Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris! >
  • July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

• July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

Old 07-27-2011, 08:30 PM

ok, everyone move over and hand me an oar! this is turning into a very big boat we're all in!! i went to the shore today and did really well until i opened the little bag of trail mix. i didn't finish it because as i stuffed face i read the nutrition advice. only 120 calories a serving. not bad. oops, this little bag holds 7 servings!!! based on that i ate at least 5 servings, that's 600 calories ! man, that is rotten!

mj- 11x 160 = 1760 calories, not 1500. is there more to the equation? i have NO idea how much my final weight for july is but it won't be much change in whatever direction it goes!

ooooooh, before i forget!!!! my ddil called and we will have a baby no later than wednesday!!! if she doesn't pop on her own they will induce either tuesday pm or wednesday am! woohoo, i'm having a grandbaby!!! 33 yrs in the making!
    Old 07-27-2011, 09:16 PM

Good job, Liz.

I have 10 calories for every pound of your desired weight written down inside one of my cupboards - Dr Sears 40, 30, 30, diet, I think. For 140 pounds that'd give me only 1400 calories. Makes a Dove ice cream bar a big percentage of my day's allotment. Now we know why I am stuck.

Nancia, those serving sizes will get you. I have a 13 year old GD, who, like me, has no appestat. We never feel full. I have been working with her on label reading - also on waiting until the next scheduled time to eat. Funny thing is, she's not a birth granddaughter. My son married her mother when she was 2 1/2. I have only been full once in my life - one Thanksgiving. I'm not sure Miss G has ever felt full.

Sunday is the 31st. We can all get it under control now if we want to. As I used to teach the kids learning to read that wanting has to come first. I, for one, am not going to spend this week on cruise control waiting for a new month. As Xylie says, let's get 'er done.

I AM losing weight. Judy
    Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 PM

Irishrose,I am sorry,I knew it was you or rita'smom.You both are so wise and so graceious that I do get who said what mixed up.Ya,it's not easy to lose weight,it just isn't.We have to be diciplined,eat low calorie but good tasting foods.Toss the junk foods out and don't buy them if you can't keep your fingers out of them.My hubby has a sweet tooth.So I buy him chocolate kisses as he loves them,and I don't.So,not a candy problem.He likes ice cream,so I but the fry's brand,he likes them and I don't.So,not a ice cream problem.Now if I bought the good brand ice creams and candy's.I'd weight 500 pounds,cause I can't say no/but this way of shopping,he gets his fix,yet I stay out of them.I do buy tapioka snack puddings.I can freeze them for a ice cream like treat.Also,I can put them in a ice cream cone w/a little cool whip.And it's a good low cal treat.And don't forget,sometimes we can put on up to 10 pounds of water weight on,not to count,if you been eating a lot and haven't deposited anything in the toilet,that could be it.This month I was up 10 pounds back to 168 and couldn't figure it out.Till I dropped the 10 pounds in 2 days,then it dawned on me,it was water.So,maybe we don't gain it all back.The main thing is to be brutaly honest and eat less.My mom bought a book a long time ago the was titled, "LET'S EAT TO LIVE,NOT LIVE TO EAT".We love to eat,lets face it.I love chinese food.I love Italian,you name it,I love it.But don't buy it.I can't buy it.Cause if I do,I'll eat the whole thing.So I don't buy anything,I know will do that to me.I had to break a lot of old bad eating habits.It wasn't easy,but had to be done in order for me to lose.I had to sacrifice my wants,for my weight managment.I screw up too,we all do.It's part of being a human being is 'lusting' after other things.I lusted after cake 5 months ago and gained 15 pounds.I just got it back off 1 1/2 months ago.So,it wasn't worth it.That was the worst screw up I've done in 4 yrs of getting it off.And I did it delibratly.I didn't care,I wanted that cake by gosh,and I had it plus 4 more.Well,then I got on the scales and saw the damage.Did I give up?No.I thought how stupid it was for me to do that to myself after all that hard work of losing 93 lbs from 250 to 157 pounds in 4 yrs.There is no magic pill.How did you lose it?Is always the 1st question I get.What did you do? Like I magically dropped it over night.No,I worked hard,cut the crap out,dropped calories,burned calories,drank lots of water,ate salads,portion control.Controlled what went in my mouth.And slowly it began to come off.4 yrs later,that's how I did it.Are you comitted to 4 yrs?6 yrs?2 yrs?1 yr? you have to be determined and make up your mind once and for all you mean business.I got sick and tired of being fat and made my mind up it was coming off.And I didn't know it was going to take the rest of my life,but it will because we do have to keep it off once we get it off.That is more hard work for me,because once I get to my goal,I can not start gaining again.So will have to find my calorie/burn intake to maintain it.So,bottom line is.No,it's hard to lose weight.But you can very easy if you get on a plan that shows results on the scales.That will get and keep you more encouraged than anything else.There is no magic bullet.Even surgeries,all they do is make you eat less,and you still have to work that program.Harder than a non surgery program.You can do it if you make up your mind and quit playing with fire and eating this,and then that,next thing you know your up 10 pounds or 15 like me because you got to have what you want to have.I want a lot of foods too,but just can;t eat them.I can't just have one.If I have a hamburger,I have to have french fries and a coke.So I buy patties and cook my own.I don't have coke,but stay with water.And have a smidge {2 TBS of potato salad.That's plenty and fills me up.So,just tweak your desires like that.That way your still on point,yet get a burger or what ever it is.If you will follow missy's things of what the dr said,like eat breakfast,have small meals,don't eat after dark,esp before bed.etc.Then you will begin to see the scales drop.Like I did.So good luck and above all,stay with it.Don't slip.If you want a slip,wait till you get 20 pounds off,then slip 1 day.The next day get back to business till the next 20 pounds is off.Don't slip in between tho.If you do,get back on and keep going,keep going!!!
    Old 07-27-2011, 10:24 PM

