Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Kooking, Kleaning, Kwilting, Kyaking, oh my! >
  • Kooking, Kleaning, Kwilting, Kyaking, oh my!

• Kooking, Kleaning, Kwilting, Kyaking, oh my!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 PM

DH has been trying to get me in a kayak for a long time. I like my canoe, but not sure about a kayak. I don't have the greatest balance in the world.
    Old 09-08-2010, 09:11 PM

My 63 year old DS loves her kayak, her bicycle, hiking, walking, reading, taveling, etc. She and her 40ish DS go as often as they can and now that she is retired she is finding there really is a life besides teaching third graders for 30 plus years!

Go for it! Have fun! Life's too short to sit around feeling sorry for yourself.
    Old 09-09-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by grammyp
    DH has been trying to get me in a kayak for a long time. I like my canoe, but not sure about a kayak. I don't have the greatest balance in the world.
    Kayaks are really safer than a canoe. Canoes sit on top of the water and kayaks sit down in and so the stability is greater. I always feel safe in one. We were out renting a canoe awhile back and I told my husband next time we will have to bring our kayak. You should try it. It is very safe.

We have the touring kayaks not the white water kind. But they are very safe.
    Old 09-09-2010, 06:23 AM

the water in my front yard is a pond we dug in order to build a hill to build our house on, it's on pilings too. Most of the recent rain was south of us, we got just enough. I debated on a canoe because it looks like you can carry more stuff or 2 people, decided on a 10" kayak, it does take some practice getting in and out and I'm pretty klutzy but I learned how. I was nervous about the gators my husband encounters but he said they just lay there and watch, if you get too close they go under but none ever come in for a closer look, whew! He went fishing last week with artificial baits, you kow lots of small hooks hanging everywhere, he had hooked a gar and when he reached to get the line the gar shook loose but hung a hook in hubby's finger, HARD. he didn't have anything in the kayak to cut the hook so he had to paddle in, load the kayak in the truck and drive home with it dangling from his finger. of course it was in his right hand, he did manage to het the hook cut loose from the lure but couldn't get it out of his finger, when I got home from work I tried and couldn't either so we had to go to the doctor, of course "real" men don't go to the doctor for such things so he was pretty upset. LOL, I sure hope I don't have a story about me after our trip today! :shock:
    Old 09-09-2010, 06:30 AM

have fun
    Old 09-09-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
    the water in my front yard is a pond we dug in order to build a hill to build our house on, it's on pilings too. Most of the recent rain was south of us, we got just enough. I debated on a canoe because it looks like you can carry more stuff or 2 people, decided on a 10" kayak, it does take some practice getting in and out and I'm pretty klutzy but I learned how. I was nervous about the gators my husband encounters but he said they just lay there and watch, if you get too close they go under but none ever come in for a closer look, whew! He went fishing last week with artificial baits, you kow lots of small hooks hanging everywhere, he had hooked a gar and when he reached to get the line the gar shook loose but hung a hook in hubby's finger, HARD. he didn't have anything in the kayak to cut the hook so he had to paddle in, load the kayak in the truck and drive home with it dangling from his finger. of course it was in his right hand, he did manage to het the hook cut loose from the lure but couldn't get it out of his finger, when I got home from work I tried and couldn't either so we had to go to the doctor, of course "real" men don't go to the doctor for such things so he was pretty upset. LOL, I sure hope I don't have a story about me after our trip today! :shock:
    Gators in Texas?????????? Oh my! Hope hubby heals up quickly and yall have a fun safe trip.
    Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 AM

If that's in your front yard, then one thing that has already gone is lawn mowing.

Sure wish I had access to such a lovely, quiet way of spending time. Everything seems to be so much louder nowadays that I yearn for peace and quiet..have even cancelled my cable, and rarely watch movies that I have.
    Old 09-09-2010, 10:51 AM

no we still have plenty yard to mow, it's 5 acres.