just a warning....

Old 08-26-2011, 09:42 AM

Just for information the exterminator told my son that they lay their eggs anywhere - in the cracks of the wood in the furniture such as the bed frames, frames of the sofas, behind the baseboards - any crack they can find. Simply disposing of the upholstered furniture or the mattress will not take care of the problem. Ann in TN
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 AM

Wish I lived closer and could help out by getting her a new chair & bed. It isn't her fault and it will get better for her. She has faith and that helps. Tell her everyone on this board is sending her hugs and prayers for things to get better.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:16 AM

Steam escapes from boiling water at 212 degrees F. Do those steam cleaners work on furniture?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:46 AM

Prayers and hugs go to her. Maybe someone that she has helped in the past will put on their big girl panties and step up. ;)
Old 08-26-2011, 11:50 AM

Wish she was here. I have a set of nice double mattresses that are bug free! I recently purchased a piece of used furniture and set it on the front porch. Between the heat and spraying with lysol twice daily nothing had a chance to make it inside! I buy lots of men's shirts from goodwill, even buy flannel sheets for batting, all go into the wash immediately. Wish your sister well; invite her to be here! Thanks!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Thank you for the warning!! I never thought about the furniture. Virg
Old 08-26-2011, 12:20 PM

My daughter somehow got bedbugs in her house. Wow!! It was amazing how many times the exterminator had to go to her house. My daughter and her husband had to vacuum everything, take the bed apart and vacuum every part every day. My daughter was allergic to their bites and swelled up every place they bit her. It was terrible.
We saw on the web that Cedarcide would kill bedbugs. She ordered some and sprayed that stuff all around. She said she had every window open and every fan on.
I really try to be careful about anything I bring into the house. I pray that I never get them. Smells bother me and sometimes I get migraines if I am exposed.
Teachers can tell you that if any student gets headlice, it can spread to the whole class. Their coats/hats etc. are all hung on one wall - the lice hop from one coat to another in order to find the warmest spot. They have to put every child's coat/hat etc. in a garbage bag and tie it us so bubs can't get in or out. The rest of us seem to itch and scratch just thinking about it.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:35 PM

That is so horrible. I feel so badly for her and I can only imagine what a horrible time she is having. Thank you for the information.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:13 PM

Excellent advice. Bedbugs are in epidemic proportions in the U.S. It typically has to do with the amount of travel that takes place. Bedbugs hitchhike. There was a special about them on History International called Bedbug Armegeddon. Very informative. We now spray down (with alcohol)after going to the movies, since this was named as a place that is often contaminated.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:18 PM

Sorry about your sister. I am counting my blessings that that hasn't happened to me, Her story will make me more discrete in purchasing used furniture in the future. Hugs to your sister