Land vs. Cell

Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by bodie358
Only thing you need a land-line for is to fax. Dump it and save $$$$$$$$.
This is true. And there have been about 3 times in the last 5 years where not being able to fax was a HUGE inconvience. However it seems ever more popular to scan the item and email to people!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by sandilee
Have you given up your land line phone and using your cell phone now as your primary service?
We are thinking about doing this.
Wondering what the pros/cons are? Please share.
I've been on only cell phone for over 8 years, no land line!
I notice only a few easily adjusted to problems:
1. Putting the cell down somewhere and "loosing" it.
2. Forgetting to charge it on a timely schedule.
3. Forgetting to pick it up and put in my purse when I leave the house.
4. Not easy to "look up" someone's cell number.
5. And the occasionally irritating 2-year-contract issue.

My pros are:
1. MY choice for which server I want to use, which style of phone. (Many areas have only one landline server, such as Verizon or AT&T.)
2. Always available for calls if I want to be.
3. Some cell phones, plans allow internet searches, email checks, etc., anywhere/anytime with your cell.
4. Not easy for people I don't care about to find my number or call me.
5. I can use my cell as an alarm, calculator, calendar, text messager, and other things. And I have only a basic cell style!
6. As mentioned above, I can use my cell for 911 anywhere and the call is directed to the local 911 service of the area I'm in.

I love having only a cell!

Jan in VA

Jan said it all! I have had my cell only for about 4 years and have no intention of getting a landline again! In fact I am typing on it right now!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:54 PM

So far we have both...land and cell phones. Our land line is thru Comcast as is our cable and internet service. Currently comcast has a problem in providing us land line service now. I'm thinking me might just drop the land line and just use cell phones. We have verizon as our cell phone service providers..but there are spots in our house that you can't get good cell reception. Has anyone used the verizon cell phone "mini tower" or whatever they call it that you buy for about $150 that is supposed to boost your cell reception in you home? I'm considering getting that for the house and droping the comcast phone. I'd love your input on this subject, either in a pm or on this string.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by cctx.
Originally Posted by grannypat7925
Can't cancel land line here. I have digital phone with bundle with Cable and Internet. If I cancel phone part they up the price on the rest and it would end up costing me more.
That's another reason why I can't cancel our land line.
It's a bundle package with home phone, high speed internet and digital cable with DVR.
If I cancel our land line, the bundle package bill will remain the same, so may as well keep the land line.
Are you using Comcast for the bundle?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:00 PM

We didn't have a landline for a year. drove me nuts. If you cells don't stay charged then you miss calls. If the reception isn't spot on then you miss calls. If you go from one room to another you can drop calls..

Needless to say I was relieved when we bought the house we lived in now and we HAD to have a landline becuase we don't have any cell service at our house!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 PM

I can't give up our landline.....

we have had this number for 8 yrs. Family members have scattered in the wind. When they finally find their way they know the number.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:03 PM

Yes, we gave our land line up in 2009 after Mama passed away. I was afraid to, before, in case the cell phone was down and they couldn't reach me if Mama got suddenly worse.

Our two cell phones are almost as cheap as the Land line was and we have a good national calling plan and the service is never out. We saved almost $70 dollars by getting rid of the land line. We have so many minutes on our plan that we never use them all. We have US Cellular and have never had a problem and we have been with them for more than 15 years.

We never have dropped calls regardless where we go. They stay charged well. We charge ours every other day, regardless of whether they are going down or not. We have the Motorola Flip phone the type the Armed Forces use. They can be dropped in water and left 30 minutes, doesn't bother them, dropped on the ground or concrete and are still O.K. We love them.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I would use cell only but we can't get cell reception where we live.:(
We are in the same boat.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
no i still have one land line phone. i'm not pleased when the power goes out that my portable lines don't work. but then, who do i call when the power is out? not many people. i'm just old fashioned. i only use my cell phone for car emergencies too....
I'm in the same boat...(cruise ship). I also am old fashioned and like having the land line phone handy, especially since it is a hand set and base variety and I'm not limited by a cord. I also use my cell for emergencies, especially since my legs are starting to bother me. I keep it with me in case "I've fallen and I can't get up!" I also take it with me when out shopping "just in case". For anything else, I can wait until I get home. :lol: :thumbup:
Old 06-10-2011, 12:35 AM

I gave up land several years ago. Just make sure your cell plan is good for your needs.