Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Just sent son away to college  :( >
  • Just sent son away to college :(

• Just sent son away to college :(

Old 08-22-2011, 03:32 AM

Empty nesting isn't a bad thing! You will come to enjoy aforementioned FREEDOM, then they come home for a visit, & you'll remember the old days, and wish they would go back sooner than planned! Get up dust your britches, take a good deep breath, and get yourself busy! Time will pass, and remember It's ALL GOOD!
    Mary Jo
    Old 08-22-2011, 03:34 AM

When my middle daughter went to U of Washington (we lived in Colorado at the time), I cried every time I walked by her room. It will take you some time, but go ahead and cry - it's natural to miss your baby after all you've been through together. Just be joyous for his big step in life.
    Thank goodness for email!!

You and your mom should go grab a coffee somewhere and build back your relationship. That first step is hard, but they all are. You'll be glad you did.
    Old 08-22-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by clynns
    You should be so proud of yourself. If your child, male or female feels secure enough to move out of the house then that means that you've taught them what they need to survive! It is wonderful. He will always need you and love you. Think of the new experiences that he will have. His first girlfriend at school and maybe down the road, grandchildren. Oh my, this is a GOOD THING. I always told everyone that I wasn't sad that my kids moved. Because it means that I gave them enough courage, adventure and security to tackle the world. Pat yourself on the back. You did GREAT!
    My sentiments exactly - I remember when Gary moved out. When he said he was going (he was going to college and moved into a condo with his highschool wrestling buddy) to move out, I knew we did good with him, because he had become a man and was ready to take on his own responsiblities and be accountable for his actions. He's 46 now, good job, good family and he still calls and asks me how to spell this or that! See, we are still here for them. Edie
    Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 AM

To combat my empty nest syndrome, I got a puppy! That helped a lot!
    Old 08-22-2011, 05:21 AM

congratulations on the progress of your son! The only thing that helped me get thru these situations was time. I was going thru this quite a bit a few years ago when there was constant back and forthing going on. Tore me up. I have another one coming up in October, and I sure am hoping it will go smoother than in the past.
    Old 08-22-2011, 05:21 AM

congratulations on the progress of your son! The only thing that helped me get thru these situations was time. I was going thru this quite a bit a few years ago when there was constant back and forthing going on. Tore me up. I have another one coming up in October, and I sure am hoping it will go smoother than in the past.
    Old 08-22-2011, 05:25 AM

You're supposed to miss him, it says so on your job description. It also says give him wings and let him go. Tough job, isn't it?

(If you miss your son, perhaps your mother misses you.)
    Old 08-22-2011, 05:30 AM

This too will pass. Relax and enjoy the peace and quiet. In a few years you will have grandchildren to liven up the place and the circle will start all over again. Then they too will grow up and move away. My granddaughter will be out on her own in one year. I am dreading that more than when my own children fledged their wings. Ann in TN
    Old 08-22-2011, 05:44 AM

My two oldest children have left home for their own apartment about 50 miles from my home. I miss them of course, but I'm also glad that they are able to hold jobs and take care of themselves. I still have two children at home so that helps some. It also helps that they come home from time to time. My oldest son is sleeping in his old room with his younger brother right now because he had to work third shift last night. He works in the town where I live. I know how you feel. My second son went to school in WI for a couple of years and I always felt like a light had gone out in my house while he was gone.Now he lives and works just 50 miles away (as opposed to about 1200 miles). I don't know how long he will be living this close. He is a manager trainee and the company will send him elsewhere when he is finished with the training. He is engaged to be married in May. I am enjoying the time I have with him and his fiance now. AS Lacelady said "It will ease up and eat chocolate." Chocolate helps, quilting helps and most of all good friends help. You have friends here. I hope you have a really great day today! Sending hugs and prayers!
    Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
    To combat my empty nest syndrome, I got a puppy! That helped a lot!
    Good for you! I love puppies!