM

Jay Leno?? Googled him.......... consider the source! He is insecure with himself, and that is his way to try and hide it. Cable/Sat or internet has to have something on, if you get that desperate!
    Old 06-15-2011, 11:55 PM

A lot of the names mentioned here can be very controversial. But, they play to their target audiences. The rest of us can change the channel or not buy a ticket to their shows. There are a few current comedians out there that are both funny and "clean". Anyone heard of Larry Miller? I saw one of his shows live and had tears rolling down my face. And he didn't swear once in a 1+ hour show. And, I'm sure many are aware of the men that are part of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. That is another enjoyable show. Some of the subject matter can be a bit "dicey", but their show is something an entire family can go see and not have their sensibilities offended by nastiness and swearing.
    Old 06-16-2011, 05:14 AM

Not a fan of Jay Leno and did realize that he seems to enjoy making fun of overweight people. I don't know how some of these people can be popular like Kathy Griffin - I see nothing humorous about her jokes.
    Thinking that some people just enjoy putting other people down to built themselves up.
    I believe in the Golden Rule - treating others as you want to be treated.
    Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 AM

Red Skelton and Victor Borge could make me laugh until my sides ached. Abbott and Costello could have me feeling better with their antics. Humor does not have to be hurtful to be funny. I just choose to not watch those who think causing pain to certain groups of people is funny. That is another thing that we take for granted, we have the right to choose.

Which brings me to the statement by one of our members that Jay Leno is bringing attention to the obesity problem with his humor. In my humble opinion that is a large container of human waste. People who like to eat at fast food places choose to do so and it is their right. It may not be healthy, but they have the right to choose what to eat.

People who struggle with weight should not all be lumped together as being part of the obesity problem. When will we stop judging people by how much they weigh, what color their skin is or where they worship? We are all different, celebrate the diversity and stop hurting those who don't fit "society's" mold.
    Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 AM
    Power Poster

Actually, I thought a lot of ethnic/religious/political jokes to be quite funny.

Oley and Lena come to mind - - -

It usually goes over better it's a member of that particular group doing the telling of the joke than a member outside of that group telling the joke.

The overweight group doesn't seem to have a NAACP or ACLU to come to their defense - like some other groups seem to have.
    Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Actually, I thought a lot of ethnic/religious/political jokes to be quite funny.

Oley and Lena come to mind - - -

It usually goes over better it's a member of that particular group doing the telling of the joke than a member outside of that group telling the joke.

The overweight group doesn't seem to have a NAACP or ACLU to come to their defense - like some other groups seem to have.
    I am from Minnesota and remember the Lena and Oley jokes fondly, they were funny; but they were not intended to ridicule. The movie "Fargo" made fun of the dialect that some Minnesoteans have, I still laugh at that. It didn't hurt me and it wasn't meant to hurt me.

I will continue to speak up for folks who struggle with weight. I've been there and know how much remarks can hurt. My sister struggles with her weight, she is only 5' tall and can't carry many extra pounds. She is a bright, smart, cute, hard working, funny, and loving person. She loses weight periodically and then gains it back, but she is always the same terrific person so why should she have to take cruel remarks about her appearance?

This thread has certainly generated some heart felt posts. Kudos to you, Bearisgray, for bringing it up.
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:42 AM

I don't care watch alot of comedians performing, cause they seem to do stuff like this, & to me, it's just not funny. If you degrade someone, or something, in order to get laughs, then you are in the wrong business, to my way of thinking. Just like a bully, right!...
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 AM

My husband tells me almost every day that I am the most beautiful woman on the planet.

(5'3" and 244lbs)

I have a book at home that says we are supposed to be nice to each other and love each other. (it's called the Bible)

PS. I miss Red Skelton too.