Knoxville, Tennessee Food

Old 06-14-2024, 04:54 AM

Default Knoxville, Tennessee Food

I'm going to attend the Smoky Mountain Quilters of TN Quilt Show in Knoxville next week. I've never been to Tennessee before. What kind of food are they known for? Do you know of any restaurants in Knoxville that would serve regional fare?
Old 06-14-2024, 05:21 AM

Haven't been out that way myself -- but when we are traveling and looking for food, we check on Guy Fieri and Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives and I found this:
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/enter...s/70443026007/

We usually look at the Trip Advisor site and go through options until we narrow a few down. Nice thing about that is it can tell you everything from expensive to cheap (or at least drive through).
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...Tennessee.html
Not cheap but there is a Brazilian Steakhouse -- hubby would give up BBQ to go there

And then we do travel for/by BBQ
https://cityviewmag.com/barbeque-and-you/

Among notable/been on TV is Sweet P BBQ
https://www.sweetpbbq.com/

Old 06-14-2024, 05:29 AM

We always as the desk clerk at the hotel where they would eat if they were going out with family. Anywhere that's not a chain restaurant. We've gotten some pretty good places.
Old 06-14-2024, 03:05 PM

There is a local "chain" that includes Copper Cellar (steak, "American" fare), Cappuccino's (Italian), Calhoun's (ribs/BBQ) and Chesapeake's (seafood). All of these restaurants are very good. Another local "chain" is the Connor Concepts restaurants, including Connor's (steak/seafood) and Chop House (also steak/seafood - there is one 5-6 miles from the Expo center). These are also very good. Chop House is one of our favorite Sunday lunch places.

Knoxville has been used for years as a test market for new restaurants and concepts, and a lot of the chains that you go to started (and stayed!) here.

As far as something we are known for, I don't think there is really anything that is distinctive about our food preferences. We seem to have a lot of BBQ, ranging from Calhoun's (nicer) to Buddy's (more like fast food). We do have several local BBQ places that get good reviews. Dead End comes to mind; I've eaten there twice and the BBQ was outstanding, but the sides were nothing special. Also Archer's BBQ gets good reviews, but I've never eaten there.

For burgers and desserts, Litton's is about 4-5 miles from the Expo center and is very good. All the desserts are made by a local baker - my personal favorite is the Italian Cream Cake. We have no end of independent Mexican restaurants. There are a ton of restaurants in the downtown area. I like the Downtown Grill & Brewery. There are also a lot of smaller places downtown and in the "old city" and most of them are good.

Near the Expo Center you will find a Pizza Inn (Pizza buffet), Outback (chain), Red Lobster, and Cheddar's (chain - basic food/good value). A bit to the north right off I-75 you will find Aubrey's - another local chain that is very popular. There are actually several mid-level restaurants at the Emory Road exit off I-75. The Expo center is at exit 108, and Emory Road is exit 112.

There is an AWESOME Chinese place about 10 miles west of the Expo center at the Walker Springs exit off I-40 called Asia Kitchen. It is probably my and my wife's favorite restaurant in Knoxville.

If there is a particular type of food you want to sample, post again on this thread and I will ask around and try to find something to suit your taste. I don't eat out as much as I have in the past, but I work with a couple of gadabouts that love to try all the new places.

We plan to be at the quilt show also. It's a pretty big one and we enjoy browsing there every year.
Old 06-14-2024, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the low down on all the yummy places to eat! I've entered three quilts in the show this year. I entered two last year and received an honorable mention for one of them. The judges comments were the nicest I have ever received. It made me want to enter again this year. The quilts are Vortex, Scrappy Sue, and Sheep Barn if you'd like to look for them.

Originally Posted by wesing
There is a local "chain" that includes Copper Cellar (steak, "American" fare), Cappuccino's (Italian), Calhoun's (ribs/BBQ) and Chesapeake's (seafood). All of these restaurants are very good. Another local "chain" is the Connor Concepts restaurants, including Connor's (steak/seafood) and Chop House (also steak/seafood - there is one 5-6 miles from the Expo center). These are also very good. Chop House is one of our favorite Sunday lunch places.

Knoxville has been used for years as a test market for new restaurants and concepts, and a lot of the chains that you go to started (and stayed!) here.

As far as something we are known for, I don't think there is really anything that is distinctive about our food preferences. We seem to have a lot of BBQ, ranging from Calhoun's (nicer) to Buddy's (more like fast food). We do have several local BBQ places that get good reviews. Dead End comes to mind; I've eaten there twice and the BBQ was outstanding, but the sides were nothing special. Also Archer's BBQ gets good reviews, but I've never eaten there.

For burgers and desserts, Litton's is about 4-5 miles from the Expo center and is very good. All the desserts are made by a local baker - my personal favorite is the Italian Cream Cake. We have no end of independent Mexican restaurants. There are a ton of restaurants in the downtown area. I like the Downtown Grill & Brewery. There are also a lot of smaller places downtown and in the "old city" and most of them are good.

Near the Expo Center you will find a Pizza Inn (Pizza buffet), Outback (chain), Red Lobster, and Cheddar's (chain - basic food/good value). A bit to the north right off I-75 you will find Aubrey's - another local chain that is very popular. There are actually several mid-level restaurants at the Emory Road exit off I-75. The Expo center is at exit 108, and Emory Road is exit 112.

There is an AWESOME Chinese place about 10 miles west of the Expo center at the Walker Springs exit off I-40 called Asia Kitchen. It is probably my and my wife's favorite restaurant in Knoxville.

If there is a particular type of food you want to sample, post again on this thread and I will ask around and try to find something to suit your taste. I don't eat out as much as I have in the past, but I work with a couple of gadabouts that love to try all the new places.

We plan to be at the quilt show also. It's a pretty big one and we enjoy browsing there every year.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:13 PM
Power Poster

Barbecue is pretty big in Tenn. Ask the locals where the best barbecue in town is. I like rub on my ribs, better than sauce.

Good luck in the show, Jenn. Your quilts are awesome!
Old 06-15-2024, 03:12 AM

I wish you well at the quilt show. Your work is always stunning but I suspect you kick it up even a bit more for a show. I will go a searching for you photos. I still see the little sailboats, was it called "Regatta"? when I imagine your fine work.

Good luck on finding local eateries. It is always fun to explore and then eat local fare.
Old 06-17-2024, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by toverly
We always as the desk clerk at the hotel where they would eat if they were going out with family. Anywhere that's not a chain restaurant. We've gotten some pretty good places.
My friend and I flew into Kansas City on our way to Missouri Star for a retreat in 2021. I asked the guy at the car rental counter where the best place for KC BBQ was. Boy did he steer us wrong. It was the worst BBQ I've ever had. I thought about it and told my friend it was my mistake because he was a scrawny white kid. I should have found an older chubby black guy to ask, they always know where the best food is! 😆😆