Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Just sent son away to college  :( >
  • Just sent son away to college :(

• Just sent son away to college :(

Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 AM

Allow yourself to be sad. It will get better as you reinvent yourself, but it takes time. And one day, he'll bring home a sweet girl and you'll get a daughter too! And then come the precious babies!! This is hard, but it gets better!!
    Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by cindit
    Allow yourself to be sad. It will get better as you reinvent yourself, but it takes time. And one day, he'll bring home a sweet girl and you'll get a daughter too! And then come the precious babies!! This is hard, but it gets better!!
    Had to smile at this. He swears he is not going to date until after grad school at the earliest - after his PHD if he decides he wants one. Until then, women, in his opiniion, are too needy and too expensive. Until then he has to concentrate on his studies and listens a lot to Dave Ramsey, so he pinches pennies worse than scrooge. Not that I'm complaining, but sheesh! I am hoping some cute little girl catches his eye. Course the ones he moved in with yesterday (co ed dorm), looked like they could eat him alive! And all wearing tight short shorts and tank tops that left nothing to the imagination (ok, it was 105 yesterday), and he didn't even notice. Since he didn't seem to notice the guys wearing some of the same outfits either, I guess he really is serious. :)
    Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 AM

I just sent my only child to college and i am taking it hard too. Quilting has been my sanity. get up and put one foot in front of the other and go to your sewing room even if you don;t quilt. It will help. I will keep you in my prayers.
    Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Chocolate and more tears. Then I picked up some bee pollen and away I went to the sewing room. I have 4 quilt tops done after I complained about being in a bad slump! Cheer up! We are rooting for you! It is sad to see the kids off to college but look at how much they will gain! Hugs!
    Old 08-22-2011, 11:55 AM

I cried and cried when our son got married,and he only moved to the next suburb.LOL
    Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 PM

My son lived at home for college, and then dropped out after a year, 'cause he never went to class, and flunked everything! 2 daughters went off to college, and the 2nd daughter was the one crying when her older sister left! I didn't get depressed until later. Now daughter #1 is living at home again (at age 28!!) and daughter #2 is right now in Nairobi, Kenya, on a mission trip, and when she returns, she's teaching school in Fairfax, VA....far, far from home. Oh yeah, and she managed to get malaria this trip to Kenya!!! Wonderful!!! :thumbdown: You'll get used to it, but it will take a bit of time....
    Old 08-22-2011, 12:38 PM

CONGRATULATION!!!!
    Moms some time have to show
    the world how things really are.
    J J
    Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 PM

How about making him a quilt in his schools colors and know that he will love this reminder of you. Could be a great Christmas Break Preseant.
    Old 08-22-2011, 01:19 PM

I actually had 6 kids and so this meant that I had a least one child at home at all times for 17 years straight. i also had one of those babies that the doctors told me that I wouldn't be able to take care of much past the age of 5. When he went to preschool at 4 I cried and cried and cried some more, when he left for college in anothe state (a computer geek college with scholarships from IBM paying his way) i cried and cried and cried some more, now 4 years later I still cry occasionally when I think about all of my kids being gone, but thank goodness I have grandkids to come and stay and I really am enjoying my life.
    Old 08-22-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by clynns
    You should be so proud of yourself. If your child, male or female feels secure enough to move out of the house then that means that you've taught them what they need to survive! It is wonderful. He will always need you and love you. Think of the new experiences that he will have. His first girlfriend at school and maybe down the road, grandchildren. Oh my, this is a GOOD THING. I always told everyone that I wasn't sad that my kids moved. Because it means that I gave them enough courage, adventure and security to tackle the world. Pat yourself on the back. You did GREAT!
    AMEN!!!

Now go call up every girlfriend you have - even the ones you have not seen in a while and go out for coffee or lunch or something to get you out of the house. Do this often! And when you go, find something funny to laugh about. If you still need to cry when you get home, that's OK, as long as you remember you are sad because you miss him, not sorry he is succeeding in life.