Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! >
  • June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

• June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

Old 06-05-2011, 05:50 PM

Missy,
    You are an amazing wonderfully inspirational woman. Thank you so much for sharing your story.
    Nancy
    Old 06-05-2011, 06:21 PM

Had a somewhat bad day. Had to get up early to take DH to the airport. stopped to feed the kids at a crackerbarrel. Ate more then I should, but left more then half behind, so I still think that's a victory! Plus I've got my last two workouts with my trainer I was working with during the semester, so I know he'll make me work it off!
    Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 PM

I'm still here :) I need to pm Missy for her address. I have been very busy last week and a half with moving my son and daughter in law :)

Congrats to you Missy :)

Oh and with the moving, routines were changed.. I walked when I could (when not too late and or exhausted! Food was the big problem.... son had pizza delivered and one night we had hamburgers... This week I am getting back to my routine and hoping to see some results! Life has its ups and downs, so I just pick myself up and dust myself off and start over again :)
    Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 PM

i see why everyone was upset not to have heard from you. you are amazing! i'd proudly walk next to you on your journey. i know the surgery is no easy fix. 2 of my best friends have had it done, both were successful in losing the weight but it was definitely tough. one was my best friend from hi school. she died 2 weeks ago from a heart attack while getting chemotherapy. i am so glad you've taken control of your life, and even tho' we're "new" friends, i'm with you, and i appreciate your telling your story and your support. best of the best, missy!
    xylie, i 'm so sorry your step=daughter couldn't connect with us. we're not miracle workers, but i do think the positive power of love and caring has an effect. sorry for your pain and loss, nanci
    Old 06-05-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by fernheimer
    Missy,
    You are an amazing wonderfully inspirational woman. Thank you so much for sharing your story.
    Nancy
    Thank you so so much! That was so sweet of you to say.

Missy
    Old 06-05-2011, 08:25 PM

rose of sharon, sounds like you had a pretty rough time. thank goodness tomorrow we all get to start over and try again. good luck and good eating! (can your son afford to eat pizza? i have 2 thin kids, and 1 slightly round, his mother's child for sure LOL).
    Old 06-05-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by nancia
    i see why everyone was upset not to have heard from you. you are amazing! i'd proudly walk next to you on your journey. i know the surgery is no easy fix. 2 of my best friends have had it done, both were successful in losing the weight but it was definitely tough. one was my best friend from hi school. she died 2 weeks ago from a heart attack while getting chemotherapy. i am so glad you've taken control of your life, and even tho' we're "new" friends, i'm with you, and i appreciate your telling your story and your support. best of the best, missy!
    xylie, i 'm so sorry your step=daughter couldn't connect with us. we're not miracle workers, but i do think the positive power of love and caring has an effect. sorry for your pain and loss, nanci
    Amazing? Wow. I would never have thought of myself that way. I just simply think of me being me. I have not had an easy time in this life but things are rolling in a great way for me now. I feel so thankful that my life has been spared to this point so that I could change my life and get healthy.

I know that God has rewarded me for my work by bringing my girlfriend Cathie into my life. She is incredible and truly is my soul mate and I could not imagine my life without her in it. I am seeing clearly that at different points on my journey I am finding rewards and gifts from God. I believe that we all have that available to us as we travel down our highways in life.

I think that people imagine that when you are almost 500 pounds that you smell and are a slovenly person that eats nonstop all day long. Not true. I also have heard people say to my face that I am disgusting because of my hanging belly or my huge butt. I might be disgusting to them but to those that know me and love me, I am beautiful. When I look in the mirror I see cheekbones now and I see dimples and I can really see my eyes that change colors. I love what I see now. Not because I have the body of a supermodel but because I know that there is joy in the journey and whether I goof up at a meal or I don't go to the gym I am still so happy to be on this journey. I am so thankful that my surgeon set concrete goals for me before he would do the surgery. I am so thankful that for the first time in 10 years I am wearing a size 4X in pants instead of the 7X I was wearing 3 months ago. I am SO excited that I can wear real athletic shoes with socks and I do not need any help getting them on and tied. I can fasten my own bra. I can clean myself. I can do my hair and look pretty. I can put on my make up and love what I see. I can stand up and wash dishes now instead of dragging a chair up to the sink. I can drive my car. I am no longer in a wheelchair. I can walk without a walker. I can go downstairs to our basement and walk back upstairs without taking a break and many more things.

