Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! >
  • June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

• June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:46 PM

last night i went to wm, we call it "that place". my husband totally hates it. i bought all sorts of frozen meals, great tastes to tempt me. i had ev ery intention to eat cereal for breakfast, but i got started working on a baby quilt and the next thing i knew it was 4:30. so i made shrimp diavolo. very good. i will stay up to slide a third meal in. my husband comes home tonight so we will have steak and veggies with strawberries for dessert. it's really tough, he's trying to gain weight. i have plenty for him, but i think he wants his own. there should be a recycling place for lost weight! jennifer, i rarely find what i lose! there's a huge black hole that sucks my stuff in, but it won't take fat! bummer!!
    a
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Wow, Nanci, that's scary. I have gone three weeks without food, but it was a controlled juice fast. To eat nothing at all is so unhealthy on so many fronts, but I think you probably know that. What are you doing to change? My saving grace is that I like food too much. My problem comes with not eating regular meals, but I eat enough in a 24 hour period.

What are you going to eat tomorrow? And when? I am going to have oatmeal for breakfast, order a chef salad when at the quilt guild for lunch and then for dinner? - dinner is never a problem for me. It's the first two. Eating a decent size amount of food regularly is scary when you want to lose weight. The two don't sound like they don't go together.

I hope you find a way to help yourself. Judy
    I hear you guys and I have been there on not getting enough calories in my day. Right now I battle two things. One is that too many liquid calories get through my lap band now and also getting enough protein. Because I have had the surgery I have to be religious about the protein. I must get 60-70 grams a day. So, I pretty much leave out everything that is not a veggie or protein. I cannot eat breakfast cold cereal because I cannot eat and drink at the same time. No drinking 30 mins before or after a meal. Also, no rice, white pasta or bread. Well, I should say, I can have bread but it must be toasted. The rice and pasta swell in my pouch and the bread gums up my pouch. So those are a no go. But, when I go out to eat or when we are at home, I eat protein and some veggies. I am able to comfortably eat about 3/4 to 1 cup of food per meal. Then I am literally not hungry for many hours. Yesterday I did not have breakfast but I had a late lunch at about 3 and did not eat again until 1 pm today. I was not even hungry at that time but I knew I needed to eat.

I cannot say right now exactly how much I have lost in pounds but I am now wearing a 4x in pants and started out my whole journey wearing a 7x. BIG difference. Cathie says that since she saw me last (right after my surgery) I have lost lots of inches. THAT is good news to my ears!

Anyway...I am going to read on more and respond more. You guys are so awesome!! Keep on posting!!

Missy
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Xylie55
    Originally Posted by irishrose
    Charity, very interesting quilts. I have ADD, too, as do two of my children and several of my grandchildren. I swear it's worse now that my body can't keep up with my mind.

Xylie, With that much water, did you take in enough salt? Being salt deprived will make me weak and sicky feeling. I thought you had decided 150 was a reasonable goal. If you have heavier bones than I do, that's a good goal for our height. BTW, you want to build muscle. It burns more calories and protects bones from injury, etc. I'd love to turn the fat in my body to muscle. I was one of those with a 21 inch waistline. Made finding clothes very interesting as I was normal sized above and below the waist. I went into the hospital to have my third child with a 26 inch waist. Funny the things we remember.

I went back to my TV exercise program yesterday. I love it, though I wish it each section were longer. It's a very quick 30 minutes. The Senior center offers Tai Chi and chair yoga, but that means getting up in the morning and getting myself over there. I have a script for physical therapy, but my copay is $30 a session, so that's a problem. I need to pay my house insurance before I worry about that.

My weight is so stuck. I keep forgetting to try on my smallest pants to see how many inches I have to go. BTW, I think a 12-14 is a very reasonable size - a normal 12 or 14 from Penney's, not a fancy designer one that would be an 18 or 20 in the real world. I don't what that translates into men's jeans sizes. They don't work for me. If you're an apple, I'm a pear. I do think these rocker shoes have slimmed my backside somewhat. That's not why I wear them. My foot couldn't bend when the nerve damage was bad and these babies don't bend.

Looks like I've rambled enough for now. Y'all have a good day. Like Rita's mom said, "Eat small and healthy."

I AM losing weight - the scales just don't know it. Judy
    A 26 inch waste.Lucky you.I don't think I'll ever be that.But a 32 is duable for me,as I look good in them when I can get my butt back into them.Just now at 38.Better than 53 where I was.Ya,I think I'm big boned.Maybe not.And being solid,I can carry extra weight and get away with it.No body would ever guess I weighed as much as I did.I put on my 18/20 pants today,and their now too big.So must be a 16/18 now.Well,I got lots of big nice bras,and panties that fall off now.In fact I have to empty all my drawers out and get smaller underware that fits me better.And my fingers,I use to wear a 8,and now I have a size 6 1/2 gold wedding band on.And my feet,Wore a 9,now wear 8.Everything shrinks.My boobs are disapearing tho.Thank god I bought some Rhonda Sheer bras that shrink with me and still fit good.Ya,mine is in the belly.Like now,I have thin legs and arms,lost my double chin way back.Was glad to see that go.And am lucky my skin isn't sagging.Guess because I'm solid and do have muscles.I can't exercise either,but I've always been strong and worked hard jobs.Worked cannery's,cooking,waitressing,washing dishes,worked in the fields riding spud diggers from daylight to sundown 18 hrs a day throwing dirt clauds off the belt.Of course didn't know they were 1 to 2 ft across when I signed up.Thought,ya,I can toss the clauds off,no problem.NOT! Then when the trucks weren't there,I got off the digger and threw potatoes in the hopper while the tractor was moving.And had to keep up.18 hrs a day.Looked like a racoon at night when I got home,I was dirt head to toe.I was probably 150 pounds then,and age 24 yrs old.That was a fun job.LOL!Then thought I'd hoe onions.Well,my god,those rows were I swear a mile long.And in the sun all day.Ya,my friend lasted 1 day.She was bitchy for 3 days afterwards sore from the work.I did 3 days and found a job cooking at the Kings Table.At least I was in doors.So,have worked hard jobs.No pencil pushing for me.Back then,if we didn't work,we didn't eat.Anyway,that's why I'm all banged up and shot now.Had disabilities to begin with,so all that hard work on top of it finished me.
    Oh Bonita! I WISH my boobs would shrink!! I am down from a 50GG to a 44GG. I had to buy new bras right after surgery because the underwire hits right on my big incision. UGH. So, I bought me two new ones that are soft cup so they feel better but I wish I had gone down one more chest size when I ordered them. Oh well. LOL!

