Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Knee replacement....will I be able to sew? >
  • Knee replacement....will I be able to sew?

• Knee replacement....will I be able to sew?

Old 04-04-2011, 07:27 PM

When I had my left knee replacement I wasn't able to work at longarming, recovery and range of motion was very slow to return..had lots of therapy..it was 2 very long months before I could even think of working. But when I had the right one done, it was a piece of cake, a couple of home therapy sessions then a couple more at the rehab facility and I was good to go..drove myself too. I was back to work at 3 wks.
    Wishing you lots of luck! Hope it goes smooth for you.
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM

I have had total knee replacement to one knee so far. The other will be on the chopping block later this year. I am a nurse but believe me it did not help to be one. Be sure to get a CPM machine that keeps continuous passive motion on the knee. Use ice and get some good drugs for pain! This will get you thorugh the first 2 weeks. After that you will be surprised how quickly you recover.
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Deedles
    Desi..I know, I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize at the end!

I was thinking about 3 weeks and I should be able to quilt or sew a little between sessions. Oh well!

I'm going to have the right one done first so I'm prepared for no driving...just trying to get mentally prepared an what to expect!!!
    Think hand piecing for a while, like 3D bow tie blocks.
    Those go fast!
    Or applique blocks, like some kind of modern or traditional Baltimore album...maybe? Or embroidered blocks?
    or a village scene - or any other kind of scene.!
    Or a fancy sunbonnet sue or other critters?
    Those can be fun and take your mind off the ice/ect!
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 PM

I have had 2 replacements. Both were a few years ago, & at the time my sewing was in the basement. I didn't do steps much for about 6 weeks, so not much sewing for me then.
    Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Deedles
    Both my knees need total replacements. That's scarey enough but what in the world am I gonna do all that time I'm recuperating? I've already got yarn to knit socks and I'm hoping I'll be able to sit long enough to sit at my quilt frame. But I think what I'll miss most is sewing.

So I thought I'd ask here if any of you have had knee replacements. If so just what kind of restrictions you had and how long it lasted. I'm prepared to spend the next year in PT but at what point can I get back to my normal 'sitting' life?
    I've had both knees replaced--ten years apart. For the first few weeks, the only position you should be in is either lying down or standing. Sitting for a prolonged time is not good. You will get instructions about rehab. Follow them and you will get well faster. In preparation, get some hand work--embroider some blocks for your next big quilt. You can do that lying down--I did, so I know it can be done. Plan to read all those books you've been meaning to read. Soak yourself in old movies on TCM.
    Get some funny DVDs. And sleep a lot.

I never took any pain killer stronger than extra strength Tylenol. Side effects from the narcotics were worse than the discomfort, which, after I got out of the hospital wasn't all that bad.

You will be so glad you got those new knees. Don't put it off too long. froggyintexas
    Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 PM

Good luck with your knee replacement, and please do all the therapy they have for you. I don't know how old you are, but it takes longer when you have aged like I have. I had one done, but I won't do it again. I pray yours turns out to be wonderful and pain free. Happy quilting.....
    Blessings dear one.
    Old 04-04-2011, 09:43 PM

I haven;t had a knee replacement but last October I had my right leg amputated below knee. I thought that was the end of my sewing I am a long arm quilter. My dh was so wonderful he pulled me through my darkest days and I made a few tops and have been on my long arm machine since the end of January so keep posative and do what you can, you will pull through and keep smiling and hugs to you
    Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 AM

Deedles...I had a knee replacement five years ago; one of the best things I ever did for myself. I was an Operating Nurse at the time and went back to work at 8 weeks and did fine, pushing stretchers, transferring patients, etc. The most important thing is to follow your surgeon's post-op instructions exactly; commit yourself to do your physical therapy exercises exactly as and when instructed. Secondly, be patient with yourself and give your body time to heal. Remember that although the surgery was on your knee, your entire body was affected by the anesthesia, the pain meds, etc. The better care you take of yourself initially, the sooner you will return to full function, usually better than ever. Don't compare your experiences to anyone else's, everyone has a different response. There is absolutely no reason for you not to return to sewing and be more comfortable as you do. Some others have suggested to have some handwork set aside for the time being. That is what I did; I didn't quilt at the time, but had lots of crochet yarn and patterns at hand. Good Luck.
    Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Deedles, I had a knee replacement a little over a year ago. I didn't feel like, or have time for much for the first 3 weeks, between therapy, ice packs, resting, etc. But you might have some hand work available, as each person is different. However, it was only 2 months after surgery and I attended Machine Quilters Showcase in Kansas City for 3 days, took classes, walked the vendors mall and enjoyed the quilts. I didn't do much in the evenings but rest and put the leg up, but I was able to go and enjoy it. And that was my goal. You just need to keep being active and moving around, sewing will not be a problem. Good luck with the surgery.
    Old 04-05-2011, 05:24 PM

Deedles: it is so worth it. I was sure I would never let anyone cut my bones (for knee replacement)... until I got to the point of either wheelchair or knee replacement before I ever went in to see a surgeon. Silly me.

On March 11, 2011 I had my left hip replacement. I should be complete now. In 2008 I had both knees replaced within six months of each other. Following the second one I had my right hip replaced.

Surgery is not fun and each one is different but in today's technology we are truly blessed with what they can do with us!!!

Prior to having this last one done I was living a fully normal life following the first 3 surgeries. I could again carry my newborn grandchildren, get in and out of a car, carry things across the room and get in and out of a boat without worrying that I was golng to easliy topple into the water and create a spectacle of myself.

Let's see, it has been 3.5 weeks and I have been at my sewing machine for a week now. It is a bit different with knees in that you have to do physical therapy to get that knee to bend. You would be surprised what you can do if you are motivated. You just might not be able to stay at the machine for as long as previously... for a while. But, I guarantee you, that will pass and before long you will wonder why you ever waited so long.

Hope this and all of the others who have written to you have encouraged you. Just pick a surgeon that lots of your friends have gone to and been happy with. OH, also, my surgeons work with the only hospital in our area that have computer aided eqipment for very precision joint replacement. God bless you. Linda :-D