Anyway...I got off track. I would love to hear what some of you are able to do now that you could not do or could not do easily since you started on your journeys.

I hope you have a great night! :)

Missy
    Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    Xyliee,

Oh my word. I am so sorry to hear about your step-daughter. Before I started my weight loss journey I weighed 475.5 pounds. I was so big. My belly (or as the surgeon calls it: my pannus) is BIG. Right now it hits about mid thigh. I absolutely HATE it. The surgeon told me that once I get down to around my goal weight or around 200 or so, they will begin the process of me getting the abdominoplasty or a lower body lift. I am most embarrassed about my belly. The surgeon has said that as the weight begins to come off the belly will go south even more. Nothing I can do about that. There is no amount of exercise that will take that away because I was/am so very big.

This is something that I do not discuss with anyone but my mom and my therapist. It is a source of utter humiliation for me. Weighing myself is a real challenge outside of the hospital. A scale may say it goes to 440 pounds but because I am so wide (in all directions) it does not weigh me accurately and always results it it reading as error. The only scale that weighs me accurately is the one at the hospital. It goes to 1,000 pounds and is much wider than I am so I know that when that scale says 392.0 that is exactly what I weigh. I thank God daily for the surgeon and the nurses in the Bariatric Center because they jump up and down with me when I lose and shed tears with me when I have gained. I love them as if they were my family. They have been following me a long time and when I went in the day I went to SIoux Falls to have my surgery, they cried with me knowing I have exceeded my weight loss goal by 8 pounds and would then be able to have the surgery I had longed for for so many years. When I weigh in tomorrow it will be one more step that they will take with me. I love those people.

I worked so hard for so long to get this surgery because I knew without a doubt that if I did not have the weight loss surgery I would die from complications of obesity. I never EVER considered this surgery a quick fix. It has always been a tool that I will use to regain my life and to get healthy.

I am actually in the category of super morbidly obese and I am yearning for the day when I am just obese.

There are not many of us that are in this bad category that will openly discuss their challenges and victories. Most all of the people I have come across of this group and the other forums I am on are in the 200s or maybe the lower 300s. I have never "met" anyone online who is at my weight or above it. I seem to be the heaviest everywhere I go.

In my past I would have retreated from any sort of discussion like this because of my embarrassment but I have decided that shining a light on my situation and exposing the challenges, victories and all of that might help one person know that they are not alone and that they do not have to wait until they have to be cut out of their house to get help. There is support, help, concern and love for them where ever they are in their journey towards becoming healthy.

I hope writing this does not upset anyone. I just wanted to say that maybe there is someone lurking on here that may be in my category of poor health that needs a friend. Write me, call me, reach out to me. I am here to help and to encourage and to care.

Love to all.

