Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! >
  • June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

• June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Charity, very interesting quilts. I have ADD, too, as do two of my children and several of my grandchildren. I swear it's worse now that my body can't keep up with my mind.

Xylie, With that much water, did you take in enough salt? Being salt deprived will make me weak and sicky feeling. I thought you had decided 150 was a reasonable goal. If you have heavier bones than I do, that's a good goal for our height. BTW, you want to build muscle. It burns more calories and protects bones from injury, etc. I'd love to turn the fat in my body to muscle. I was one of those with a 21 inch waistline. Made finding clothes very interesting as I was normal sized above and below the waist. I went into the hospital to have my third child with a 26 inch waist. Funny the things we remember.

I went back to my TV exercise program yesterday. I love it, though I wish it each section were longer. It's a very quick 30 minutes. The Senior center offers Tai Chi and chair yoga, but that means getting up in the morning and getting myself over there. I have a script for physical therapy, but my copay is $30 a session, so that's a problem. I need to pay my house insurance before I worry about that.

My weight is so stuck. I keep forgetting to try on my smallest pants to see how many inches I have to go. BTW, I think a 12-14 is a very reasonable size - a normal 12 or 14 from Penney's, not a fancy designer one that would be an 18 or 20 in the real world. I don't what that translates into men's jeans sizes. They don't work for me. If you're an apple, I'm a pear. I do think these rocker shoes have slimmed my backside somewhat. That's not why I wear them. My foot couldn't bend when the nerve damage was bad and these babies don't bend.

Looks like I've rambled enough for now. Y'all have a good day. Like Rita's mom said, "Eat small and healthy."

I AM losing weight - the scales just don't know it. Judy
    A 26 inch waste.Lucky you.I don't think I'll ever be that.But a 32 is duable for me,as I look good in them when I can get my butt back into them.Just now at 38.Better than 53 where I was.Ya,I think I'm big boned.Maybe not.And being solid,I can carry extra weight and get away with it.No body would ever guess I weighed as much as I did.I put on my 18/20 pants today,and their now too big.So must be a 16/18 now.Well,I got lots of big nice bras,and panties that fall off now.In fact I have to empty all my drawers out and get smaller underware that fits me better.And my fingers,I use to wear a 8,and now I have a size 6 1/2 gold wedding band on.And my feet,Wore a 9,now wear 8.Everything shrinks.My boobs are disapearing tho.Thank god I bought some Rhonda Sheer bras that shrink with me and still fit good.Ya,mine is in the belly.Like now,I have thin legs and arms,lost my double chin way back.Was glad to see that go.And am lucky my skin isn't sagging.Guess because I'm solid and do have muscles.I can't exercise either,but I've always been strong and worked hard jobs.Worked cannery's,cooking,waitressing,washing dishes,worked in the fields riding spud diggers from daylight to sundown 18 hrs a day throwing dirt clauds off the belt.Of course didn't know they were 1 to 2 ft across when I signed up.Thought,ya,I can toss the clauds off,no problem.NOT! Then when the trucks weren't there,I got off the digger and threw potatoes in the hopper while the tractor was moving.And had to keep up.18 hrs a day.Looked like a racoon at night when I got home,I was dirt head to toe.I was probably 150 pounds then,and age 24 yrs old.That was a fun job.LOL!Then thought I'd hoe onions.Well,my god,those rows were I swear a mile long.And in the sun all day.Ya,my friend lasted 1 day.She was bitchy for 3 days afterwards sore from the work.I did 3 days and found a job cooking at the Kings Table.At least I was in doors.So,have worked hard jobs.No pencil pushing for me.Back then,if we didn't work,we didn't eat.Anyway,that's why I'm all banged up and shot now.Had disabilities to begin with,so all that hard work on top of it finished me.
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:37 AM

Good morning all!

Xylie55 - Glad to hear you're feeling better. Be careful out in that heat and humidity. I know what you mean about hard work, I used to farm, milk cows, raise tobbaco & hay. This was back in the day when they didn't have fancy machines to do all the work. Everything was by hand.

Nancia - write down an eating plan for yourself and STICK TO IT! I've been there I know what it's like. I'm better now - I eat five tiny meals a day but not necessarily all the nutrients I should be eating. My goal is to get down to 105 but my therapist thinks that might be to low so I guess I'll just wait and see. I started out at 233 5 years ago.I'm only 4'11" and have fairly small bones so to carry the 233 was a real detriment to my health.

I did water aerobics yesterday for an hour and stayed under my calorie limit. I even ate some fairly healthy food. I was going to go swimming this a.m. but I got up to late so I'll go at noon if I get everything done in time. Thursday is my busy day. I do have a walk sceduled though so even if I don't go swimming I will have walked.

