Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!! >
  • June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!!

• June 2012 Weight Loss adventure with a prize!!!!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:59 PM

congrats on the red quilt, judy! all my obligations for june are nominally finished. since i'm not happy with one of the projects i will be remaking it, but no rush! i have also finished a jacket for a friend, a dress for olivia (which i can't find to mail to her), 2 quilt tops for a friend to quilt, a doll quilt, a modern mini, and an art quilt, and a needlecase. been a busy month, but feels good to at least have something to show for it! now, i have to quilt olivia's quilt! i have done my first reasonably ok fmq on the needlecase. long as i have lines to follow, like the flower print, i'm not good, but i'm not lousy either! makes me feel encouraged! olivia is getting squiggly lines because i can do those easily and enjoy doing them. she will be happy to see me, she won't care about the quilt at all!

OH, i forgot to add-- whoever wins the june 1/4s, please pm me your address and i will send your 1/4. i keep forgetting to do that! well, i've been busy, y'all!

Last edited by nancia; 06-26-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 PM

I'm back. Dogs walked and pictures posted. If you want to see the red quilt that took forever, it's here.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t192881.html I didn't whine there about the machine breaking down, etc. Y'all heard all that. It took 4 machines to do it, but it's delivered. nancia, don't look too close at my flowers. My art work is no rival for yours.

My ex-husband is in ICU and there's no one else to take care of him. Like I needed another thing to do, but I remind myself he was good husband for almost 40 years and the father of my five wonderful children, so I try to be polite.

I don't think I will start the next Spicy Spiral tonight. I am tired and my tutoree comes in the morning in the summer (tomorrow). Good for him so he has bulk of the day to himself, but I am not a morning person.

Eat healthy, drink lots of water and move your body. Even if the pounds don't disappear as quickly as we'd like, it's all to the good. What one thing did you do for yourself today?
    Old 06-26-2012, 08:20 PM

have not had a good week and have not been walking...no a/c in the Dallas heat and I can't get up the energy to walk...hopefully new a/c unit will be in within a few more days....maybe I'll melt it out hahah
    Old 06-26-2012, 09:26 PM

Judy, congrats on finishing your red quilt. I see why it took so long. Wow! Fantastic job!
    Nancia, you should feel very proud of all your accomplishments this month.
    Gayle, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. That is the hardest thing about having pets.
    Brenda, try not to melt. I can't imagine living in that Texas heat with no a/c. I hope it gets fixed soon.
    We are going to have a couple of hot/humid days here. Today was gorgeous so I weeded one of my flower beds. I also spent some time working on a mystery quilt. I'm going to try to clean a little and sew a little (or a lot!) every day. I have no more excuses for not exercising. My house is empty except for my oldest daughter living here for a few weeks and she is working every day. I plan to do a workout video in the morning and walk with Amber most evenings. Probably not the next couple of days when the heat index will be 100.
    Instead of sitting here yawning I think I'll make myself go to bed.
    Old 06-27-2012, 02:46 AM

Good morning everyone. Hope everyone is moving along with their new "weigh" of life. I'm actually doing well for this first month and hopefully this is the beginning of a very LONG relationship, lol. Finally got an eliptical from sears that really really does work (after months of fighting with them and many repairs).
    -Congrats on the red quilt being finished......it is BEAUTIFUL. And WOW Nancia, sounds like you've really had a very productive month. My one quilt I'm working on is still lying on the couch, untouched since last week . This past weekend was my oncall weekend, so I'm not much good for anything the following week .
    -Jim's Gem, so sorry for your loss!!!
    Hope everyone has a blessed day!

