Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Just sent son away to college  :( >
  • Just sent son away to college :(

• Just sent son away to college :(

Old 08-21-2011, 01:23 PM

By the time my sons left home they weren't home long enough each day for me to realize too much of a difference! With all of their activities and friends, they were always gone anyway!

Look at it as an opportunity to run around the house in the nude!! ;) :lol: (I'm trying for a smile out of you!!)

In reality, allow yourself time to grieve the passing of your son's childhood...know that you taught him independance in spite of his health issues, and also know that if, for you, "tomorrow never comes" that he will be able to carry on...as is the natural order of things! So many times I see adult children that couldn't survive on their own if their lives depended on it. I see "children" that are 30-40-50 years old that are dependant on their parents for support, because they were never made to "go it alone".

Be proud Mama...you've done a GOOD job, and this is a GOOD thing! :)
    Old 08-21-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by momcpo
    Don't worry Momma, he's missing you just as much, he just won't say it out loud.
    This is so true, but he can't show how much he's missing you by crying. For him it was easier to send you on your way because he was probably afraid that if you started crying in front of him that he might want to join right in. At least now that you're home you can let go and cry and let it out. It does get better with time. My throat hurts just remembering the day I took my youngest to college and he graduated in May. Now we are truly an empty nest home. You do find things to keep busy and enjoy your free time, but it's a hard transition at first.
    Old 08-21-2011, 01:40 PM
    Power Poster

It will ease up (((((hugs)))))) and in the meantime, eat chocolate!
    Old 08-21-2011, 01:46 PM

I had twin sons who left for college on the same day. Since they were going to the same school I had a sense of security that at least they had each other. I had raised them by myself since they were seven, and I thought I'd be doing the happy dance, but quite the contrary! I had a terrible time adjusting to their being gone. It took me some time, but I stayed busy and that helped very much. My heart goes out to you and I hope you adjust very soon. I read somewhere that "we prepare them for leaving, but we don't always prepare ourselves for their leaving." That was very true in my case. I'll be thinking about you.
    Old 08-21-2011, 01:47 PM

Hugs from a mom who has been there and done that. It is sad and strange but you will find things to do to keep you sane. Meanwhile I agree with Lacelady about the eat chocolate part. Also, make him another quilt.
    Old 08-21-2011, 02:11 PM
    Power Poster

Very normal emotions. They will pass soon enough and you will have a new normal.
    Old 08-21-2011, 02:59 PM

Can't really relate to being a mom and sending them off to college since mine attended locally. However sending one off to the service is also an emotional time. Lots of crying done there. Our oldest grandson left today for college and although he didn't live with us we are going to miss him terribly but like you we will see him on breaks and he is close enough that we could drive there for the day. I imagine his mom is doing what you are right now-crying. She's been crying all summer he said. It will get better, trust me.
    Old 08-21-2011, 03:05 PM

> to you! I remember leaving my son at college like it was just yesterday. I cried all the way home (3 1/2 hour drive) and the next couple of days, I cried and cried and cried. It is perfectly ok for you to do that. Then, I picked up my cell phone and called him (we had said we were only going to talk a couple times a week). He was fine...chatty...telling me about new people he had met..about his classes, etc. and it just started being ok. Since then, we have also taken our 2 daughters to college...our son graduated in 2006...a daughter graduated this past spring...and our youngest is now a senior. Life goes on. We are so proud of our children!

Yes, the house is quiet. Yes, sometimes DH really gets on my nerves. But...I am now starting to have more time for me. You will survive...it really will be ok!
    Old 08-21-2011, 03:22 PM

We are suppose to rear our children to be strong, independent and have their own wings to fly. Sounds like you did a terrific job..Congrats. It will get better. The first couple of days are the worse.

Bake cookies to mail him. Good luck with your Mom!!
    Old 08-21-2011, 03:24 PM

Oops double