Hope everybody has a nice day! I AM LOSING IT!!!!
    Old 06-16-2011, 04:39 AM

Jeanne, thank you for my laugh for the day. You are losing what??? When I say I'm losing IT, it's my mind or my temper. I prefer to say "I AM losing weight."

I can't imagine doing the work like either of you did. With a defective heart, I used to pass out in the sun, so I was a hothouse flower. I didn't go to work until I was 38 years old. The woman at the Social Security office was mad at me for not working prior to that. Did she not think raising 5 children wasn't enough? I walked out and drove 50 miles to get a card from someone polite.

I do think we have to be realistic about our goal weights. I like the formula (I wish I could remember where I read it - it may have come from the nurse who had to pronounce me obese at 170 pounds when we did a work based wellness program at school) that allows 5 pounds for every decade past 25 after a base of 100 + 5 pounds for every inch over 5 foot. With Xylie as an example 100 + 25 (5"5") + 15 (3 decades) = 140. Add a few for her body type and you've got 145-150. An attainable goal. I sit here with these 5 3/4 inch wrist and small bones under the fat, so I have to subtract a few pounds from the formula. I was 5'8" and am now 5'5" due to the problems with my spine, so that's a big minus. I've been aiming for 138, but may settle for 145 if my smallest pants fit - they aren't that small.

I need to get moving if I'm going to the quilt quild. I'll try it one more time. See ya later.

I AM losing weight. Judy
    Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 AM

I think one of the biggest things we as women do that hurt our weight loss is to ignore the benefits of resistance/ strength training. This is the way it was explained to me, Cardio is like your central heating unit, burning calories, and muscles are the actual heater. The more muscle you have the bigger your heater is so the more calories you can burn during cardio.

I'd much rather be at a platue due to the build up of muscle then becuase I'm just maintaining. I've been looking into strength training and the building of muscle. Unless you devote your whole day to strength training you'll never look like those weight lifting women. HOWEVER you will be able to build a slim dancers type build. Which is what I'm after.

I'll also say this about strength training. I ALWAYS loose more weight per week/month when I've been consistant with my training. Even if I don't increase reps or weight, just staying at the same level of training I'll always loose more when I've done it then when I've done just cardio alone. I've also noticed that I haven't really had any flab associated with my 10 lb weight loss since beginning my journey I also attribute this to the slow decrease in weight as well as the strength training that gives my body something to replace the fat with slowly over time!

I hope this helps some of you out there to think more about doing resistance training, even if it's just using the weight of your own body! I wouldn't be as far today with out it!
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by pnptrapp
    I think one of the biggest things we as women do that hurt our weight loss is to ignore the benefits of resistance/ strength training. This is the way it was explained to me, Cardio is like your central heating unit, burning calories, and muscles are the actual heater. The more muscle you have the bigger your heater is so the more calories you can burn during cardio.

I'd much rather be at a platue due to the build up of muscle then becuase I'm just maintaining. I've been looking into strength training and the building of muscle. Unless you devote your whole day to strength training you'll never look like those weight lifting women. HOWEVER you will be able to build a slim dancers type build. Which is what I'm after.

I'll also say this about strength training. I ALWAYS loose more weight per week/month when I've been consistant with my training. Even if I don't increase reps or weight, just staying at the same level of training I'll always loose more when I've done it then when I've done just cardio alone. I've also noticed that I haven't really had any flab associated with my 10 lb weight loss since beginning my journey I also attribute this to the slow decrease in weight as well as the strength training that gives my body something to replace the fat with slowly over time!

I hope this helps some of you out there to think more about doing resistance training, even if it's just using the weight of your own body! I wouldn't be as far today with out it!
    I agree.I too think if it comes off slow,we won't have loose skin.Even those on the biggest loser when they lose,their not flabby,because they do all those exercises and core strength training.They look good too.All tho,when we get big,and the skin stretches too acomidate the growth,like our step daughter at 500 pounds,that skin is going to be baggy after wards,and will have to be trimmed off.Which then,will tighten you up even more.
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:33 AM

Jeanne, thank you for my laugh for the day. You are losing what??? When I say I'm losing IT, it's my mind or my temper. I prefer to say "I AM losing weight."

I can't imagine doing the work like either of you did. With a defective heart, I used to pass out in the sun, so I was a hothouse flower. I didn't go to work until I was 38 years old. The woman at the Social Security office was mad at me for not working prior to that. Did she not think raising 5 children wasn't enough? I walked out and drove 50 miles to get a card from someone polite.