Tomorrow we start our county fair. I love watching my daughters show and barrel race but it is an exausting 2 weeks. Especially the first 4 days, that is the horse fair and we end up almost living down there, but we also have to still do our chores at home too. So by the end of horse fair we a so tired and dirty and usually sunburned we start to wonder why we even do this. lol Eating healthy will be a challenge. I have fruit and some healthy snacks but we end up eating out most nights because we get home so late and are all so tired. S
    Old 07-28-2011, 02:17 AM

Good morning friends!
    Xylie you are so right. Losing weight is hard work and takes constant diligence.

rita's mom, Good luck to you and your daughter. I used to show horses in my younger days and thinking about it I don't know how I would have stayed on a food plan. My suggestion is take it one day at a time and watch your portions. For instance if you buy a hamburger don't eat the bun or only eat half the burger. I remember what Missy said - always ask for a to go container when you order and put at least half your food in it before you start to eat.

I have realized by reading this thread that I have to do a better job of portion control. I've been cheating on my portion measurements. When I have cereal I pour it into a measuring cup but instead of stopping at the top of the cup I run it over and tell myself that's O.K. Well it's not O.K.

I'm going to take it "One Day at a Time" and address my food problems "One Problem at a Time".

Time to work on honesty in my program.

Let's get 'er done one day at a time. I'm Losing One Day at a Time!
    Old 07-28-2011, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    the definition of disease is:
    A disease is an abnormal condition affecting the body of an organism. It is often construed to be a medical condition associated with specific symptoms and signs.[1][2] It may be caused by external factors, such as infectious disease, or it may be caused by internal dysfunctions, such as autoimmune diseases. In humans, "disease" is often used more broadly to refer to any condition that causes pain, dysfunction, distress, social problems, and/or death to the person afflicted, or similar problems for those in contact with the person. In this broader sense, it sometimes includes injuries, disabilities, disorders, syndromes, infections, isolated symptoms, deviant behaviors, and atypical variations of structure and function, while in other contexts and for other purposes these may be considered distinguishable categories. Diseases usually affect people not only physically, but also emotionally, as contracting and living with many diseases can alter one's perspective on life, and their personality.

