Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! >
  • June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

• June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:09 AM

Has anyone tried the "Shrink Yourself" program?

I read the book and found it very good and I was considering signing up but I really want to get an honest review of it first.

It cost ~$129 for I think it's a 12 week program. It's supposed to help with the "why we eat when we are not hungry" more then what to eat.

My dh is almost under weight even though he eats what ever he wants. When I went on my big diet and lost ~50 pounds, he lost 15 without even trying because I was cooking completely different meals for us. He just starting walking at lunch.

I think this time I want to lose the weight permanantly. I want this to be a lifestyle change instead of a diet.
    Old 06-06-2011, 08:33 AM

Missy it is funny you asked that question, I was just making a mental list of things that are easier now that I have lost some weight the other day. I am trying to get myself back on track the way I was in past months. Just reminding yourself of the improvements and small victories you have made can really help keep you motivated.

I have only lost a little over 30 pounds so far but already I can tell I have more energy. Although I haven't really started alot of exercise yet I can tell I have more stamina than before. My feet hurt less, and ofcourse my clothes are so lose now. I remember worrying that when I washed my jeans and hung them to dry(no drying them in the dryer)I wouldn't be able to get them back on. I can bend over to put my shoes on without feeling like I can't breathe! My seat belt fits better too. I know there is a lot more but that is what comes to mind right now. But the best gift I got so far is on my birthday when I was drying my hair I looked into the mirror and realized this year is the first birthday in years that I can look in the mirror and say I have improved myself and am in better health than last year. That one was huge for me!:)

Well today is the first day I have the house to myself in a long time so I am off to work on decluttering this place again. It should be a nice, calm, productive day and easy to stay on track. YAY!
    Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 AM

Thanks everyone for the understanding shoulders! It's nice to have a place to go and know that others are totally understanding what you are going through!

My workout with Bill was a good kick in the pants this morning. I'm hoping it'll be just what I need to start dropping the weight! I'm going to talk to DH to see about signing up for mroe session over the summer to really see if I can't get something going!

I've also decided that I'm going to try, starting next week to make a meal plan for dinner for the whole week, trying to find dinners that can double for lunches on another day that week. Maybe that'll make it easier for meals in a pinch when the kids are hungry and yelling! :)
    Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 AM

Well - weighed in after a couple weeks of not doing so. Not too bad: didn't lose any weight, but didn't gain any either.

Time to get back on the horse & focus. :)
    Old 06-06-2011, 10:58 AM

Wow. It took awhile to catch up on posts. phew
    sounds like everyone is off to a good start for June!
    This weekend was tough for me, we had a few cook outs, and went fishing, mother in law came, we finally had SUN!
    It was fun and relaxing tho. . and thats what really matters most. :D
    my hubby has been working out of state, so its been easy to keep snacks out of the house, and make healthy dinners, (he complains when we have chicken and brocoli 5X in a row. .. but children dont DARE)
    My goal this week is to exercize more!
    Thanks for all the motivation everyone! keep it up! :-D
    Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by pinsninks
    Lynne: Did you mean to say the 3rd? cycle alternates cycle 1 and cycle 2 every other day.? Maybe I should check here and see what you ate, and then eat that.
    Pam, lemme try to clarify.

First 17 day "Accelerate" cycle - limitations on food choices, all you can eat proteins, 2 yogurts, 2 fats, 2 fruits from list eaten before 2pm, tons of veggies from list.

Second 17 day "Activate" cycle - adds 2 'natural' carbs eaten before 2pm BUT . .
    Dr. Mike calls it 'alternate fasting'. Day 2, and all other even numbered days of the Second cycle, you eat according to the First Cycle meals. On odd-numbered days, you add your natural carbs.

Third 17 day "Achieve" cycle - you eat according to this plan all 17 days. Food choices are expanded BUT protein portions are limited to the size of a kitchen sponge. You can also have your carbs after 2pm. Optional snacks are permitted. This is not recommended if you don't want your weight loss to slow down.

Fourth 17 day "Arrive" cycle - maintenance. You eat according to "Accelerate" food choices Mon - noon Friday. Then you can have your favorite foods - no more than 3 - over the course of the weekend. No buffets; pigfests, etc.

If you still have weight to lose after "Achieve", you begin with "Accelerate" again, going thru the cycles until you have reached your goal.

Exercise, lotsa water, and green tea daily on all cycles.

Does this help?
    Old 06-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by pinsninks
    Great pic of you, btw. Maybe sometime you can show us how you look AFTER a sweaty 5 mile run..:-) Charts are a great motivator (espec when you see the dots and lines going down, down, down. Not so much when they just go up and down straight across the paper. Not inspirational then, ask me know I know..!
    Pam, I don't run, I walk. Running killed my knees and I am trying to heal up and drop the extra weight before trying again.

We have been setting record highs for the past 2 weeks. It is just about unbearable to walk in 110 degree heat factor.

Thank you for your sweet words.

Aren't ya sorry you asked?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]207594[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-207588.jpe  
    Old 06-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Lynne, you've done very well. I have a good deal of admiration for anyone who can stay with a restrictive diet. I could at one point in my life, but have trouble now. Looking good!

I have a list of things I should be doing, but I worked too hard in the flower garden today and my 'get up and go' got up and went. I am just so thankful that I can do it. I did take the dogs for a long walk. They like going to the park so much. We ran into a couple of bikers and Moira didn't try to eat them. That's always a plus.

Today is the 3rd. How many days do I have to drop the 5 pounds, Xylie??
    Thanks Irish. I had an awakening this weekend. On cycle 3, I am allowed one 100 calorie snack. I found Fudgsicles with 100 calories. Only problem, and a biggie for me, I don't wanna stop with one. And it shows in my weight! I'm not having any trouble with the 6 12-packs of Dr Pepper in the garage, and I hope I can talk my kid into finishing them before I do.
    Old 06-06-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Xylie55
    Originally Posted by Leann
    And I don't know why my photos are so gigantic
    You look great.That diet is working great for you.I told my sister about it,and she is trying it too.Luv the chart.Ya,it goes to show,we need to stick to what works for us and not waver one bit.And never give up.It takes hard work to lose weight,there is no magic pill or anything.We all have to do it the old fashioned way.Eat less,and burn more calories.Bottom line.I'm real proud of you for sticking with it.We're about the same size now.So know how hard it is.But the pay off is rewarding isn't it!You look fabulas!
    You are just too sweet!
    Old 06-06-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by nancia
    leann- where can i find this 17 day diet in it's complete form? maybe that's what i need to really kick in to gear. tia, nanci
    It is a book. Heres a look...........(OH! I rhyme!)

http://www.amazon.com/17-Day-Diet-Do...7388650&sr=8-1

I found it at Barnes & Noble.