I do think we have to be realistic about our goal weights. I like the formula (I wish I could remember where I read it - it may have come from the nurse who had to pronounce me obese at 170 pounds when we did a work based wellness program at school) that allows 5 pounds for every decade past 25 after a base of 100 + 5 pounds for every inch over 5 foot. With Xylie as an example 100 + 25 (5"5") + 15 (3 decades) = 140. Add a few for her body type and you've got 145-150. An attainable goal. I sit here with these 5 3/4 inch wrist and small bones under the fat, so I have to subtract a few pounds from the formula. I was 5'8" and am now 5'5" due to the problems with my spine, so that's a big minus. I've been aiming for 138, but may settle for 145 if my smallest pants fit - they aren't that small.

I need to get moving if I'm going to the quilt quild. I'll try it one more time. See ya later.

I AM losing weight. Judy
    I don't know where those soc people get an attitude like that.I told one once,"you know what?You work for me.My taxes pay your salary.You are a public servant.Now get off your hi horse and do your job." She looked at me,batted her eyes a couple times,and then did her job.It's none of her business weather you worked or not.A lot of women are stay at home moms,and dads nowdays.She just needed to do her job and get you going.They {some of them} act like it's coming out of their pocket.It's not.Our taxes we pay,pay for it.I know we're taxed to death.Tax on cars we own,tax on property we own,tax on our boat in Kansas,it's crazy the amount of taxes we have to pay.And we're insuranced to death,in fact this month,I decided to let our 2 pickups go on insurance and tags,as we just can't afford them,esp in Ca.And they haven't been drove in 6 yrs,as we don't use them even.They probably don't even run now.We should sell them.So,anyway,I'm glad you went and got a polite person to take care of you.If that ever happends to any of you,tell them what I did.They work for YOU!And YOU pay their salaries!They are PUBLIC servants.They work for US!Same with any other GOVERNMENT agencies.They work for US! WE pay their salaries!And I don't care if you never earned a penny,you still pay taxes on everything you buy,even a stick of gum.
    Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 AM

I could have done that, but it was more fun to walk out on her and go to TC. There's more shopping available in the bigger city. Plus, I wrote a letter to her supervisor. I'm sure she was called on the carpet by someone with more authority than me.

Back from the quilt guild. I guess I joined. They gave me a job at the annual show in Sept. Darned if I'm going to fill out paperwork and pay dues for this year when September is renewal time.

I ate too much salad at lunch so I feel yicky. If I go sort pretty fabrics and arrange my new sewing area, I'll feel better, so I'll check in later.

pnptrapp, I like working with exercise bands - except when an old one breaks during use, of course. One of my dogs just ate my new one, but at least there were three in the box. Do I want to go lighter or heavier? I was using the mid one. Heavier, I guess.

I AM losing weight. J
    Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 AM

I could have done that, but it was more fun to walk out on her and go to TC. There's more shopping available in the bigger city. Plus, I wrote a letter to her supervisor. I'm sure she was called on the carpet by someone with more authority than me.

Back from the quilt guild. I guess I joined. They gave me a job at the annual show in Sept. Darned if I'm going to fill out paperwork and pay dues for this year when September is renewal time.

I ate too much salad at lunch so I feel yicky. If I go sort pretty fabrics and arrange my new sewing area, I'll feel better, so I'll check in later.

pnptrapp, I like working with exercise bands - except when an old one breaks during use, of course. One of my dogs just ate my new one, but at least there were three in the box. Do I want to go lighter or heavier? I was using the mid one. Heavier, I guess.

I AM losing weight. J
    I'm glad you wrote a letter.I've live in small towns seems like most my life.Or out in the boonies somewhere,So,know how it is to get to go shop at a bigger town.It is more fun,and we make a day of it.I'm glad Yuma,has grown the last 10 yrs,we now have lots of stores we never could shop at before.We need a costco's tho,real bad.I know we have sams club,but I don't like it.I can buy what we use cheaper at other stores.And the problem I have is Yuma is the nearest town to us for dr.'s and shopping,but the nearest bigger town in California is El Centro and is 60 miles away.So most medicare plans won't cover me unless I go to El Centro,and thats a full days drive and I just can't do it.So,I've elected to go straight original medicare.and I can go anywhere and not be out of network.
    Old 06-16-2011, 12:08 PM

I don't like saying I'm losing weight. I find things I lose. :) I'm getting rid of it.
    Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 PM

weighed this morning after being on steroids for a week, no weight loss but good news is no weight gain. I drank plenty of water so I believe that helped with not gaining.

I also have not been having any sodas, Dr Pepper is my weakness. Even at work drank water with lemon or limes. Now to keep dropping the weight.

Keep up all the good work ladies,

Cindy