Overeating qualifies as it contributes to death, emotional problems, alter's life and can be atypical variations.
    Thank you so much for this description of disease. And thank you for your support as I work my program. :-)
    Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 AM

I think my problem with over eating is that it was a learned response to everything.

Whenever my brother was sad, Mom would give us ice cream to make him feel better, bullied at school,she'd make a big pan of cinnamon rolls.

She never wanted to deal with emotions herself and taught me the same coping mechanisms. Mom and I never stopped at one roll or 1 scoop of ice cream, we'd polish off the entire carton or pan.

Mom would always trying to entice my little brother into eating because he was a super picky eater. He would stop when he was no longer hungry with reasonable amounts of food. Mom felt there was something wrong with him and would buy his favorite foods and if I tried to eat some it was always, "you can't have that, I bought that for your brother." or "that's not for you."

So it got to the point that if she bought something good, I'd hurry up and eat it so I'd have some and not have to share... Ok, so slight selfishness problem that I hope I grew out of. Wow, I haven't lived at home for 25 years and I'm still working on this.

Isn't it amazing what they consider portion sizes? I picked up a snack size nuts and dried fruit bag out the vending machine thinking max it was 2 servings-it was going to be lunch so I figured I'd factor in the calories. Wrong, I read the back and that little bag was 4 servings of 160 calories each. And it's so easy to down over 1000 calories without thinking about it.

The one day at a time approach-sometimes I go further and think one minute at a time. Just for this minute I'm not going to do that.
    Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 AM

Interesting discussion on here in just the last couple days!

I founnd on the internet somewhere that if you want to maintain your weight you should take 14x current weight. If you want to gain go up to 2 calories per pound over and if you want to loose go to 10-12 per pound.

Also remember that one pound of fat is 3500 calories! So when you're struggling with no weight loss, think back to whether or not you've cut at least 500 calories per day that week! This is the one that gets me, just cutting 500 calories in one week will only burn off ONE pound of fat!

My trainer, when I was working with him, used to tell me, if you have to eat out do it. Try to make the best choice you can, but if you have to have that 1000+ calorie meal, realize that you'll have to work at LEAST 500 calories off to even come close to breaking even! That sticks with me and helps me make better choices. to burn 500 calories, according to the internet, you'd have to do 2.5 hours of cardio work! so i think is that meal worth 2.5 hours of cardio? Do I even feel like doing cardio today? Do I have time for cardio today? If I answer no to any of those questions I make a different selection.
    Old 07-28-2011, 05:46 AM

The knowledge of people on this thread is amazing! What a great support group! In my head I know what I need to do. I have always told myself if I want to be a skinny person, I have to eat like a skinny person. That only works if you are thinking about what you are eating. I don't always do that - hardly ever lately. I have a class reunion in 10 days. Those people remember me being super, super skinny. I have gained over 70 lbs since then. (average 2 lbs a yr) Not that I would ever want to be that skinny again. Last summer I dieted and lost 20 lbs. That diet was very unrealistic. No way could I eat those bars and shakes for the rest of my life. In true diet fashion, I have gained back that 20 plus another 6. Too bad I didn't find this group this spring. With the help of this group (once I get my mind set) I should be able to lose 4-6 lbs a month and keep it off. Keep it off. KEEP IT OFF!!
    Old 07-28-2011, 07:22 AM

I would really love to join you all for the August weight loss adventure. I knew for some time I needed to lose but I wasn't in the mind set to do it. I have finally got myself in the right frame of mind, and have started making changes. They are showing on the scale, slowly but surely. I didn't put it on overnight and I know it isn't going to fall off overnight either. I have 50 pounds to lose.