Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris! >
  • July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

• July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    Here is some more wisdom from the nurse about dieting and our mindset:

//don't know if I am feeling true hunger for the first time or what//

If you are physically hungry: eat something. Hopefully something helpful.

If you are emotionally hungry you can eat everything in your house and it won't help. You have to figure out what you are feeling, what you really need, and how to get that need met. In other words you have to develop some new coping mechanisms, because eating won't work anymore. Emotional eating is just stuffing your feelings down with food. Emotional eating is a form of anesthesia. What is it you're trying to numb yourself about?

I have a feeding schedule. Like feeding time at the zoo. If it's not feeding time I don't get to eat. I don't ask myself "am I hungry?" or "am I not hungry?" I don't trust myself to know the answer. I just eat my designated portion at my designated time. Then I don't get to eat again until the next feeding time. If I think I'm hungry I drink a whole bottle of some low calorie liquid. I tell myself I can wait until lunchtime to eat (that's what normal people do). Or sometimes I say "you ate cookies for breakfast, you deserve to be hungry, you can just wait. Maybe tomorrow you'll make a better choice." You have to start setting loving limits with yourself.

Some of this is re-parenting.

I will always be recovering from emotional eating.

One thing I have learned since I had my surgery is that being hungry is not an emergency. I can eat when I get home or if that is not going to happen anytime soon then I will make a good choice that will hold me over until I can get home. Does this make sense? In the past when I felt hunger I felt like I HAD to deal with it at that moment. SO, it was off to fast food place. Bad choices, for sure.

Missy
    Missy, this is fantastic information. Food for my journal (pardon the pun)
    Thanks!
    Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 AM

Missy: Thanks for sharing with us. It really has made me stop and think, especially since I am a BIG emotional eater.

Karen
    Old 07-19-2011, 10:17 AM

Missy that is wonderful advice. The "If you are emotionally hungry you can eat everything in the house and it won't help." statement really hit home with me! It was like a duh moment with me. I am so going to remember that statement. If I wasn't to embarrased for everyone to see it I would write it on my refridge!

Well I had a wonderful surprise this morning I weighed and I am down 3 pounds from yesterday!!! So it was water weight and hormones that caused most of the weight! I was happy to just be back were I started the month yesterday when I weighed because I have not been sticking to my 1200 calories a day like I was before. Ever since starting this I have noticed that I either stop losing or gain the first part of the month but this month was worse than usual and I was not eating the way I should of. Today I feel so much better I have more energy and I am not spending the whole day trying to talk myself into eating everything in sight. I need to expect this and not give up so easy. I think it is true even if your scales say you aren't losing you really are so don't give up or get frustrated so easily.

I hope evryone is doing well today. Drink lots of water! It's 100 degrees here so that is no problem for us!:)
    My friend told me about slimfast.com having alot of good healthy recipes on thier sight. I am going to check it out and thought I would share that with you guys incase you are looking for some new recipes!
    Old 07-19-2011, 12:14 PM

MJ I am drooling with jelousy! I would love to have one of those beautiful machines! Congrats on your new baby! Are you going to do quilting for others or just for your own pleasure? I am really intimidated by them, I am not sure if I could figure out how to work it LOL.
    Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
    MJ I am drooling with jelousy! I would love to have one of those beautiful machines! Congrats on your new baby! Are you going to do quilting for others or just for your own pleasure? I am really intimidated by them, I am not sure if I could figure out how to work it LOL.
    You are not the only one drooling!! I so love the idea of having a LA machine!

Missy
    Old 07-19-2011, 12:52 PM

pam h.--do your best in the play . i know you will be successful! nerves are part of the actor's tools. break a leg, (preferably chicken)! my son is a playwrite so i always tell him to break a lead at his openings. a little drama humor.

Missy-- so happy your daughter is opening to you! children are such pain and happiness. two of mine are in dallas and i miss them so terribly. this little gd that we're waiting for has really helped us all remember the importance of contact. i talk to my dil 3 or 4 times a week now. usually we skype, so i've watched her grow. i hope everything turns out wonderfully for you and your girls!

your winnie the pooh reference must be to the disney version. i am a classically trained pooh person, myself. i even read most of it in latin. a a milne is probably rolling in his grave, but secretly happy that so many more children are knowing and loving pooh! i like the quote and will try to add it too my list of mantras. i also appreciate the wisdom of your nutrition nurse. glad you shared it with us!

mj-- great news should come in threes! happy la day for you and sarah! so now i can send all my flimsies to you? and also, on your numbers being normal! woohoo! and third, your weight being down! you've been a busy little body! i'm happy for you!