Missy
    Thanks.You are so right.You are not alone at all.Believe me.And that is why we are so proud of you.Because for many on here,I know,they are struggling too.And are here looking for both help and answers.And there is nothing wrong with you having surgery.If I could of got one,I would have,believe me.But mine wasn't in the cards,so I did the next best thing.And stuck with it,and it is paying off.Been a long road,but one worth traveling.I should of done it sooner.But until we're ready and say that's it,we're not ready to give up our comforts and habits.It's hard,but can be done.I have to make other choices now.In stead of eating ice cream,I get pudding snacks and freeze them.Tastes good and a lot less fat and calories.I improvise healthier choices.So,we need to keep talking about your journey.It is helping us all.And as we lose more weight,it will inspire others to do the same.I know my way isn't for everybody,but sure has worked for me.I'm never hungry,lose weight,can't exercise,but burn my calories just the same but in other ways,like the hot peppers.I drink tons of water to flush the fat out.As that is what it does.And your way may not be for everybody,but is working for you great.I heard the best diet plan out there is Jenny Craig.May or may not be.But where they deliver meals,that's great,but their expensive,and they also tell you to exercise and drink water.So,for me,that's why I like mine.Same thing only way way cheaper.So,keep talking about it.We all are both concerned,and interested about your journey.And I know,some will opt to have it too maybe.Which would be great.Especially for the bigger ones,Both our ways work for us.And I know if nothing else,there is other plans on here that are working for others.Like the 17 day plan.In fact I may give that a go.I'm pretty focused and would stick with it.But for me,mine is portion controlled eating.So,my vote is keep talking,and speaking out,your comfort zone about it is growing,as is this thread.And it will continue to grow.We have a LOT of lurkers watching and wanting to come in and get on board too.So,lets help them out.
    Old 06-05-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Xylie55
    Thanks.You are so right.You are not alone at all.Believe me.And that is why we are so proud of you.Because for many on here,I know,they are struggling too.And are here looking for both help and answers.And there is nothing wrong with you having surgery.If I could of got one,I would have,believe me.But mine wasn't in the cards,so I did the next best thing.And stuck with it,and it is paying off.Been a long road,but one worth traveling.I should of done it sooner.But until we're ready and say that's it,we're not ready to give up our comforts and habits.It's hard,but can be done.I have to make other choices now.In stead of eating ice cream,I get pudding snacks and freeze them.Tastes good and a lot less fat and calories.I improvise healthier choices.So,we need to keep talking about your journey.It is helping us all.And as we lose more weight,it will inspire others to do the same.I know my way isn't for everybody,but sure has worked for me.I'm never hungry,lose weight,can't exercise,but burn my calories just the same but in other ways,like the hot peppers.I drink tons of water to flush the fat out.As that is what it does.And your way may not be for everybody,but is working for you great.I heard the best diet plan out there is Jenny Craig.May or may not be.But where they deliver meals,that's great,but their expensive,and they also tell you to exercise and drink water.So,for me,that's why I like mine.Same thing only way way cheaper.So,keep talking about it.We all are both concerned,and interested about your journey.And I know,some will opt to have it too maybe.Which would be great.Especially for the bigger ones,Both our ways work for us.And I know if nothing else,there is other plans on here that are working for others.Like the 17 day plan.In fact I may give that a go.I'm pretty focused and would stick with it.But for me,mine is portion controlled eating.So,my vote is keep talking,and speaking out,your comfort zone about it is growing,as is this thread.And it will continue to grow.We have a LOT of lurkers watching and wanting to come in and get on board too.So,lets help them out.
    Thank you and I will continue to write about my journey. I love this group and I think if there are newbies feel free to just start talking.

Missy
    Old 06-05-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by DanaNVa
    Do you really want to use the creamer? It's corn syrup. Milk protein shakes would be better.
    Oh,I didn't know that.I been using it for yrs and yrs as a milk replacment because we don't use enough and it always spoils.And I use it in my white gravy,cold cerial,cooking,and home made breads.Plus my shakes.I've never had a problem with it and I've never gained any weight from it,because there is no fat or cholesterol in it.Maybe I just don't use it enough.Because I haven't needed any in months and months.But still like to keep it on hand,because out here 15 mi from the store,we can have milk of sorts if somebody needs some on the spur of the moment.But I didn't know it was corn syrup.And the milk protein shakes,I haven't done any of the newer ones.But yrs ago,nothing worked for me.I tried them all.Was always hungry.Only thing that did work for me was spirutien.But haven't even used that in a couple of yrs now because I haven't needed it.And had I not started going down this month on the scales,I would of got it out,because I'm teetering like crazy.but now,don't need to.But it's not for every body,and everybody needs to find what works for them.I'm just putting out what works for me.I've lost 90 pounds doing it and it works for me.