Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Just sent son away to college  :( >
  • Just sent son away to college :(

• Just sent son away to college :(

Old 08-21-2011, 03:29 PM
    Cyn

Time helps :) I think you should live in the moment now and then tomorrow you will move on and do something for yourself. I went thru a similar situation when my husband left for Iraq for a year, my oldest went back to college and my baby left for her first year. This was such a quiet house. I was lost for the first little bit, then slowly I began to enjoy myself. I hope you do too.
    Old 08-21-2011, 03:35 PM

Aww, I hear ya. I have an only son too. Yours sounds like an awesome kid. It's lonely for awhile when they leave but you'll be up and about in no time.

Quilting in the middle of the night might just be the thing.
    Old 08-21-2011, 03:55 PM

Hang in there... this is not a particularly happy time... but it does get better... Keep in touch with him... pray... stay busy...

If the blueness doesn't change significantly in a few weeks, please, please, please get professional help? A visit to your doctor would definitely be in order. You have a lot to think about, it sounds like, with a lot of various responsibilities... so what you are feeling is very normal... please remember that?

Many of us have been where you are...

Keep in touch with us too??
    Old 08-21-2011, 05:38 PM

YOU did a great job, now its' time for him to fly. Gather up your fabrics and start sewing. It is wonderful to know they can be on their own. My daughter spent 14 months in Japan, I didn't think I'd survive, she loved it, is back now but my baby is a lawyer in NY and I miss him, I know he loves it there but I only see him once a year. That is what being mom is all about
    Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 PM

I bought a bag of mini Mounds bars and ate everyone of them before I got home. Then I adopted two more children.
    Old 08-21-2011, 05:49 PM

Could you ask a good friend to stay overnight or even just visit and keep you company? Or maybe you could visit the friend?

It may take time before you're used to him being away, but even just getting some sleep should make things look better once you wake up.

I was very glad to read that your son overcame whatever horrible diagnosis he had enough to continue on in school. I wish him all the best for happiness and success in whatever path he pursues.
    Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 PM

Be happy for him that he made it to college. I do know how you feel but beleive me you are fortunate! Of my 2 kids,Son one went to war, and son 2 abuses the bottle to the point we rarely talk :( So pick up your chin and do a happy dance! You are blessed.

Oh and pets help if you like them and are alowed to have them. Start a quilt for him that may help keep you busy as well!
    Old 08-21-2011, 08:50 PM
    Power Poster

It will take a little while, but you will get used to him being gone (((HUGS)))
    In the mean time, try and stay busy and focus on the positive. You did a wonderful job in getting him to where he is today :D:D:D
    Old 08-22-2011, 02:49 AM

Well Said! (and a good chuckle)

Your child is just going through the next milestone of his lifes journey! be proud! get busy!

Originally Posted by Charlee
    By the time my sons left home they weren't home long enough each day for me to realize too much of a difference! With all of their activities and friends, they were always gone anyway!

Look at it as an opportunity to run around the house in the nude!! ;) :lol: (I'm trying for a smile out of you!!)

In reality, allow yourself time to grieve the passing of your son's childhood...know that you taught him independance in spite of his health issues, and also know that if, for you, "tomorrow never comes" that he will be able to carry on...as is the natural order of things! So many times I see adult children that couldn't survive on their own if their lives depended on it. I see "children" that are 30-40-50 years old that are dependant on their parents for support, because they were never made to "go it alone".

Be proud Mama...you've done a GOOD job, and this is a GOOD thing! :)
    Old 08-22-2011, 03:14 AM

I agree with the girls-force yourself at first-time will help-