Last edited by cdmmiracles; 06-27-2012 at 02:51 AM.
    Old 06-27-2012, 04:05 AM

Gayle, I am so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to say goodbye to a beloved furkid but to have something happen so suddenly and unexpected is hard to wrap your head around. Since you love labs you might look into a purebreed rescue when you're ready for a new companion.
    Old 06-27-2012, 03:32 PM

Gayle so sorry to hear about your baby. It is really hard to lose a family member like that. Nancia it sounds like you had a really productive month. WOW that is a lot to finish in a month. Irish I love the red quilt. No wonder it took so long. Weight is OK this month. I am leaving Friday morning for Hilton Head. I haven't been to the beach in years. My DH doesn't like the beach. Doesn't like to travel. I am going with my youngest daughter it is about 11 1/2 hour drive. We are staying with my brother in his timeshare. So it is a cheap trip. I have been exercising a lot so not sure what the weight will be. I haven't weighed all week. I have been doing Zumba 2x a week and an hour on the elliptical 4 days. WIth 3 days of some weight lifting. Eating hasn't been awful but not the best. I will find out on Friday.
    Old 06-28-2012, 06:48 PM

Oh, ladies, I am well done. What's the expression --Stick me with a fork and turn me over? Walking the dogs in this heat is ridiculous.

Bad news, ex-husband has cancer in one kidney and possibly in his thyroid (again). And I'm the only one available to drive him a hundred miles for surgery. He will be there at least four days. I'm supposed to be cleaning house for the arrival of a GD and her friend and getting ready for her Michigan graduation party.
    I think I need to buy this wall art from Frecklehound on Etsy. [ATTACH=CONFIG]345332[/ATTACH]

I foresee several weeks of doing nothing except walking the dogs and sitting in hospitals. The dogs will need to be boarded next week. I hope the big kennel is available because they can't separated. I'd better get their Bordetella tomorrow. If my house were in order, I'd talk to the young man next door.

I haven't had a lot to eat today so some good may come out of this. I want so badly to get this weight under control. The month is almost over. Who's our winner? Too bad there's not a prize for the most gained. I'd be a shoo in.

Okay, I need to find some FQs or scraps to cut for hexagons and drop them in the washer. If I have to sit around, I may as well see if I can do a GFG by hand - a table runner only, of course. I'm not patient enough to think of doing a quilt. I want to do a hand appliqued rose, but that would take a search for the perfect fabric and I have no time for that. Where are my arthritis gloves? They may be covered with coral paint, but they do help.

The red quilt isn't done. In my rush to get it to my DD when she came Tuesday to go out to dinner, I forgot to do a label. Do you think I can back for a few hours? Probably if I ask her bring it to work with her, then pick it up and return it the same day. Maybe she'll make me sit in the doctor's office and sew it on there while she works. This is the DD that sat by the washer and dryer when her 'bankie' was being laundered. Then again in the 70s when her raggedy jeans were being washed.

meanmom, your brother is going so surprised to see you. Enjoy your vacation.

Goodnight, all, and to all a good eating day.
    Judy
    Attached Thumbnails scraps.jpg  
    Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 PM

Judy, you have a lot on your plate right now. Please be good to yourself. Caregivers are the first to give, but they are sometimes the first to hurt themselves also.

I think the plaque is appropriate. The one I have in my kitchen says "I'm a woman of many moods, and they all require chocolate."

Now tell me what is a GFG? These tech terms are above me. Yes, I remember when Dad was in the hospital in AZ for open heart surgery, I had a needle work project that I worked on for weeks. I finished it but haven't ever quilted it. Sounds like me. One day I'm going to get all of these projects out and sell them all.

I broke my own rule today. Only made it yesterday also. I said "NO MORE FABRIC". Was at Hancocks today and they had some that called my name. I have 5 of the 8 needed for another spicy swirl. This time it's more for the Christmas holidays. Dark maroon to dark forest green. Can't wait to see how it comes out. My mind keep planning on other things, so I guess I had best keep sewing.

Oh darn, my sleeping pill is working already - I best get to bed before I need to drag myself there.

Have a great evening ladies.
    Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 PM

Grandmother's Flower Garden. I have a totally hand pieced and hand quilted quilt made for me by my grandmother in the 60s. She had made me a star quilt and I wore it out. She was so happy to know someone used one of her quilts that she made me another - the GFG. I was more careful with that one, even though at that time I wasn't a fan of the pastels. It is so cool to look at it and see pieces of my childhood stitched in. Grandma made many of my dresses .[ATTACH=CONFIG]345355[/ATTACH]
    The star quilt is being cut up and framed - one for me and one for each child who wants one. The first cut was the hardest, but this way, it will still be treasured. [ATTACH=CONFIG]345357[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 100_0183.jpg   100_0182.jpg