Missy
    Old 06-16-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by createfourpaws
    weighed this morning after being on steroids for a week, no weight loss but good news is no weight gain. I drank plenty of water so I believe that helped with not gaining.

I also have not been having any sodas, Dr Pepper is my weakness. Even at work drank water with lemon or limes. Now to keep dropping the weight.

Keep up all the good work ladies,

Cindy
    Oh I tell you Cindy that since my surgery I cannot tolerate carbonated drinks at all. WOOHOO!! So, I drink 5 calorie diet lemonade or water. I think that in the past I could consume over a 1000 calories a day in soda. Amazing to me that I now cannot even sip it! Yay for tiny pouches!!

LOL

Missy
    Old 06-16-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    weighed this morning after being on steroids for a week, no weight loss but good news is no weight gain. I drank plenty of water so I believe that helped with not gaining.

I also have not been having any sodas, Dr Pepper is my weakness. Even at work drank water with lemon or limes. Now to keep dropping the weight.

Cindy
    Oh I tell you Cindy that since my surgery I cannot tolerate carbonated drinks at all. WOOHOO!! So, I drink 5 calorie diet lemonade or water. I think that in the past I could consume over a 1000 calories a day in soda. Amazing to me that I now cannot even sip it! Yay for tiny pouches!!

LOL

Missy
    I am glad to be off the sodas, i was tempted the other day at work but didnt give in to the soda or the candy bar. I now make a trail mix that has nuts, blueberries and chocolate chips that meets my desire for chocolate. I am so ready for the rest of my weight to come off. I want to be able to get completely off insulin. Once it is gone I am going to keep it off

I am happy for you Missy............ glad to see you got the FQ I sent.

Cindy
    Old 06-16-2011, 04:12 PM

I am still staying steady, but tonight, I used Missy's idea of a child's divided plate. It did help me with portion control. I got two of them for $5 at Tuesday Morning. A pink one and a purple one.

Missy, you will be in these 22s very soon! So proud of you girl!

I'm sorry I've been inconsistent with my writing. This morning was Girls Day for Quilting, so Lori (GiGix12) picked me up and we went to the LQS and to lunch. I had a southwest cobb salad for lunch and couldn't finish it. Woo! Hoo!

Hopefully, I'll be back on track tomorrow.
    Old 06-16-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl

Cindy

LOL

Missy
    I am glad to be off the sodas, i was tempted the other day at work but didnt give in to the soda or the candy bar. I now make a trail mix that has nuts, blueberries and chocolate chips that meets my desire for chocolate. I am so ready for the rest of my weight to come off. I want to be able to get completely off insulin. Once it is gone I am going to keep it off

I am happy for you Missy............ glad to see you got the FQ I sent.

Cindy
    Thank you thank you!! I so love all the FQs I have received!!

Missy
    Old 06-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    I am still staying steady, but tonight, I used Missy's idea of a child's divided plate. It did help me with portion control. I got two of them for $5 at Tuesday Morning. A pink one and a purple one.

Missy, you will be in these 22s very soon! So proud of you girl!

I'm sorry I've been inconsistent with my writing. This morning was Girls Day for Quilting, so Lori (GiGix12) picked me up and we went to the LQS and to lunch. I had a southwest cobb salad for lunch and couldn't finish it. Woo! Hoo!

Hopefully, I'll be back on track tomorrow.
    I am so glad you tried that plate idea! It really works!!

Oh to be in a 22?!?! That will be a sweet sweet day!!

Missy
    Old 06-16-2011, 04:37 PM

It will be for me, too. It had been 2 or 3 years since I could wear a stretched 24. Now to fit in ANY 24 feels sooooo gooood.

I have bought some 22-24 NON stretch tops and I can wear them, another big deal. I still feel more comfortable in the 26-28 tops, I like them sloppy.
    Old 06-16-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    It will be for me, too. It had been 2 or 3 years since I could wear a stretched 24. Now to fit in ANY 24 feels sooooo gooood.

I have bought some 22-24 NON stretch tops and I can wear them, another big deal. I still feel more comfortable in the 26-28 tops, I like them sloppy.
    Oh how I understand! I still wear my 6x tops and 5x tops cause they feel so good loose but I tried on a 3x top today and Cathie said I looked hot in it! LOL!!! That totally cracked me up!

Missy