rita'smom-- waterweight is still weight! nice to get it off!

scapngmom-- i know how you feel! i'm so silly i work in the opposite. i try to starve my problems away. not anymore effective than stuffing them down. i've been working very hard to forgive and forget on all the things that have hurt me in the past, including my own actions. i should drop a 100 lbs, boom, just like that! if i could get them all out. such heavy baggage to carry around everywhere i go. and not a clean pair of underwear in any of those bags! lol

my good news-- i lost 1.2 lbs. but i round of, so 1 lb gone for good! unfortunately, it was not the pound that contained my headache. poof!

so, at the start of a new hot day, good luck everyone! drink, drink, drink! my water bottle and i are permanently attached at the lip! i woke up at 3:30p today and am now going to get breakfast. ww has a lovely mcmuffin knock-off that should just fill that tiny empty space in my tummy. then i hope to finish the little boy baby quilt. didn't touch it yesterday. i will post pictures when i'm finished. mj, i hope you will, too!

peace, my friends and family! i am losing. i am in control!
    Old 07-19-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by nancia
    pam h.--do your best in the play . i know you will be successful! nerves are part of the actor's tools. break a leg, (preferably chicken)! my son is a playwrite so i always tell him to break a lead at his openings. a little drama humor.

Missy-- so happy your daughter is opening to you! children are such pain and happiness. two of mine are in dallas and i miss them so terribly. this little gd that we're waiting for has really helped us all remember the importance of contact. i talk to my dil 3 or 4 times a week now. usually we skype, so i've watched her grow. i hope everything turns out wonderfully for you and your girls!

your winnie the pooh reference must be to the disney version. i am a classically trained pooh person, myself. i even read most of it in latin. a a milne is probably rolling in his grave, but secretly happy that so many more children are knowing and loving pooh! i like the quote and will try to add it too my list of mantras. i also appreciate the wisdom of your nutrition nurse. glad you shared it with us!

mj-- great news should come in threes! happy la day for you and sarah! so now i can send all my flimsies to you? and also, on your numbers being normal! woohoo! and third, your weight being down! you've been a busy little body! i'm happy for you!

rita'smom-- waterweight is still weight! nice to get it off!

scapngmom-- i know how you feel! i'm so silly i work in the opposite. i try to starve my problems away. not anymore effective than stuffing them down. i've been working very hard to forgive and forget on all the things that have hurt me in the past, including my own actions. i should drop a 100 lbs, boom, just like that! if i could get them all out. such heavy baggage to carry around everywhere i go. and not a clean pair of underwear in any of those bags! lol

my good news-- i lost 1.2 lbs. but i round of, so 1 lb gone for good! unfortunately, it was not the pound that contained my headache. poof!

so, at the start of a new hot day, good luck everyone! drink, drink, drink! my water bottle and i are permanently attached at the lip! i woke up at 3:30p today and am now going to get breakfast. ww has a lovely mcmuffin knock-off that should just fill that tiny empty space in my tummy. then i hope to finish the little boy baby quilt. didn't touch it yesterday. i will post pictures when i'm finished. mj, i hope you will, too!

peace, my friends and family! i am losing. i am in control!
    Yes I am so happy that my daughter is wanting to see me!

I find it so interesting that as I meet people who have had to struggle with their weight that so many of us have had some serious emotional/physical issues to deal with. It is no surprise that when we have been violated we take ourselves to food for comfort. It is my hope that we take our heartaches to our journal or prayer or whatever that brings us comfort. It is safe there and we are safe now. We no longer need the comfort that comes from food. We ARE in control now. We are beautiful and we are worthy of feeling beautiful, regardless of the numbers on the scale. Our pain and our heartaches are real but we do not have to be a slave to them anymore. Again WE are in control now not those memories.

BIG HUGS my friends! I love y'all and we will succeed because we are losing and we are in control!

Missy
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-228942.jpe  
    Old 07-19-2011, 01:23 PM

I will be taking in flimsies after I get to know Sarah. And I will be cheap, but simple. I'll let you know when I'm open for business!
    I would love to have some customers, as long as you realize I am a simple, simple quilter.

I'll show examples as I learn as I go.
    Old 07-19-2011, 01:25 PM

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you've forgotten the words." - Wanda Brunstetter (Lydia's Charm)
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-228953.jpe  
    Old 07-19-2011, 02:55 PM

Shrink Yourself is giving a free 7 day membership and you don't have to give your credit card!!! This is amazing. I signed up for the free period. I've been thinking about joining but honestly I'm too cheap.

http://www.shrinkyourself.com/seven_day_free_trial.asp