Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! >
  • June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

• June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:14 AM

yes i do believe that water makes the difference, it helps flushes everything out. And when you add lemon it is a natural diutric (sp?)

I am working on eating healthy and increasing my exercise and water intake.

I have heard you should drink 1/2 your weight in ounces of water. so being 205 in weight i sould drink about 100 ozs of water each day. A doctor told me that once.

im lucky to get in about 60 oz each day
    Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 AM

fabricnut-- i think i know what you are going through. i've cut back on everything, walked as much as possible, and i've lost .4 of a lb. not even a half! that's the equivalent of a small glass of water. but i can feel my body changing, little by little, and so is yours! some of us just aren't good at letting go, of anything evidently. i'm going to try spirotein and see if that gets things moving. i forgot, i got a hair cut yesterday so that probably accounts for the "weight loss". geesh. hang in there! i'm going to and it would be very lonely being the only one who is not losing (i'm smiling)--we WILL lose!! i have trouble eating meals during the day, stopping what i'm doing and actually sitting down to eat. sounds like you may have the same issue. i'm thinking of setting up lunch at breakfast and having it ready in the refrigerator, and setting an alarm to remind me to stop, eat and relax. i'll let you know if it works! of course, that means i'll have to have breakfast. it took 2 months for me to get used to ww and all the food! if we don't eat periodically our body does 2 things- shuts down as long as possible to save what there is (starvation mode) and then when we crave food/nourishment so strongly we lose control and eat anything in sight. some diets suggest more than 3 meals a day to maintain a balance. who knows, maybe we should try that, too! good luck and keep on plugging! we'll be successful, too!
    Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 AM

I like having some relatively healthy homemade muffins in my freezer. I can set out one large or two small the night before and then I only have to grab some lowfat cream cheese and breakfast is ready. I ran out yesterday, so today I had an orange. I just came in for a water break. I'm sweating off any I drink. My goal is to have one garden done before I come in. School gets out tomorrow and I have one grandson who loves to scrub the patio. I want to be ready for him by Thursday. His lazy brother stays in the car and watches.

I'm sure I drink more than 75 ounces of water a day. I'm at 36 now.

Nancia, Being new, you haven't heard my spiel about the difference between 'will' and 'am'. 'We will or I will lose weight' denotes it will happen in the future. 'I am or we are losing weight' denotes now. I'm sure you, like me, want it now. Go stand in front of the mirror (face only is fine) and say, "I AM losing weight".

For everyone, with MJ offline, I can give an assignment. Go the mirror, say, "I AM losing weight", then to make MJ happy, write about how you felt taking that step. Skip the 'We' for now. It has to be personalized for each of use.

I AM losing weight! Judy
    Old 06-07-2011, 10:45 AM

That's 'each of US, not use." I can't type to begin with and when I'm in on a rest break it gets worse.

I tried the mirror thing as it's been a while. I was surprised that I suddenly stood up straighter to make my midsection look like I am losing weight. I may try doing it at least once a day. The dining room mirror may be better than the bathroom because I can see more of my body. Have a enjoyable day, y'all. Judy
    Old 06-07-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Fabricnut
    I want to stick with this challenge but I'm not doing very well. I get too tired and too busy then food just calls my name. Seems like I have to start over every morning.

I understand completely. I have the same problem, when i get tired or busy and I can't stop eating.

I've had good luck with making meals ahead of time so when I get hungry and it's close to a meal time I can throw something in the microwave and go ahead and eat.

If I'm trying to figure out what to cook and what I want to eat I wind up grazing on a bunch of stuff and by the time I've finished cooking what ever, I've already had a enough calories for a meal or more, then I sit down and eat dinner.
    Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 AM

Hey y'all!

I am sorry I did not write in yesterday to tell you how my appointment with the surgeon went. I have been in a lot of pain and so I have been resting lots.

Anyway...I weighed in at +4 pounds but the surgeon said that he expects that because of the water retention common after weight loss surgery. He will see me in 3 weeks for my first fill on my band. He is thrilled with my progress so far and also sent me home with stronger pain meds because he saw that my pain is not being managed as well with the liquid lortab.

He wants me weighing in every two weeks instead of twice a week. He does not want to see me get into a mess emotionally by watching my weight fluctuate like it does normally. So, every two weeks it is!

Everything else is great and I am happy with how things are going.

I want to take a moment and thank you guys for all of the support and love you have shared over the last year. It has been a long journey and you have been my faithful companions along this trek. THANK YOU!

Missy
    Old 06-07-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Leann
    Missy, your willingness to share your pain takes massive courage. You are right - people are indescribably cruel. The real person is on the inside - more than what is on the surface.

Thank you for your bravery.
    Thank you Lynne! You really made my day with this comment. It is not easy to tell what I have been through but talking about it is such good therapy for me that I will continue to do in the hopes that maybe there is someone out there that is silently going through some of the same things.

If there is someone in that place please know that you are not alone and also that you are cared for and appreciated for what is on your inside and not on your outside.

Missy
    Old 06-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by quilthappygail
    HI all. You sound like a good start to a new week. Wind finally had a break in the wind so off the walk early this morning. Haven't weighed for a few days but will tomorrow. Hope I can show another pound. If not I'll just up the exercise. Went to Costco to pick up fruit and vit. and DH wanted to share pizza so I had one piece, but it was on the big side so a big salad only tonight.
    Hey Missy how are you doing? When you write about yourself you help so many others that don't feel like there is any help or hope for them.
    Leann good to hear from you. I don't think I have the will to stick with a program like the 17 day diet but it may be just what others need and since we all are different we need choices.
    Need to get off here and get supper for DH he does't like the way I need to eat so I try to fix him something he will enjoy every couple of days so he stays happy. He is losing and not even working at it. Just doesn't seem fair because I have to work so hard for every pound.
    Sorry didn't mean to whine.
    Gail
    Thank you Gail! I do hope that if there is someone out in the land of lurking that might be feeling alone and in need of encouragement I want them to know that I am here for them anytime!

Missy
    Old 06-07-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Xylie55
    Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    Missy - you'll be fine! :)

Another trick to make portions in restaurants smaller is to ask immediately for a take home box. When I get a plate, I cut everything in half. I immediately put half in the take home box, and eat all or some of what's on my plate.
    Jennifer, I eat from a salad plate at home. My stomach has shrunk so much I can't clean my plate.
    Sorry,double post
    In regards to plates and size of plates...this is what I did:

I bought a child's divided plate and used the largest third for veggies, one of the two smaller thirds for grains and the final third for protein. It really balances out our need for 2/3 of our diet to be plant based. I bought my plate at wal-mart for about 2 bucks I think. GREAT investment!

Missy
    Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    Originally Posted by Xylie55
    Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    Missy - you'll be fine! :)

Another trick to make portions in restaurants smaller is to ask immediately for a take home box. When I get a plate, I cut everything in half. I immediately put half in the take home box, and eat all or some of what's on my plate.
    Jennifer, I eat from a salad plate at home. My stomach has shrunk so much I can't clean my plate.
    Sorry,double post
    In regards to plates and size of plates...this is what I did:

I bought a child's divided plate and used the largest third for veggies, one of the two smaller thirds for grains and the final third for protein. It really balances out our need for 2/3 of our diet to be plant based. I bought my plate at wal-mart for about 2 bucks I think. GREAT investment!

Missy
    oh i like that idea of a childs divided plate, i will look for one next time i go.