Kayaking.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:43 PM

Kayaking is fantastic! We(hubby and I) have a tandem sit on top and we fish from it and can take along a cooler with lunch in it. It is a great hobby and can make you feel as though you are alone in the world even in Miami, FL! You go girl!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:17 PM

DH just bought me one this summer for my 50th Bday gift. It really is SOOOO much fun. And living on a farm with teenagers it is great to make time for US. Enjoy!!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:49 PM

Dear Ashlett - I am so happy you finally tried kayaking. I have been involved in the sport in a major way for over 30 years. I was partners in a design/manufacturing company with a dear friend for many years and I taught both my girls who have gone on to compete in kayak racing for longer than I can remember. In 2000, my eldest girl came in 7th in Sprint Races at the Empire State Games held in Binghamton, NY.
One thing you need to know is that you must try out several kayaks before you buy one. Not all kayaks fit all bodies. Go for one that is wide and stable and has some sort of skeg (fin) on the bottom to help you track straight. Sit in the boats, try them out on the water. If your legs fall asleep, try another boat.
Make sure you are able to pick up your kayak on your own, with out help. Fiberglass or Kevlar kayaks are the best, but there are some decent models out there made of PVC for the beginner. Do your homework. Over the years I've seen too many people run out and buy a kayak and then find they're so dissatisfied with their purchase.
Educate yourself before you put your money down on the counter - it'll be time well spent. Good kayak shops will make sure you get the one that will best suit your needs.
Good Luck and Happy Paddling!!
P.S. One last thing - you might want to check out some kayaking classes in your area just to learn the basics and safety aspects of the sport. I used to run a series of classes at an indoor pool, but that pool was shut down for renovations. Won't re-open till next year.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:02 PM

Have been "Paddlin" for 15 years and never tire of it. Favorite place to get my paddle wet is in Florida Keys. Only advice might be to consider weight of what you buy as you will be lifting it on top of vehicle. We ended up buying hullevators.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:12 PM

My husband and I kayak...we have the peddle variety . He fishes and I take
pictures....they are very stable and you have no where to get stuck!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:04 PM

Our kayaks are permanent "fixtures" on our tow car behind our motor home.... along with our bikes. We love the kayaks and used them always when on our 37 ft sailboat sailing Canadian waters. They were much easier to launch (than the dinghy), stable, and you can really sneak up on seals, birds and otters cause they can't hear you coming...... It is an easy sport to learn and if you stay on flat water you probably can't get into too much trouble. There was a place in Canada called Squirrel Cove where we would anchor the boat. There was a reversing lagoon that (with the tides in and out) would have a small RAPID.... OMG! We had soooo much fun in that little rapid...... You would have thot we were doing class 5's......
Old 10-05-2011, 05:13 PM

66 and still paddling.Enjoy while you're still young.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:14 PM

I got a kayak for my 50th birthday. It is so enjoyable when its just you and the loons on the lake early mornings. ENJOY
Old 10-05-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
Some friends of mine loaned us their kayaks and DH and I loved them. We're too old to buy and use frequently, but would be nice to borrow occasionally. By the way, they're the type that you sit on top - if you tip over you're not trapped.

http://sterlingharbor.com/oceanKayaks.htm
Only kayaks meant to be used in white water have the skirts that keep you in and water out. If ours tip over, we go in the drink! DH has tipped one over a couple of times - once when we first got them and he wanted to know how to right the kayak and get back in the boat...the other time he was trying to flip over a turtle on the bank and flipped himself instead :lol:
Old 10-05-2011, 07:01 PM

Hope you enjoy it! It's a lot of fun. I've done a little bit of kayaking but I think I'll stick to lakes from now on. Never tried river kayaking, but I've had two too many memorable experiences on the ocean to ever want to try it again!