Lactose Intolerance

Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

We buy the Lactose free here too. I dont really care for the soy milk!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
If you try soy, I suggest starting with Silk brand Vanilla -- tastes better to me than others.
This is my preferred brand too, I really like the chocolate also:D:D:D

PS
I mentioned soy milk to DD, she bought the packages off of the shelf and told me they tasted horrible!! I tasted them and she was right LOL
The only ones I had/will buy are out of the refrigerated section, there is a BIG difference in taste :D:D:D
Old 02-17-2011, 04:54 PM

My whole family loves rice milk original. We do not have problems with cooked items with milk, only whEn we drink it.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:42 PM

One of my daughters was born allergic to milk and wheat, which in itself included lots of other grains. I made her almond milk for a long time after I weaned her from the breast, and thank God for doing that!! Sure did give her a good start.
I would soak almonds overnight, then put them in a little bit of warm water and blend well, then strain and use the milk. The almond residue went into cereals and breads for the rest of us.

Mlik is in a lot of prepared foods, you have to really look at labels. As a volunteer in a hospital, I had lunch with several hospital workers in dietary who were wondering why some patients were having bad reactions to their foods, when they were very careful to follow whatever the doctor ordered. Then one of them said that she always used some milk substitute for cereal and coffee and mentioned a brand I'd already refused for my daughter. When I told her, the boss lady sneered..SHE was the expert and who was I?? So I told her to look for an ingredient called sodium caseinate, which had caused my DD to have an asthma attack. And that it came from milk.
She knew better, but did go to look up that ingredient, and returned to apologize because she'd gone by the label, which did say "non diary." She said she'd no longer use that brand of milk substitute. And I'll bet she read all the labels that came into the kitchen after that!!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:44 PM

From what I've been reading on the Internet, we've all been
brain washed about Soy. And a Japanese friend of mine says that Orientals mostly use Soy only in fermented foods, like Miso, and not that much of it. She tends to eat mostly rice dishes with lots of veggies and Miso, and is still as pretty as she was in 1984 when I first met her!!
Wish I could say the same.